You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Sleeping With The Haunted

Real Ghost Stories

Sleeping With The Haunted

 

I have always been afraid of the dark. When I was a little girl, one of my parents would sit in my room until I fell asleep, just so that I could feel safe. Although I am an adult now, I still struggle with the same fear of the dark. I place night-lights throughout my house, and I purposely try not to look around if I wake up in the night. I suppose this fear is one of the reasons I have been so concerned recently...

A few years ago, my boyfriend called me and told me he had woken in his room to the sound of something in the corner. After his eyes focused, he realized it was a person, kneeling. Thinking it had to be one of his room-mates, he sat up and asked the person what they were doing. He said the shape stood up, looked at him, and disappeared. Knowing I have always been interested in the paranormal, he thought I would find this story interesting at the least. After talking to his sister, who used to live in the same room when she was in college, my boyfriend found out that she often felt uneasy, experienced multiple night-terrors, and even felt as if she'd been pushed in that room before.

As I've stayed over at his house a number of times, I quickly discounted my boyfriend's experience as a waking dream. I've never experienced anything strange in the house or in the room, and given my fear of the dark, I would have a hard time sleeping in that room if I told myself anything else. Perhaps I would have been able to continue telling myself that there is nothing to fear had my boyfriend not experienced something in MY room very recently.

One evening, my boyfriend was over at the house especially late and decided to sleep over. I woke up sometime in the night to him shining his cell phone light at the wall and ceiling. Groggy, I asked him what he was doing. He said he had woken up to hear someone trying to turn on the bedside lamp. When he turned over, he thought it was me because he could see the outline of a figure. Realizing that I was asleep beside him, he quickly grabbed his cell phone to shine a light on the figure. Of course it disappeared or there was no one there when he did so. However, he swears he saw the figure, and he swears he even saw a face that night in my room.

I have continued to tell myself that his experiences are really dreams, but I could tell how scared he was that night, and this incident has made me that much more frightened of being alone in the dark. Is there something in my house/room, is my boyfriend imagining things, or am I sleeping with someone who is haunted?

Other hauntings by Pete16

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Pete16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
You are very welcome and I'm glad to hear that things are better! Take care and Blessed Be! ❤
Phoenix77 (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
Oh how wonderful! I'm so glad to hear it. Like my mom says "You never know until you try." Brightest blessings. 😁
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-30)
Thank you everyone for your responses, your interest and your support!

Phoenix77: thank you for your re-assurance. Even though I personally have not experienced anything in my house, I went to go to sleep the other day and followed your advice, politely asking that if anyone were present, to please respect my space and to allow me to sleep soundly. I DID sleep soundly that night. Perhaps this is a sign that if there is someone present in my house, he/she is respectful, or perhaps this is a sign that I'm just letting my fear get ahold of me and the best thing to do is to give myself peace of mind. Regardless, I thank you for your suggestion.

Paranormalpest: Thank you for your passion. I think your advice will be best taken from my boyfriend. I will be sure to tell him that if he DOES see something again, whether it be in my house or his, that he be firm and confident, and that he not show it fear. As I have not been having the experiences--he has, perhaps he is sensitive, and perhaps this is something HE will have to develop the confidence to face.

Mrsmla4ever: It is very comforting to know that I'm not the only adult with fear of the dark. Just like Pheonix77's suggestion, I agree with you about communication. Whether there IS something there or not, it does seem to make me feel better talking to and asking someone to respect my home. Perhaps if there is a spirit in the house, he/she understands my fear, and does not wish to scare me--that may be the reason I have had no experiences. Thank you for your comfort, and for your response.
mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-30)
Paranormalpest: I have to disagree with you about not letting them see your fear. While some spirits may play on your fear, most are completely harmless. I have several ghosts in my home and I am always sure to let them know if they have scared me or my son. Once I let them know, they stop. Communicating with them is a great way to let them know your likes and dislikes. It is a great way to co-exist with them.

Pete16: I, just like you, have always been afraid of the dark. Everytime I turn out my light I immediately cover as much of my face with my blankets as I can. And getting up at night is very difficult for me. Unfortunately, it is something that we have to tough out because there is no cure for it.

The spirit in your room sounds like it is harmless. Just let it know when it does something that you don't like. My fiance and I are constantly talking to our ghosts and so far, they have been very quiet.
paranormalpest (4 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-29)
phoenix77.
When I hear someone tell me or their story, I have said in the past, "I will never tell people they saw things" Why do I say this, because when it happens to you and they say your nuts, you have to draw the line.
I was the same as you when I was a child, my mother would have to rock me to sleep, I knew there were spirits around, and not good ones.
Now that I'm an adult, I don't sleep with the lights on, but when my wife is out of town, it's very hard to fall asleep.
This is what I'm getting at, and I have a hard time getting to the point. It won't matter if the lights are on or off, they will come. They will slam doors in your face, they will turn off those lights you have on, etc, etc. Words can not discribe the power some of these beings have, and it amazes me. Just last night I heard my name called out, and this has been going on more frequently than in years gone by. Was it in my head, "NO".
He's not dreaming and they are real. Just don't let them know your fear, or you will be in for a world of hurt.
Phoenix77 (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-29)
I feel for you. I use to be afraid of the dark also and I can understand to a point. If he did see something in your room (it was trying to turn on a light) it sounds a bit harmless. The one in his room, that is a bit different. Not all dark figures are harmful, but all ghosts are dark figures. Until you have reason to worry about your room try to put it out of your mind, or talk to it and say how it scared your boyfriend and to please not do that again. Other energies (entities) are as vast as people. Some are so good it shines from their person, some are so bad it scares others to be near them and then there is the spectrum in between. You need to comfort yourself first and find security in yourself. You are a capible, smart person and you don't need to be protected by someone else. You can it. If this means taking a defense course, meditating or talking until your lips fall off; do it. I seem to be feeling more the need to reassure you then answer your question and I am sorry for that. But I do believe in answering these the way it feels to me. House blessings are a common practice (you might want to try that). Or burn sage and sweet grass (that will purify and seal the place) getting holy objects works also (crosses, bibles, etc) according to your faith path. I do hope I have helped somehow and Blessed Be 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: