You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Strange Directionless Music

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Directionless Music

 

First off, I'd like to say that while I have had a certain fascination with ghosts, ghost stories and spirits ever since I was little, I have never put much stock in them; or rather, I have not wanted to. I am by nature a very jumpy person. Reading accounts of ghost sightings, even if it interests me a lot, scares the living daylights out of me...

At first I came to YourGhostStories.com for a good read, but after reading some of the accounts here and the great feedback people have received, I felt compelled to share what little I've experienced myself and see if anyone has any input to aid me with...

First things first. I live in Sweden. My neighbourhood is a somewhat rich one (we count as middle class when it comes to taxation) and the place itself is very normal. A typical suburb, if you will.

Now, the reason I mention this is because no one, and I mean no one, that lives near me or that I know believes in ghosts. It's not even scoffed at as "untrue"; the whole concept just doesn't exist to them, even my own family.

My first experience with the phenomenon I seek advice on was about six or seven years ago... I cannot recall the exact time. I am by habit often up late at my computer, and I was much more so at this time... I guess I was around 15 or 16 at the time, so not a child.

My parents (they sleep on the second floor) had gone to bed many hours before, and my sister wasn't home. I always sit at the computer with music on, or sound, but for some reason I cannot explain, I turned it down. At first, I heard nothing, but after a moment or two, a light tune began intruding upon my ears.

It wasn't music, per se... I couldn't recognize any instruments; they were more like random notes, but still they played out in some sort of harmony.

Walking out of my room into the room just beyond, the music became a little bit louder, but it was still very, very soft, just on the edge of hearing. The music was directionless, but for whatever reason I stepped out into the next room, which is the room just inside our entrance hall. Our house is split into two parts; one is two stories, the other is just one. The room I stepped into is just one floor, and has a skybubble (a plastic half-sphere extending outwards) in the ceiling, so you can see the sky. The skybubble is just 1x1 meters, so not very large. For some reason, the music was at its loudest when I stood in this room; I can't say for sure whether it was under the "bubble". The music seemed to come from nowhere and every direction at once; like I was standing in the middle of it.

I assumed I was just fooling myself, so I walked into the entrance hall and opened the door and stepped outside, thinking maybe it was the neighbours playing some weird music (which would be odd, because my closest neighbours are all 60+ and go to sleep early).

As soon as I stepped outside, the music stopped. I waited outside for a minute or so but heard nothing...

I walked back inside, and when I stepped back under the skybubble, the music slowly came back, but much softer, for maybe half a minute before fading completely.

This has happened maybe three more times since then, over the span of the years; the last time was about six months ago. Once, my parents were awake, and I went up to them and asked them if they heard anything. They said no; I even dragged my father downstairs, but when we got down, neither of us heard anything... I might add he was mighty angry with me for dragging him out of bed.

The musical experience has been slightly different every time, but always strongest at this point, and always very soft. I have never been able to recognize any real instrument; the notes are soft but clear, just strong enough that you have to strain to hear them. They are beautiful but very alien in their composition.

I would like to add I had not been reading/doing anything related to ghost stories at any of the times I heard the music. Once I was playing games, another chatting with friends. There has been no pattern for me to discern.

I'm sorry for my very long account; I didn't realize how much I wanted to ask someone about them. Is there any reflection anyone could provide? Is it just coincidence? Am I just imagining these things? Or might there be something else to it?

I don't know if it matters, but it just occurred to me to mention that on the wall below the skybubble there is a huge wall-mounted mirror, about 2 ½ metres high and 1 ½ metres wide, mounted in segments (6 mirrors forming one large). Does that matter? I've never seen anything remotely strange in it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ai1265, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-13)
Try to get a small sound recorder, that you can mount on a stick to see if you can pick up any sound at varying levels underneath the dome.

And have it handy for when the sounds come back.
ai1265 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-14)
[at] Dalton

While I myself try to rationalize things and explain them with logic and science before jumping onto the paranormal train, this was nothing electrical. As my father works a bit with wiring in our home, I know somewhat well what it sounds like.

I just can't explain it properly; as I said, I have never heard any notes or music like this before or after the times this happened. It was completely alien in its sound and composition (and I mean very different, not extraterrestrial).
dalton1976 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-11)
I agree with Composerman. If you hear this only 4 time since 7 years, maybe it's because your listen to music " I always sit at the computer with music on, or sound". I there some lights with dimmers, it happens that sound from electrical frequecies come from that kind of control.
KatieChan (3 stories) (63 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-10)
The music you seem to describe seems to be the music out of a music box. Maybe a young ghost died there while playing a music box. Good luck! ❤ Katie
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-10)
I would look if a house was there before yours was built, I think it could just be a loop in time, the conception is that only bad things come with these things, but if it's good, and you like it or it sounds nice the station just got stuck in time, think of film that just plays its self time and again
ai1265 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-09)
[at] Composerman
The thing is, it's occured four times total over the past seven years. I cannot even remember what time of year it was, if it was always the same or not. I don't have a general feeling that it was very hot out though, so it was probably not summer in eitehr case (because I hate summer here... I would know).

[at] JamesRobiscoe
Recording it would be hard, as it's been more than a year since I last heard it, and the few times it did happen it only played for a few, maybe ten minutes tops, before fading out.
I am somewhat interested in phenomenon such as this, but apart from having occurred so seldom, the music is extremely faint and seems to come from all directions (or rather, no direction at all; it's just -heard-). I wouldn't even know where to begin!
If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the feedback so far! And a huge thanks to Surya for all the help with the story!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-09)
ai1265--I'm with Composerman on this. His acoustics explanation is an advantage to you. Did the music occur at approximately the same time in all instances?
As I was reading your story, I thought, "This guy or gal is blessed." Because it's my immediate sense that it isn't a tinnatus phenomena but that some earlier culture once living in that area is visiting you. It could be old Sedish folk music. Do you have a respect for music or history?
If you are customarily the only one awake at night, you might want to borrow or rent a digital recorder to have nearby in case you hear it again. Depends, of course, on how interested you are in your personal experiences. You can simply acknowledge it and move on.
freaky_ghost_girl (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-09)
very scary!don't get freak out. You do not distub "them" they will not go too far 😉
Composerman (33 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-09)
Thank you for posting your account, I have heard many examples of music being heard, just on the edge of hearing, that sounds almost angelic to the listener.

On a slightly scientific note, I know that accoustically, a dome shape (in this case the sky bubble) can focus sound waves a bit like a satellite dish works with EM waves, so perhaps this could explain why the music would appear loudest at this point.

Thanks again, and please keep us updated if you hear this again. Have you tried to record the music, or is it too quiet even for that?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: