You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Woke Up To A Ghost Of A Soldier Sleeping Next To Me

Real Ghost Stories

Woke Up To A Ghost Of A Soldier Sleeping Next To Me

 

I was living in Okinawa, and already aware of it's rich history, and hauntings. I lived off base in the top level of a two story house near the ocean. There are a few little things that occurred, and I still don't know what to make of them, but what I'm about to tell you is still a mystery to me. I can't shake the experience I had, and not even sure if what I experienced, actually happened.

One night I woke up for no reason at all to a white man dressed in military garb lying right in between my husband and me. I'm not sure if he was wearing a U.S. WWII, or a Vietnam era military uniform. I think it was WWII.

When I awoke, I looked right at him, like I was simply supposed to. He was lying comfortably snug between us, with his feet crossed, and hands drapped across his stomach in a very relaxed manner. He was half sitting up, and slumped back against the headboard.

Visually he was whitish-grayish in color, and wasn't transparent. The most odd thing was he was looking down at me with these dark eyes, and I could see the whites of his eyes. His eyes were beautiful, and he looked to be somewhat handsome. As he stared at me, and I stared at him, he looked kind of scared. It's like he was resting, and I woke him up, and he didn't know what to think. He stared at me for the longest time. He never blinked his eyes, just kept staring at my eyes.

I stayed in the same position when I woke up to raise my head and look at him, and I blinked my eyes over and over. Everytime I opened them I saw his eyes still staring at me. I was telling myself I was dreaming, and this vision will go away any minute now. After about a minute long of this, this vision I was seeing slowly disappeared, and the headboard became more visible. I then told myself that I was just seeing this cause I was still dreaming with my eyes open, and fell back asleep.

This happened again to me about a month later. Only this time it was a black man wearing U.S. Military Vietnam era uniform. He was lying completely down with his head on a pillow, and his eyes were closed.

I don't understand what I saw, and not sure if I actually woke up to these men, or was dreaming with my eyes open. Nothing like this has ever happened before. I wish someone could tell me they experienced the same thing while living in Okinawa.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Saracaveret, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
5 years ago (2019-08-14)
What an amazing story. My husband lived for years on Okinawa, he was a U.S. Marine. This reminds me of a side trip he took to Iwo Jima with a group of his fellow Marines. They were on the main beach where the U.S. Landing had occurred in WWII and apparently it had been quite rainy there, when the sun finally came out and he said everyone was incredibly reverent, thinking of the many thousands who lost their lives in that very spot. They were in the process of pulling out the flags they had brought with them to fly on the beach when one of the corpsmen (docs) reached down and plucked a U.S. Dime out of the sand near the water's edge. The date on it was 1945... The same year that the battle took place. My husband said all the men in the group were in awe and had chill bumps at this. Was it purely a coincidence? We don't think it was!
roylynx (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-27)
There are lots of lost souls in Okinawa! And I totally believe that what you saw might have been a US solder from WWII.

Did you recognize the spirit as a person or did you think that it was something else?

E.Lynx
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-25)
In terms of seeing in the dark - I have never been to Okinawa but I assume its a decent sized city. The city I live in is big but not huge and even still, there is a decent amount of light pollution that filters through our windows at night. I can see quite well once my eyes have adjusted and I definitely do not have unusually adept night vision.

Often too folks describe spirits as possessing of a mild glow all there own. Perhaps that too aided the OP in picking out details in the dark.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+5
6 years ago (2018-03-24)
Sara,

I am not sure what or who you saw, if it was a dream or not.
What I am curious about is how you could see anything at all.

It was night, did you have your lights on, as you and your husband slept?
You saw face and clothing details, in fact you felt the first one was somewhat handsome and had beautiful eyes.

I could have a couple of good looking men lay between my husband and myself, but never see them. One night light by the door and blackout curtains, our bedroom is deeply dark.

Thinking of these details, can you elaborate?

Thanks,
Jan
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-24)
Perhaps Soldier-1 told Soldier-2 "Hey man, go to that house and you'll see a beautiful woman"? 😜

That's intriguing, it's obvious that, whoever they were those gentlemen, they didn't mean any harm to you.
Do you know anything about the history of the house? It's possible that the land had some military importance during the wars.

Thanks for sharing.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-03-23)
This is very interesting. It may be something called Hypnagogia. When this occurs you are in an in between state of light sleep and awake; it's like a hallucination. I've experienced it. Your surroundings look the same but there is something "extra" (people, spiders, bugs, etc).

That's just a theory though. It's hard to decipher between the hallucination and being consciously awake. Your encounter does sound quite realistic. Maybe someone else has had a similar experience. I'm interested to find out. Thank you for sharing 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: