You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Has This Pair Of Earrings Provoked A Haunting?

Real Ghost Stories

Has This Pair Of Earrings Provoked A Haunting?

 

It initially just seemed like a series of coincidences until I took a closer look at the timing of everything.

It started about a month ago with objects around me, that were in no danger of falling, just falling. I watched a loaf of bread fall off of a counter in my kitchen from a perfectly secure position away from the edge. The countertop is level, and the windows weren't open, so I was truly unable to locate the source of what made this thing fall. Similarly, a few days later, I placed an empty square container on my kitchen table away from the edge. I turned around for a few seconds when I suddenly heard it hit the floor. I turned back around, and sure enough it was on the floor. I checked if the windows were open, and again none were.

That weekend, I went into work for a few hours and saw a binder fall off of a table with no force that I could identify. These are just a few of these instances. It was like someone was trying to get my attention.

At work, we have a break room, and there's a piece of metal on the floor in the doorway that makes a specific noise every time you step on it. My coworker was already in the breakroom when I got there, and we were the only two in that day. I stepped on the metal, and it made the noise. As I was unpacking my bag, I heard the noise again even though no one had stepped on the metal.

I turned to my coworker, who has been there longer than me and seen a lot of strange things at our workplace.

Me: Did you hear that?

Coworker: Yeah.

Me: Has that ever happened without someone stepping on it?

Coworker: No.

Then we started our day at work, and we have four doors that lead into this particular room from other parts of the building. At three different times, these three doors opened and closed without anyone being there. They didn't open all the way but widely enough for us to see that there was no one there. The two doors that open to the outside weren't open so it couldn't have been wind, plus the doors are pretty heavy so the chances of wind blowing them open anyway are slim.

Me **after the third time**: What the hell?

Coworker: I don't know.

Me **after telling him about the things falling**: Am I going crazy?

Coworker: We might be going crazy in sync.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised if we were going crazy simultaneously because we've been through a lot together. But these are clear physical phenomena that we probably wouldn't both conjure up at the same time.

A few weeks went by, and all of these things stopped until there were new incidents. Two days in a row my family and I heard noises in my house we couldn't find the source of. The first was a whooshing noise in the next room over from where we were sitting. The second was a popping noise in another room. The problem with both of these was not only could we not find the sources, but everything in both rooms was exactly the same as before we heard the noises. We thoroughly inspected both rooms both times for a solid fifteen minutes.

Lastly, I began feeling a draft coming from my right in my bedroom. I checked the window to my right because when that window is open and I'm sitting in that particular spot where I was, I can definitely feel wind when the window is open. It wasn't open which wasn't surprising because it's winter, and I didn't remember opening the window. I don't recall ever feeling any kind of significant draft from that window before when it was closed. Obviously, some cold air is always going to come through, but this was significantly more than that.

I thought I was only experiencing this in my bedroom until I felt the same thing in my living room. This time not only were all the windows closed, but my right side wasn't even facing a window.

I then considered the timing of all of this and have developed a hypothesis of sorts. About a month ago when this all started, my mom and I had gone through her mom's belongings. Her mom died nine or ten years ago. We went through her jewelry, and my mom told me I could keep some things if I wanted, and she would take some and the rest would go to other relatives. I took this pair of earrings that my grandma wore almost every day. They're probably the thing I remember most vividly about her. I now wear them almost as often.

I'm not sure why my grandma would be following me around, but it's the best guess I have right now. Everything started right after I got the earrings, and I've never really experienced anything like this before. The draft always being on my right side in and of itself might be a sign. For whatever reason, in all of my prominent memories of my grandma, she was sitting on my right.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether I'm being followed or going crazy?

Other hauntings by Rachel9997

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rachel9997, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-01)
Hi The_Lost_Voyage_11,

Thanks for your input. You make an interesting point, and I agree that it seems like a poltergeist situation. The timing just seems strange since I had never experienced anything like this beforehand.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-01)
Hello Rachel9997, welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing! It's an interesting story and it's possible it could be a passed loved one. What occurred to me though, is the age range by your name mentions you're a teenager and you spoke in your story of having been through a lot as well. It's possible that this could be poltergeist activity as it certainly sounds like the kinds of things observed during poltergeist incidents. Even though these things had begun to occur after you obtained your grandmothers ear rings, if it was a somewhat emotional experience for you, that could be what triggered it, the icing on the cake so to speak. Anyways good story, perhaps this offers another perspective, good luck!
Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-01)
Hi MrsRamsay,

Thank you so much for your input! I actually haven't spoken to my mom about this, and my coworker was just as baffled as I was.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+1
2 years ago (2022-01-01)
I absolutely think you and your mom going through the jewelry is what prompted your visits from Grandma!

I've had things jump off the shelves in grocery stores before, and I do think that's an attention-getter! I also believe our family "visits" us. I actually have a photo taken a few Easters ago of our family get together. That morning I'd been thinking about my Grandfather and how he loved it when the fam did picnics outside, which is what we were doing. It was a strong feeling for me, for Grandpa who died way back in 1993. We took a big family photo that day, and there was a streak of light off to the left and in the light you can clearly see Grandpa's face. He was there! So don't hesitate to believe that your grandma is pleased that you picked her earrings! Things like that are very important to some women and I'm sure she's enjoying seeing you grow into a young woman to be proud of! The doors opening, but more than that... The noise the breakroom floor makes and the fact your colleague heard it too are intriguing things! What does your mom think?
Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-01)
Hi Rajine,

I haven't felt particularly unsettled or threatened at all during any of these incidents. The first time I felt the "draft" I was startled, but I think that's to be expected. Since then, I definitely have actually noticed feeling calm whenever it happens.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-01-01)
Hi Rachel9997

Maybe it is your grandmother or maybe not, I've read a lot about haunted items but personally haven't experienced it myself, I think how you feel will tell, a calm or malevolent vibe each time you experience something out of the ordinary.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: