You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Strange Experience In Our New Home

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Experience In Our New Home

 

Let me preface this story by saying that although I'm a great lover of ghost stories, including true ones such as those found on this site, I am normally reluctant to immediately leap to the conclusion that ghosts or demons are responsible for unexplained phenomena... But in this case, I'm simply stumped and would welcome any explanations you dear readers can offer!

In the early summer of 2005, my husband Pete and I (and our dog) purchased and moved into our first house. We had been there about two months, just long enough to get comfortable and know the creaks and noises particular to this structure, when I experienced this strange incident.

At the time, Pete telecommuted from home; he always worked nights, although what nights he worked varied from week to week. I could never keep up with his schedule, and I didn't really bother... He was at home, after all.

So this one particular evening, the dog and I said goodnight to Pete and went off to bed early, closing the door behind us out of habit, because Pete's office was just across the hall and he could sometimes get noisy as he worked. I fell asleep as usual, and then was awoken a few hours later by the dog, who was at the foot of my bed, keening and whining in a way that I had never heard before. It was unnerving, actually. As was the way she cowered; there was just enough ambient light in the room to see her cringing as she wailed and stared at the closed door. "What the hell?" I thought.

As I watched the dog, puzzled by her behaviour, I became aware of footsteps moving down the hallway, from Pete's office to the bathroom, past our bedroom door. "What's her problem?" I thought, "its just Pete walking to the bathroom... He is working tonight, right?" Curious, I reached across the bedclothes, and sure enough, I found Pete sound asleep in bed with me, clearly not working tonight! "Whoa!" Suddenly, the walking sounds stopped. The dog quit whining and jumped up, tail wagging and acting as though nothing out of the ordinary had occurred.

OK...who the hell was out walking in the hall? If it were an intruder, the dog would be tearing the door down to get at him/her. She wouldn't react at all if it were just house creaks, why would she? Anyway, I was awake and aware and it sounded like somebody walking, not random creaks. And why was the dog puling in a puddle on the floor? I wouldn't go so far as to say the dog is aggressive, but she's no wimp, either. I have never before or since this incident seen her so...so...like a combination of scared and subdued, as if she had met something that she not only feared but respected... Sorry to anthropomorphize the dog's behaviour, but I don't know how else to explain it!

Incidentally, I did not feel at all alarmed throughout the incident, as I would expect to feel if something ghostly were about. In fact, thanks to the dog waking me up, I had to visit the bathroom myself and was able to get up and go without fear (well, maybe just a little ha-ha).

Anyway, if anyone can offer some explanations or ideas about what this was, I'd be grateful!

Other hauntings by galleygal

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, galleygal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
galleygal--Any progress or advancing conversation amongst your family, friends, and neighbors? Do you think it's easier to create an illusion that others besides you experience OR to experience what is already there and quite independent of you?
Duke has always been in the forefront of study on ESP and other advanced abilities, as you know, but North Carolina is pretty far to take day classes, eh? One can study on one's own (though experienced guides can further the study so much more quickly), and yet I bet half those researchers would trade places with you.
The so-called string theory asserts the 4th dimension, manifest in the study of "black holes" and "white holes" and "worm holes." I cannot expound on the science but have seen PBS programs satisfyingly explaining the theories and science already done.
There are so many ways of knowing and gliding through this universe in (and out of) these bodies of ours, and through the illusions we accept as solid reality, that the customary dichotomies soon fall into disuse.
I find interesting the amount of people coming forward to tell their (often valid) otherworldly encounters. Could the metaphorical veil be getting thinner? More easily stretched and breeched? Speculations abound.
~ James
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
It's really sad. I'm not sure my theory is right but it does kind of make sense.
Who knows you might get lucky and the elderly man will pay a visit.

God Bless.
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Oh James, I forgot to say before... When I mentioned being primed, I meant to convey that I may have been psychologically ripe to create experiences that weren't real at all:) That is absolutely possible, and I don't want to discount any possibility here...

It's all so curious! I think Duke has or had a paranormal psychology Master program...wouldn't it be fun to undertake rigorous, formal study of this subject, learn the physics and about the other dimensions you reference and all that?:)
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Hi Tigerlily! I just re-read your comments and I agree with James: your idea of the spirit feeling threatened and made to move out, just as she had when living, makes sense... How sad! Well, it's been quiet here for a long while, I hope that's not due to my inadvertently forcing any spirits out!
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-15)
Hi James! No need to apologize for complimenting my vocabulary; that's very nice of you:) Your prose style is also quite mellifluous (ha ha now I'm showing off)...were you educated in the States and disappointed? It's a shame that people here must take it upon themselves to better their language skills, and a shame that so few choose to do so!

What are the other dimensions? I know there is a consensus that there are parallel universes... I wonder if that could be an explanation for some of the phenomena described on this site...
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-14)
galleygal--It would be a nice little irony if your sceptic husband actually did "prime", as you say, your alertness to what's beyond the veil. It's only 4th or 5th dimension, and science already knows they exist. If you savored your childhood eperience (many of us have them but blow 'em off and don't remember; one who is sensitive more likely do). Nevertheless, what's wrong with being primed? Many things need priming, right? Doesn't make the act or what follows invalid.

Your friend may sense a male presence, which may be so or may be a misreading of a feisty and aggressive female, which psychic people allow is someimes confused. TigerLily poses an interesting thought that maybe the spirit thinks you're going to toss her out, too. That, of course, is entirely up to you, not her/him/it.

Your vocabulary caused me to think you had an education in language greater than what American schools impart. "Keening," the Shakespearean "puling", and behaviour with a "u" are more typically British or Canadian. I apologize for my false assumption.

I've no doubt that now your attention has been gained, you and Pete and ol' bowzer have not seen and heard the end of it. Please keep us updated as it happens. Your style is pleasant to read.
~ James
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-14)
Hahah, that is slightly odd.
I'm glad he's happy you're there though. Don't forget to inform us of any experiences with this elderly man. That could be interesting.

God Bless.
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-14)
James, I did have a strange incident occur when I was a kid (well, a teenager) in my parents' house...I'll write it up and send it in for consideration!
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-08-14)
First, I want to thank everyone for all your comments and insight... I forgot to do that last time I commented: (

Hi Tigerlily! No worries about spooking me, this all happened about 3 years ago now...here's a weird thing - a friend of mine recently told me that she feels a "presence" in my house, and that it is an older man who is happy that we are here! Go figure lol!

Hi James! Yes, the previous resident was apparently "crazy" and wouldn't let her own children in the home under any circumstances. They finally were able to remove her, but I am sure that there were hard feelings... I know how I'd feel if that happened to me, crazy or not:)

My husband DID immediately tell me of his strange experiences while in the house alone (incidently, he is a healthy skeptic and told me about his experiences as a curiosity) and I can't help but wonder if that sort of "primed" me to "experience" something, too... The stress of moving across the country into a new home is bad enough, add some unexplained phenomena on husband's part and the situation is ripe for all sorts of interpretations:D

However, I sure didn't imagine the dog's behavior, and I'm positive I was awake, so who knows how to explain what I/we heard?

I can't really speak to whether or not the ghost is friendly or not, at least not based on my feelings or reactions...I'm not 100% certain there is a ghost at all, outside of my own head, anyway lol!

Oh, I was born, raised, and educated here in the good ol' US of A:) I'm curious to know why you think I was educated in England if you get a chance:D

Hi Cmont! Yah, I have 2 dogs now and both of them go nuts whenever someone even walks by the house, but the way she was acting and sounding during this incident was so unusual... Couple that with the "footsteps" and I can't help but feel that something out of the ordinary was occurring... Very strange!

Hi Bozoe6! If you feel that the "ghost" is just lurking, is there a compelling reason to get the house blessed or cleansed? I'm curious to know your thoughts on the subject...
cmontgomeryx (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-13)
Aw, don't worry about it, my dog does that all the time too, barking at the frount door at about 11 oclock at night, although it can be pretty scary can't it?
I have experienced what you have, she barks at tuns of things, even my bathroom door, so maybe there is something in my house too lol 😨. My dog barks at the woman across the road to my nana haha lol.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-13)
Maybe the old lady feels threatened by you. Seeing as she was removed from the house and put into a home, she may feel you will do something simular.
She must be trying to remove you from the house, judging by your husbands dream and the moving objects.
I'm sure she isn't as bad as I mentioned before... Sorry. I just feel she isn't too happy about you being there.

God Bless.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-12)
galleygal--It would be pleasant to immediately dismiss the ghost as friendly, since you were able to rise and leave the room without fear. But your dog already knew whatever was there had gone.
An old woman being forcibly removed from her home? Uh-oh. And your husband's experiences, which he apparently didn't tell you of until after this night? Plus the other "little" phenomena? Hmmm. No, I don't think these are all imagined.
There are a number of small but established paranormal investigative teams scattered around New York, upstate and downstate. Or maybe, in your neighborhood, there are people like you who are sensitive and/or have had similar experiences.
You appear to have been educated in England, the most haunted island in the world. Did you have any curious events happen when you were young? Good fortune in sorting this out. ~ James
bozoe6 (7 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-12)
I agree with ghostluver as well. You should check out the history of the house. Animals are very smart and have that sixth sense when it comes to paranormal, it's a proven fact. The "ghost" that is lurking around obviously isn't a malicious "ghost", just playing a few tricks and lurking about. I would definitely get your house blessed.
Good luck to you and keep us posted.
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-12)
We also experienced some other weird stuff in the house, but we figured those things could be explained outside of ghosts. For example, I have "heard" my husband call to me, but when I asked him about it, he said he didn't call... Could be a doppleganger, but most likely just confusion on my part or his!:)
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-12)
Well, I guess based on comments so far, everyone agrees that a ghost was here!

When my husband came to finalize the home purchase (I stayed home), he experienced some strange things in the house during the final walkthrough: stuff moved, cabinets that were closed were now open, drapes that were drawn were now open, etc. He also had a nightmare that featured a creepy old lady freaking him out.

We didn't research the land, but my new neighbor told us that an old lady lived in the house before us. She didn't die here, but was removed from the house by her children because she was unstable and needed to be in a home. She died shortly after being removed. Maybe that's the old lady my husband dreamed about?
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-11)
Could be something residual due to the land or house but that would take research. I'm always leary of things we experience while in repose because we may think we are fully awake when we are not. If you were fully awake and didn't get a bad vibe then I would say you don't have much to worry about. If it's something malicious it wouldn't take you long to figure that out. Talk to it like you would any other person if it becomes annoying. Could be a one and done episode as well. Time will tell.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-11)
I agree with Ghostluver. I think maybe you should look up the history of the land of even the house.
Judging by your dog's behaviour this is no friendly guest either.
I would suggest having the house blessed or asking your husband if he ever heard anything.
God bless.
Phoenix77 (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-11)
You could either leave it be (maybe not a good thing here) or you can bless your house. A common practice by many people who enter a new house. If your not christian, then try to find the equivalent in your religion. I sealed my home within the first three weeks of moving in and haven't had a problem since. Good luck and Blessed Be
Ghostluver (4 stories) (123 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-11)
wow. If I was there I would have acted the same way as the dog 😆 anyway, this is not good! If I were you I would look up the history of the land, and maybe if you really want bless the house? But the 1st thing I would do is look up the history of the land, who knows maybe you will find something. Maybe the spirit of someone who lived in the house or on the land long ago is still hanging around? I don't really know. Check it out, see if you get an answer, but that's all the advice I can give you, sorry about that. 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: