You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: My Son May Be Seeing Spirits

Real Ghost Stories

My Son May Be Seeing Spirits

 

I'm not sure this is a story so much as it is asking as to what others think might be going on.

The house we live in was bought by my husband about 4 years before we met and married. Upon moving in, he said he had odd things happening, like the radio or lights coming on during the night. He got really ticked and announced (using explicative's, I might add) that this was his house, and that anybody else there needed to leave. He's had no problems since, and I haven't experienced anything either.

We're in the process of moving, so our 3 year old son and I spend most of our time at my parents' house since we'll be moving to that city. Last week we had to come back down to the house because my Mother-in-Law passed away after battling cancer.

When we got there, my son didn't even want to go into the house. We played outside for over an hour. Once we got in, he kept himself in his room, and the only other room he would voluntarily go into was ours. Any time we have him go into another room he looks all over and wants us to stay with him. My parents came down to stay with us and help out and at one point my son and mother were in the living room and he asked her if she was scared. She said no and asked if he was. He said yes and then wanted to know where I was.

Because of my mother-in-law's passing, my husband's siblings and their children were staying at his mother's house for the funeral. We went there one night and my son had a fit when we pulled into the driveway. I told him it would be okay and held him as we walked into the house. He got very upset and struggled to get out of my arms and out of the house. I got out his stroller and we walked around the block for awhile. We eventually went back in, but he was still a bit upset though not as much as he was earlier. We rounded up some toys and he was okay. Even though I know it's not necessarily funny, I still chuckled when I asked him if he was ready to go and he said, "okay!" without hesitation and quickly gathered the toys he brought. I should mention too that she was living there prior to her surgery in April, and a few months before that he was not very happy visiting there even back then.

I usually end up staying with him during the night, so he hasn't had any problems. He's been okay taking his naps though there have been a couple of times this past week that he's woken up upset.

Yesterday I figured that if there was a spirit (Possibly my MIL) visiting us, I had better ask them to leave. So while I was in the laundry room I said, "If there is anybody visiting us, I need to politely ask you to leave. Even though you may not mean to, you are scaring my son. I don't want to be rude, but I want you to please leave without incident."

Right now my son is still clingy, but he seems to be a bit more comfortable. One thing I noticed yesterday was that when I carried him into the kitchen, he was staring fearfully into one of the corners. My Mom said that whenever he ventured out of his room while they were here he would look around each room very intensely.

Another thing I should mention is that just prior to my mother-in-law's passing we were all at my parents' house. The night before my husband got the call to come home, a few odd things were happening at my parents' house. We'd hear banging or what sounded like things dropping. My husband figured it was his already deceased father telling him that something was about to happen. I believe that to be the case, but we were up there to watch their dogs, and none of them reacted to this. I would have thought they would have growled or something. We had our beagle at our house during most of this, and she doesn't seem to be affected by it either.

The last time my son and I were at the house was about 3 weeks ago. My husband was gone (he works every other week, and is gone for the entire week), and I was painting primer on some of the interior walls. He had no fears during that time.

Does anybody else think that there's a spirit in our house? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, khaunani, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-07)
Aloha Haunani,

I hope things are going well for your family and things are becoming clear to you all! Anyway, thanks for replying! My daughters name is Haunani as well and it is very heart warming to see more people with Hawaiian descent speaking out. Happy holidays! Mele Kalikimaka a me hau'oli makahiki hou!

Aloha,
4d ❤
khaunani (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-23)
I don't have time to post what I want at this time. I just wanted to thank you all for the posts.

4d, my Mother is from Hawaii. She's Hawaiian/Korean. Haunani is my middle name.

I don't know much about my husband's side regarding seeing spirits, but there have been people on my mother's side, including my Mother, that have had experiences with the spirit world.

I will try and write more later.

Take care,
Khaunani
Sebastian (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-23)
your son just may be seeing things... Being that young, he is suseptible to many things, and acknowledgement of the supernatural is one of those things (such as the the instance of your sons behavior prior to your mother in laws surgery, the posibility of psychic ability may lay dormant in him; much like the ability his father may posess). As a young child, I experienced many things, and do not doubt the fact that your child may be seeing things that you cannot.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
khaunani,
Maybe your son has what your husband has. You say that your husband experiences these things, maybe your boy doesn't know what to make of it. Has your husband ever been told stories by his family of doing similar things when he was a child? Maybe the spirits are attracted to your family, not the homes. I know this is off topic, but are you from the islands? I really like your name, Aloha - 4d 😁
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
your last story sounds interesting... And sways a lot more to suggest it could be a ghost/spirit that your son is so frightened of. I hope all is well once you've moved and he isn't scared any more.
Hanbobs x
khaunani (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
That could be a possibility. I do have to say though that we travel back and forth pretty often, and we have fun things at both places that are unique to that particular house. Still, he's a 3 YO and things change from day-to-day (if not hour-to-hour;-)).

I did have an odd incident yesterday. Our son was taking a nap in his room. We keep the door closed during that time because of the daytime noise. I was in another room on the computer when I heard what I thought was his door opening. I figured it was him coming out after waking up. When I got up, I looked down at his room and the door was shut. Our doorbell chimes are right there and I saw the chimes themselves swaying back and forth. We don't have any air flow around there that would cause that to happen.

When I told my husband this, he commented that a day or so before his mother passed away that he found the cover to the doorbell chimes on the floor just below it.

Thank you for your reply.

Take care,
Khaunani
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-22)
hey ~ it is possible that maybe something is in your house but it could also be that your son assosiates the house as not a nice place, because after all why else would mummy and daddy be moving out of it? So maybe for the simple fact you are moving and he is staying at his Grandma's he thinks the house is a bad place to be? Just a suggestion.:) x

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: