You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: There Came A Dark Horse

Real Ghost Stories

There Came A Dark Horse

 

This account was told to me many, many years ago by my favourite Uncle (and "partner in crime" Lol!).

Way back in the 1940's, before our double highways were built, the way to the Cape lay down narrow, winding roads. Often, the roads were badly sign posted, so it was very easy to get lost.

During this time, my uncle Norm and his friend took a trip to Cape Town to visit his aunt (my Gran's sister.) The journey from Kimberley to Cape Town was a long one. Usually, this trip was made over two days. So, they planned to sleep over at Beaufort West, Laingsburg or any other "dorpie" (small town) that they found themselves in when they grew tired.

Somewhere, in the Great Karoo they took a wrong turn. Dusk found them travelling down a very narrow dirt road. To their consternation, the car engine suddenly cut out and they rolled to a dusty halt. Percy tried a few times to restart the car, but to no avail. Norm got out the crank (in those days, the cars had a special slot in the front grill where you could insert a longish piece of metal with a handle) to start the car... All in vain.

Darkness was closing in fast. As they stood in the sandy road, wondering what to do, they spied a light twinkling off to their left. Thinking that there must be a farmhouse with the lanterns lit, Percy decided to go for help, while Norm stayed with the car.

Percy started his trek across the veldt (field), and was soon lost to view in the gathering gloom. Norm settled down to doze on the long back seat of the car while he waited. Norm was rudely awakened about half an hour later, by a very grimy, muddy and shaken Percy. Percy was trembling so much that he could hardly speak. Norm, of course, asked him what on earth was wrong? Did he bring help? All Percy could do was shake his head. When he had calmed down a bit, he told Norm his tale of woe!

When Percy thought he was about halfway to the farmhouse, he suddenly stepped into a meerkat (ground squirrel) hole, and measured his length on the ground. As he picked himself up, he caught the sound of horses' hooves, thundering towards him. He looked up to see a man, clad in a dark cloak, mounted on a large dark horse, galloping towards him.

Percy, at once, thought it was the farmer coming to his rescue. His joy instantly turned to icy fear as he realised that he could actually see through this dark figure. He admitted to a paralysing moment when he wet himself. He scrambled to right himself, running wildly away from the sound of the ever closer sound of the hooves.

The sound of galloping was right behind Percy, and he was terrified of what the horseman might do to him. He looked back, over his left shoulder, to see the rider, with raised hand right behind him. He felt a mighty slap, to the side of his face, and went down to flounder in an unseen stream.

Suddenly, the silence was overwhelming. As he lay cowering in the stream, he wondered what was to come next. He lay still for a few minutes, then realised that he could not hear any sound, beyond that of the crickets that were starting to chirp. As he raised his head, he saw no trace of the horse, or rider. He scrambled to his feet, got his bearings, and ran helter-skelter over the rough terrain, back to the car.

Norm was a bit skeptical about this tale, to say the least. There was no doubt, however, about Percy's nervous state, or his grimy appearance. They decided to sleep in the car, as by this time it was totally dark. (Night falls very quickly in the Karoo, as any South African will tell you.)

Next morning, to Norm's surprise, he noted a red hand-mark on the side of Percy's face. Percy looked in the rear-view mirror and ruefully confirmed this, saying that was where he had been "slapped across the chops" by the apparition.

As the pair was sitting, wondering what they should do next, Percy idly stabbed at the starter. The motor suddenly roared into life! To the great relief of the young men, they were able to continue with their arduous journey.

Norm never said how long it took them to find the right road. But he swore that the hand-print on Percy's face never faded!

Thank you for reading Norm's story. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-04)
Hi Annie,
I have just noticed your comment now. My apologies, my visits to this site have been extremely erratic of late.

What a coincidence that your mom encountered a man with a hand-print on his face, and that it came about by supernatural means. Gosh! What are the chances that it was the same man?

Thank you so much for reading my old narration, and for adding me to your favourite authors. 😁 ❀
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-29)
Hi Fergie

I know I'm very late in commenting on this story but something caught my attention. Many years ago, my mom worked in a store that sold paint in Lewis Street in Vereeniging. While working there my mom met a man with a permanent handprint on his face. As far as I remember it was clearly visible but not dark. I don't know how it came about but he told her that it was a supernatural encounter that caused the print. Exactly what the details of the encounter was, I don't know. I was very young then and mom has since passed away so I can't ask her about the details. But I wonder... Could it be? Surely there couldn't be too many people with a story like this.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-10)
JFS2, thank you for reading my old narration. Not all of my submissions have a real storyline like this one. I hope you find others to your liking. πŸ˜‰
JFS2 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-09)
Just read this, and it gave me chills.

Now I'm going to read all of your stories Fergie. Lol
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-01)
Wow Ari! You really have been through ALL of my stories. Haven't you? That is so sweet; you bring a lump to my throat!

I am humbled by your praise. 😳

The darned system won't let me vote you up any more...
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-31)
Dear Fergie,
Ah...you are being too modest! I just love the way you narrate your stories.❀

Thanks
Regards
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-31)
Dear Ari,

Thank you for the giggle that you elicited from me. I found your remark highly amusing!
You have a novel approach to life... It is very refreshing.

Thank you for deeming my account worthy of being one of your favorites, I am honoured.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-31)
Dear Fergie,
Seems that the dark rider made it a point to slap Percy, so he got their car to make a wrong turn and also to malfunction 😜

Will go into my favourites...

Thanks
Regards
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-22)
Tattoomamma, I am glad that you found humour in the situation... It does sound kind of funny eh? 😊
Poor Percy, never did see the funny side to it though! (According to Norm, that is.) πŸ€”
tattoomamma29 (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-21)
So the horse just came by and the ghost slapped him upside the head? I'm sorry but I laughed when I read that part.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-22)
Logan, thank you for reading my accounts & your kind words. 😊
Yes, I still have a few accounts to retell. One experience that I had, many years ago, scared me silly! I was working as a prison wardress at the time. I shall recount it in due course.
I am so glad that you find my experiences interesting. 😁
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-22)
Love your stories... Keep them coming Fergie. You must have so many such interesting experiences to share:)

Regards,
Logan
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-22)
Beautifuleden: Thank you so much for the lovely comment! 😊
Keep your eyes peeled, my latest narrative should be published within the next few days (hopefully). πŸ€”
I am so glad that you have enjoyed my stories, it warms my heart to know that!

Thanks again for reading.
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-22)
Love all your stories Fergie, hopefully you will post some more soon? X
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-17)
Thank you Trix, for the love & light which you sent. I am sure that it helped us through our most difficult times. We thank you also for your prayers, we really appreciate them. 😊
Thanks again for 'being with us' in our time of need.
❀Fergie
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-14)
Hi Fergie, I send you love and light and you and your family are within my prayers. Thank you for the correction. Sometimes English can be very misleading if you translate it into Afrikaans. Take care my friend. You and your family need each other now more than ever. God bless you. Trix. ❀ ❀ ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-13)
Oh Trix,...If Only you were brought up in an English family, you would know that 'one of these days', means... Some time in the future, not necessarily the near future! Thank you for your concern, it is truly touching. I thank you, as a fellow South African. Deeper than that, I cannot go.
Tomorrow will be a difficult day, we will need all your 'love and light' to get through it. Our final goodbye, at the memorial service. Our two remaining daughters will be there and our two grand-daughters.
Thanks again my friend,
Fergie ❀
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-13)
You're welcome lady... I pray that God will be with you and your family and that He will heal you from the pain that you all are going through now. I don't like your words-'I will be along, one of these days'-I will most certainly keep you in my prayers. Take care woman. Trix. ❀ ❀ ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Dankie Trix, we appreciate the message. Yes, I told Angel to wait for me on the other side, I will be along, one of these days.
I can't believe how everyone has rallied around to give us support, in our time of need!
Thank you Trix, from the bottom of my heart, for your love and support.
We will muddle on the best we can. Thank heavens we have a close-knit family.

❀ Fergie
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Hi Fergie, Javs' just left the message on facebook for me. I am so sorry my friend from the bottom of my heart. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. It's not easy what you're going through, try to be strong woman. One day we will get the answers to all our questions when we all meet again. She will always be in your hearts and part of you no matter what. I'm so sorry my friend. I send you love and light my friend, may God carry you and your family through this saddest time in your life. Take care-Trix ❀ ❀ ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Deane, I am so happy, that I could be instrumental in family ties, being bound tighter. Life is so precious; so fleeting!
Thank you for your prayers.

❀Cindy
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Bless you Cindy. This has me calling each of my girls this morning just to remind them how much I love them. A parent should never outlive a child, it's just so hard to take. My heart and prayers are with you dear, now and always.

Deane ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Deane my friend, thank you. I remember, once before, you said that you would pray for Angel. I think, I replied that all prayers would be welcome. The same still applies.
Angel was cremated today, the memorial service will be on Thursday. Our middle daughter, and her daughter are flying up for the service. The whole family have taken it badly, even though we knew it would happen at some point in time.

Thanks again my friend ❀
Cindy
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Thank you for the explanation Cindy. I didn't want to ask. I just know that it has been on the horizon, and I am sad for you. 😒

Jav ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Thank you Clever, for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated. 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Thank you for your kind words Amit.

In Sep. '08, Angel was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer. It started in her groin. She was operated, a growth was removed, but one of the 'tendrils' that anchored the growth, got into her blood-stream. That 'tendril', then lodged in her lung... It just spread from there... To her other lung. She had a special lot of Chemo sent in from USA... A trial run... It may have slowed the cancer for a while. But, after radiation, & two lots of chemo, there was nothing else that could be done.
You are keen on research Amit. Look up bifasic synovial sarcoma.

Angel passed 6th June, at 6:10am our time. She was 41 years old.

Thank you for concern my friend. 😐
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. ❀
adsouza (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Just got to know about what happened. Heartfelt sympathies Cindy.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
Thank you Jav; Lou; Spider; Miracles; Granny, It warms my heart to know I have FRIENDS out there, even if you far away. I know that you are as near as my computer!
Thank you all for your sympathies, it is greatly appreciated by Ray & I.
Yes, no more suffering for our special Angel, she is now at rest.

Thanks again guys, much love to you all. ❀
adsouza (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
I am wondering how I missed this one. Loved the narration Cindy!
❀

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: