You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Closet Door

Real Ghost Stories

Closet Door

 

I have had a few paranormal experiences (about ten) since childhood, but the story I'm about to share is the one I think about every day of my life. It happened almost thirty years ago when I was a senior in high school.

My best friend spent the night and we stayed up late talking about graduation and what college would be like. We were not telling scary stories or anything like that. My parents were asleep in their room, and my little brother was sleeping in his room. It was about 2:00 a.m. In the suburban home I grew up in on Long Island, New York.

The first thing that happened was I saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye up in the corner of the ceiling. It was moving, but had no definable shape. I mentioned it to my friend because nothing in the room was moving to cause it. There was a window with heavily lined curtains that did not allow light in, and no street outside just our yard (my room was on the second floor). Well, we ignored it and kept talking, then it caught my eye again and I said something like "that's bugging me, what's causing it". Her eyes got as wide as saucers and she said, "Never mind the shadow, look at your closet door".

My closet was a wood door. When I turned, there was a very vivid water-colour looking painting of men in what I guess was (not sure) civil war looking uniforms sitting on what appeared to be a park bench in a very pretty park. Then ripples came over the door and the picture changed into a woman with a parasol in an old southern-style dress. She had dark hair. Then ripples came and it showed a woman sitting on a rocking chair. Then it showed the woman's face up close and it aged right before our eyes, from a young woman to a very old woman. The ripples came again; my friend and I took turns telling what we saw to check ourselves. Everything she said was exactly what I was seeing and visa versa. We could fill in the details for each other.

The subsequent pictures that I remember were: a modern day woman carrying in groceries from her car, animal images of a tiger and then a wolf, a man in a brim hat looking down at an oversized watch, and last was a satanic looking face that began to breathe out a mist that had no odour and took form and went up to the corner of the ceiling (the shadow was no longer there).

At this point I looked under my bed, swung open the closet door and saw nothing. Everyone in my house was asleep, and I woke them crying and shaking. It took awhile to calm us down and after that I wouldn't sleep in my room for several years.

Nothing like this had ever happened in this house before, and my Mom still lives there and nothing!

Now, as I think back on those images (and this may be my imagination, I'm not sure) I think it showed some of my future? I've since moved to Texas. When I got pregnant with my first child, my husband bought me a rocking chair that looked like the one I saw. The lady carrying groceries had curly hair and thinking back, it reminds me of my house in the 80's and the perm in my hair.

If there is anyone out there who has had anything similar happen to them or who has any insight into the message I was suppose to receive, please, please help me out with this.

I couldn't make this up! I have not had anything happen in the last 20 years and never had anything like this before or since.

Thanks, Catrina

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Catrina, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Alejsergio12 (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-11)
Contact me. I know you might not but I know I can give you good advice. Newyorkhighschoolstudent [at] gmail.com
shadow_image (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-13)
In my opinion there was no ghost involved but I think something like a picture image of what was in your past looking into your future. I have never heard of someone experiencing something like this its very different very strange. The evil face you might want to keep your eyes out for that one because that could be anything that's what I would mostly look out for. Any demon entity is not a good thing I know from experience. Keep your kids and husband safe no matter what.
Catrina (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
Thank you so much for your response. I think you're right (that's my gut feeling). My friend being there has been the reason my memory remains strong and undoubted. I feel may-be it was a warning too, of what I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway I have been trying to sort out the question of destiny vs. Free will. I've come to feel that destiny is made up of the "things" that come up in one's life, and free will is how we respond.

I don't claim to have answers. Also, a shadow started the whole thing, which has made me interested in "shadow people". Plus one of the images on the door was a man in a brim hat looking at an oversized watch.

I would LOVE for anyone with a similar experience to write me... Or anyone with any further insights.

Thank you all!
durnster (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
well from the story and these comments below I believe it was possible for you to see the future as I have in one or two of my dreams but for your freind to see the same things as you I find that odd why would whatever caused it want her to see it unless it was to get your attention to the door. Goodluck to your mother
Catrina (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-28)
I really appreciate your responses. I really don't think it has to do with the history of the land because... Why a southern-belle on Long Land? And why that evil face?
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-27)
THanks Catrina for answering my questions! ❤ I think you experienced a vision about the history of the land...
Catrina (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-27)
No there was no painting it was a wood door. My friend was facing it and when I turned around there was a painting, in color! The colors would become all ripply and a new painting would form. They didn't move except when the woman's face grew old before our eyes or when the ripples appeared to "melt" the image so a new one would form.

Before the last image came I looked under the bed (I had to find a rationale explaination & don't ask me what I thought I'd find). I then sat back up on the bed, and when the satanic face appeared and the mist my friend and I sat there for a few seconds (it was a long time ago, can't tell you exactly). Then I remember swinging open the closet door as if something would be revealed and waking up the household.

It was a suburban neighborhood on eastern Long Island. I don't know of any unusual history to the land. My Mom still stays there and nothing has happened since.

Of all the "paintings" the man with the brim hat looking at the oversized watch has stayed with me (other than the last one which made me wonder if it was evil or something good warning me of evil in the future?).
AngelDemonGhost101 (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-27)
That sounds really weird, it makes sense about what Ghostluver was saying about the pictures showing you the history of the land. Maybe it could have been what the town looked like ages ago like the whatever was in your house was showing you a slide show. The bit where you say " The lady, carrying the groceries had curly hair and looking back, it reminds me of the my house in the 80's and the perm in my hair" that's a little creepy. Maybe it was supposed to be you and the spirit, ghost thing was trying to get a message across to you and it was doing that by showing you pictures on your closet door. Good luck on finding out what the pictures mean.
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-27)
a very interesting story, what really focused my attention was the closet, now you said that there was a water-color painting on your door that had been there but changed or did the door ever have such paintings on it? See that was something I couldn't understand and how could that painting change? 😕 now, you said that somehow through the "ripples" the painting changed in to this and that, now how could the "ripples" change it this confuses me, could you please that, in other words re-tell from the point your friend said look at the door until you and your friend ran out of the room. Thanks and another thing, the experience you had sounded like the "pictures" were showing you maybe... The history of the land? I am not sure, but anyway please comment on my comment 😁, and don't worry texas is really nice (and I should know it is nice, cause I live there)

-Peace out People ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: