You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Ghost Horse

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Horse

 

This really isn't a story it is just different experiences. We built our house 4 years ago. We remember when we bought the property that the guy we bought it from said 120 or so years ago a farmer owned it. The farmer was plowing the field with his horse when it was shot by a local hunter. The horse dropped dead and the farmer buried it right there. He said he hears the horse at night when he's plowing or combining, I thought he was joking.

During the night I wake up to sounds of a horse whinnying and galloping. I've never heard of a ghost horse before. The closest horses are 2-3 miles away so I don't think it is them. I have never actually seen it. It has been happening for a year or so. The first time it happened I thought one of the local horses got loose so I went outside and nothing was there so I figured it ran away. I called all the people with horses nearby they had all there horses. I thought it was weird. I heard the horse again a few nights later then I remember what the guy we bought the property said to us. So I figured it is the horse.

If it really is a ghost horse how would you people recommend communicating with it. I really do not know where to start. I have read a bunch of other stories about people communicating with spirits/ghosts but they all deal with talking. Obviously horses do not know english. Is it me or are ghost animals possible.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jrfricke, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Lukerobinson (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-09)
I think that some animals are just like us when they pass on. They need someone to help them. Try to think about the horse and try to connect with it.
keno11 (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-05)
umm try and call ghost investigators (sorry for spelling) and learn what the name of the horse is and they can try to call it and see if it comes sorry if I sound werid but it's just an idea because it might work I watch those shows all the time
KoltenAspen (39 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-13)
Hey
I love horses they are my favourite animal I have been searching ghost stories for ages just to find a story about a ghost horse. I feel horrible that that horse got shot by a local hunter 😠 I mean like didn't he see it plowing who ever shot the horse is a stupid idiot anyway if I was you I would search for the horse and try and communicate with him/her and tell him/her that its ok to leave now and the horse probably feels that he hasn't got the job done and he has failed at one thing he did well but he hasn't failed he has got the job done and it's time to leave and go to heaven with all his horse friends 😊
Boldylocks (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-06)
You are definitely hearing that horse that died 120 years ago. During these past few years- starting in the 1990's, I've been having experiences with the angelic and supernatural myself, that has 100% convinced me.

Animals may not have spirits--the part of we have that communicates directly with God-- but they have Souls, and souls do not die after the physical body dies.

My late dog Mandy-- a shepherd husky mix dog we had was put to sleep back in 2007 from complications due to diabetes. I felt her presence with me outside of my office building hours before I knew she was actually put to sleep an hour before I felt her presence there.

Then months later in January, my mother and I both heard her familiar howl she always made in the livingroom area-- at the area she always lay at.

My mother didn't know I heard, and I didn't know my mother heard her, and neither of us told each other until she blurted it out some weeks later to my father.

When I heard Mandy, I called for her in my mind to come upstairs and be with me. Suddenly I felt this rush of energy move right up to the left side of my bed facing the door-- and I felt what I can only describe as joy and relief-- and this energetic licking on my face:-)

It is an experience that will remain with me all the days of my life-- I now have my confirmation that animals do not die after their body does.

Now I will pray for every animal, whose body I see laying dead on the sides of our roads- as it is not uncommon to see dead rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons and possum laying dead on our roads from drivers going 100 mph speeding. I pray for the deer and bear now too during hunting season.

Pray for that horse-- and as everyone reccomended here- reach out to him/her as you would a horse in the physical body. If you know his/her name, then call out to it.

Ask that angels may direct it away from this earthly plane to a better area for it. Animals that die suddenly, as what happened with this horse and that hunter, are like humans who die suddenly. They don't realize they are dead physically and they can't move on -- they need help and prayers.
Direct loving energy towards this horse and call out to it whenever you hear it.

~~~hugs
paranormal_amy003 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-12)
horse expert here! 😁

To comminucate with them, it doesn't matter if they know english or not, they can still hear you and know if your being nice or not. They know when your happy or sad... And they will listen.

Horses love treats, so maybe walk around the land with a bag of carrots (depending on the night or day time thing--depnds on when you hear the horse) and walk around with them and just talk. Normal conversations wtih the horse, because yet, it may not understand you, it knows what your meaning is and can hear you.

Good luck!
jrfricke (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-09)
I tried a lot of what you all said and it is hard to find the horse because it doesn't happen every night. I tried sitting on my back deck between 11-12 p.m. Since May 5th. I haven't heard anything yet and it is making me mad. Thanks for all your help.
t3h_h0bbitz (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-07)
Wow. For some reason this sort of thing doesn't scare me as much as most ghost stories. Have you seen it at all?
celtcharm (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
Jrfricke, Ghostseer submitted an experience a while back called, "A Plastic Bag full of Cow Bones". It reminded me of your lost horse spirit friend. In it she talks about witnessing ethereal beings herding the cow spirits. Hopefully your horse friend will find his way to where he's supposed to go.
I enjoyed the other posters comments.
Kecoughtan, I love your story about your grandfather's Belgian horses. I grew up on a farm in Connecticut. My grandfather and father used and loved work horses so your story touched my heart. Peace, Celtcharm 😊
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-05)
Heyy thanks for sharing this experience. This one is very new, atleast to me. For now I don't know how to help you but guess it won't be a problem, you try talking to the same man who let you know about this, ask him if it has caused any problem. Try finding out if any of the locals know about this issue. Take Care.
celtcharm (29 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
Hello Jrfricke
I found your experience very interesting. I'm a horse trainer and have horses of my own. I find that when horses whinney as they're galloping, they're usually looking to connect with other horses. They're herd animals by nature and like to be with their own kind. This particular horse spirit may be "lost". He may be looking for other horses that were on the farm at the same time with him when he was alive, his owner or the comforts of his barn. Things most likely are different now than they were when he was alive. If it was happening on my land, I would most likely try to comfort him as if he were a flesh and blood horse. When I get a new horse in to train, they're often very nervous and I speak quietly to them and give them treats and before I know it, they trust me. Once they trust me, I develop a bond with them. Maybe if you make contact, you can encourage him to be on his way. It may just be a residual haunting. Good luck! I really enjoyed your experience! Good Luck! Peace, Celtcharm
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, jrfricke. I think the postings offer some good questions and advice to you. My immediate question is how do you characterize the whinning? Is it playful and spirited, tense and aggitated, or alarmed and in flight? I think it is important to try to establish its mood first. If you haven't been around horses, it may be difficult to determine.

As 3nj0y indicated, horses are very emotional, dynamic mammals, and their interactions with humans are very complex. My grandfather was raised on a farm and he used to tell delightful stories about how intelligent, individualistic, and sensative their Belgian workhorses were. The first time Grandpa plowed by himself, he looked behind only to see crooked furrows snaking back and forth. After plowing several more meandering rows he stopped the horses in the shade of a tree. He told the team that he had no idea what he was doing, but they did and he would never whip them if they pulled straight rows. He gave them each a sugar cube and turned them around for the next pass. He let go of the reigns and those two horses plowed a perfectly straight row. My great-great-uncles could never figure why "his" rows were always the straightest. Grandpa said he always talked to the horses just like a they were people. He shared his problems, hopes, and joked with them. He was convinced the horses understood him. Who knows, with some sugar cubes and an honest conversation, you might be able to, too. 😉 Best of luck with this and please keep us posted on any additional details and developments. Thanks.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
I've refrained from posting on here for a while, but this is rather intersting.

I'm with Lou on the whole "animal spirits". After my dog passed away I would often hear his dog tags "jingling" (then again it could have just been my mind...)

Anyway: I'm not familiar with communicating with animals.::Insert Horse Whisperer Joke::

You could look into a "animal physic". Although, make sure they are credible. You don't want to waste money on this.

My suggestion:If you know where the horse is buried maybe plant a small garden or floral bush? Or maybe just plant something somewhere else as a little "Memoriam".

Quick Question: Is the sound of the horse galloping and whinning bothering you?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
jr,
This is probably not going to work, but if it were me, I would be interested in proving this haunt. Get a trailtimer/motion-activated camera that hunters use to capture wildlife activity when they are not in the woods. I think if you make an offering to this animal spirit, it would respond. Hang a bunch of carrots or a bridle, something it would recognize, in the camera's focus area. I have a great picture of a dog spirit that inhabited a building I own, so I know animal spirits exist... Its worth a try.

Lou
3nj0y (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
Get an animal psychic in to see if they can pick up anything and possibly put an end to this long-active haunt. Otherwise, Talk to the horse and tell it that it's ok to leave now, That he served his purpose and that it's not his fault; That he had no control over what happened, And that his time on this earth is long over.
I own a horse, and they CAN understand us, More than we realise... Horses are amazingly emotional creatures, I have a feeling that this is haunting has been dormant for years; But was somehow activated by the disturbance of the horse's remains when the land was being worked.
This particular work horse most likely feels that he/she never got the job done (plowing the fields); Perhaps the horse's soul has a feeling of incompleteness as a result... Many people will think I am crazy for this, But as somebody who understands how horses can be; I think that this horse feels like he failed at the one thing he did well.

Best of luck, 3nj0y.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-04)
well if humans can be ghostes, why not animals? There is a way to talk to it. Most of the time animals understand what humans are saying but not the other way around. Well if you have somthing that can record, use it when you hear the hores to hear anything you may understand.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: