You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: When The Time Has Come

Real Ghost Stories

When The Time Has Come

 

My grandfather died on 7 January 2000 when I was 19, my uncle died on 6 January 1979, before I was born. I guess the story really starts there.

My grandmother is a deeply superstitious woman, you know, "no new shoes on the table", "saluting magpies", "no walking under ladders", etc... But the following the Christmas of '78 for some reason, completely against her character, she decided to take the Christmas decorations down on 2 January. My mum believes it was an attempt to overcome this "obsession" with superstitions.

On the 6th January, my grandparents were visited by the police, with the news that my uncle had been involved in a car accident, which unfortunately took his life. As expected my grandparents took it extremely badly, but more so my grandmother who continued to blame herself over the years, believing it was her fault for pulling down the decorations earlier than she should.

The years went on, the family grew, and after years of bad health, my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer. '99 was to be his last Christmas with us. As the New Year came he was bed-ridden, and refused to enter the hospital as he knew his time had come and he didn't want to spend his last days in strange surroundings, and the family wanted to spend as much time as they could with him before he passed away (I had the flu so I wasn't allowed to visit - just in case)

On the night of 5th January, my grandmother went to bed, lying next to my grandfather, who for the last 3 days had been incoherent, with very little speech. On this night he sat up - like a healthy man, as my grandmother described "like a man who woke up in the morning ready for a hard day of work" She actually said she hadn't seen him appear so sprightly for a few years. My grandmother sat up in awe, and he started to speak.

"I know! I am looking forward to seeing you too. But don't expect me to leave your mother today. Let me get her through tomorrow, and then I'll come."

He sat in silence for a short while, like you would whilst listening, before he spoke again.

"I know it wasn't her fault - but there's no telling that woman... She still thinks it's her fault after all these years because of that damn Christmas trees... I have to help her through tomorrow, and then I'll come - I promise."

Listening to this conversation helped my grandmother a lot in dealing with the death of her son, and preparing for the death of my grandfather. The next day, she called us all to come round and say our goodbyes to him and as my father took us home my mother stayed with all her siblings waiting for the moment.

It was a very stormy night, and usually when someone is on their deathbed, it's a tradition in Wales, maybe in other places I don't know, to keep the window of the room open so that the spirit can slip away easily. But because of the storm, the window was shut, and at 1 am on January 7th, once he knew he'd kept his promise of staying until after the anniversary of the death of my Uncle, my grandfather slipped away. The following day my grandmother opened the hallway door to accept a parcel that required signing by the post man. At the time my mother and all her siblings were sat in the living room, chatting away.

Just to explain the layout as it does play a part in the whole story, my grandparents house is the average 50s style council house you'd find in the UK. When you open the front door you literally are looking up the stairs with the living room to the right of you. The stairs are squeaky - you hear every single creak when someone is on them, but only when someone is on them.

So my grandmother opened the door for the postman, and my mother and her siblings were in the living room, when the stairs started creaking, they all sat in silence as they heard each foot step coming down the stairs. My grandmother was at the door with the post man, telling him about my grandfather passing away, and they both heard it too, before a gentle breeze passed them by.

Maybe it was coincidence, mind playing tricks, we don't know, but I do know it helped us as a family with our grief, firstly knowing he was with my uncle, secondly that he left his house through the front door he painted himself.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ysbrydnos, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kisho (2 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-22)
Beautiful story. It reminded me of my Grandma, who passed away a couple years ago now from cancer. She'd been slipping in and out of consciousness for a few weeks, unable to talk, completely incoherent. The last time she gained consciousness, she sat up like she was full of energy, looked around at my mom and her siblings, all of whom had taken time off work to be with her, said "Oh good, you're all here. I love you all so very much. Goodbye." with perfect clarity, and then fell back asleep for the last time.
ysbrydnos (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-18)
Tonith, I agree with you. There are so many experiences of these lucid moment for them not to be significant, and if, as you said it is the way we were wired - then there is a very important reason for that wiring!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-17)
Yes, quite the beautiful story. Like in the movie "Ghost" you take the love with you. I have heard of these lucid moments with people that are dying and many tell of having conversations with people who have passed, seeing loved ones and just knowing they were going to be going to a better place. I know many in the medical field think it's just the brain's reaction to stress and if that's what it is I thank our Creator for wiring us that way. I believe there is something beyond this mortal coil and maybe the beliefs we have is what we experience after death. I'm glad your grandmother and their children got to experience something positive from the other side. I don't know how true it is but it's said that a spirit may stay earthbound for a few days until they comprehend all that is happening. I think this may be the reason many people have contact with a dead person within the first week of their demise. Also unfinished business is another reason and I think your grandfather covered all bases and was able to join his son in peace.
Blackrose1985 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-16)
Very touching, reminds me a lot of my grandpa. I didn't get to see him when he died but we all know he died in his house that he had built himself from scratch. Lovely story, brings back so many memories.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-16)
A very beautiful and touching story. It reminded me a lot of my Granparents. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Take care 😊
ysbrydnos (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-16)
Thank you all so much for your comments. My grandparents were a couple very much in love, and I know the whole experience, as difficult as it was, really helped my grandmother with dealing with it all.

I am new to this site and I came across some inspiring, well written stories, but unfortunately there does seem to be a lot of juvenile writings. Let's hope they realise by respecting the views of others and participating in a mature manner will be more fulfilling for them.
Oli (2 stories) (74 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-15)
I agree, a beautiful story. Sounds like your grandfather went peacefully, while at the same time relieving your grandmother of her guilt. Thanks for sharing this with us:).
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-15)
ysbrydnos--A beautiful story of devotion. It rings clear as a bell on a frosty night. After 20 years of self-blame,your grandmother suffered needlessly, but her son and husband came through with the goods to end it. Not only did it relieve her anxiety, but it must have given the postman a thing or two to think about! Many of us believe this world does not end the love in our hearts, and it's always good to have proof reinforcement.
emb1983 (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-15)
This was a great story. I agree with the 1st poster that many of the stories I've read lately are not believable and most likely fabricated. I don't understand why tennagers feel the need to make up stories and submit them here. Anywho, this was a good 1. Thanks for sharing it! =)
yellowbelle (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-15)
It has been long, but I do know that you still feel the loss somehow. I guess you have a very nice family.

ANyway yours was a very lovely story.
I enjoyed reading it, and I liked the way it was written.

❤ ❤ ❤
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-15)
Wow

First off I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like your grandfather was a good guy. It also sounds like your grandmother is a "feisty one".;o) I also can picture the house layout just so (I am familiar with the kind of house you're talking about).

Anyway: If you and your family believe his spirit left through that door, there is NOTHING wrong with that. Quite fitting actually. Thank you for sharing a great story (don't see too many of them on here these days)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: