You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Being Held Down by a Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Being Held Down by a Ghost

 

The other night, It started in my dream and it wasn't an unpleasant dream either, but then I felt something was interfering in my dream, whatever it was, it wouldn't allow me to move, it felt as if gravity around my body was 10 times the regular force that it normally is. After awakening from this dream, I laid there for few seconds wondering if what I had just felt was actually an evil presence holding me down while I slept, or if it was in fact just a dream. Just after pondering the experience, I began to feel an unexplainable sensation through out my body, and then as I was awake, I could not move, some sort of force was taking place around my body, I felt paralyzed only because I couldn't move, but I still had control of my muscles, every muscle in my body was flexed to try and either get up or get out of bed but I couldn't. I was also trying my hardest to scream but all that would come out was a faint whisper. After a few more minutes of fighting my hardest against this force it finally stopped.

I don't know if it was an attempted for demon to try and posses me or what. I usually don't believe this stuff but that was freaky. After this experience, I got online around 3 a.m. in the morning to try and find some sort of explanation, after reading other information, people are saying it's simple, you awoke in REM state, which is when you wake up while your brain is not sending signals to the rest your body, leaving your body paralyzed but apparently you can still see and think in this state you just have no control of your body.

This was not my case, after the dream that seemed to have some sort of interference, I had fully awaken and was aware that I was awake because I had turned over to get more comfortable, with that being said I feel there was no way possible I was still in rem state, because I was able to MOVE, see, and think clearly moments before I began to have unexplainable sensation through out my body followed by being held down.

If someone can explain it other then being in rem state, please explain or help me understand Craigster586 [at] hotmail.com

The only advice I can give people who have had this situation is if you can, stay calm, but stay in control of your self. DON'T lay and try to be amazed like some people are also posting, this is nothing to be amazed about.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

EmilyC2013 (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-10-08)
i had the same experience before, and it was very terrifying. In my experience I was lying flat on my back in bed when I woke up. My covers were off because it was a hot night. I remember feeling panicked as soon as I woke up, and trying to move, and not being able to at all. It felt like a heavy weight pressing down all over my body, just sitting on top of me, firmly holding me in place. I couldn't even squirm or struggle. It also felt like it was even compressing my chest because it was difficult to breathe. Looking all over my room, I could not see anyone there. Even more bizarre was the fact that my roommate felt the exact same experience that I did on the same night. We each had thought it was a strange dream until we talked about it. Now I have no idea what it was, but it was a horrific experience. I have since moved out of that house because my roommate has bought a house. I am living with friends now, and have not had the same experience again.
Eclipse2000 (1 stories) (68 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-19)
Wow! This has happened to me twice... I would be lying asleep, but wake up halfway. I see this tall man who looked about his late twenties he was handsome and looked like he was from the Mob. He walks in and cuddles with me and I don't know who he is and of course I can't move. My second time this man that I just described gave me roses and a ring (he asked to marry me!). It is like I predicted my past life or future or something but I do not know why... I don't really want to go in to detail but he looked like the man of any womans dream... I don't know what it means at all can someone tell me?! 😲
Blackraven (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-09)
I have read about this and never experienced this until recently. I have experienced the Incubis at many levels. I have had 8 holding me down at once as one will then take me sexually. I am a christian and no amount of prayer can save you, trust me. I asked around and people have said that salt around ones bed will protect you. I haven't needed to use this only once when my son came to visit and he felt that he was being made to do something he would have normally did when he wasn't in that house. Once we used salt in his room he was ok. Last night I fell asleep and as I was sleeping I felt an incredible amount of power holding me down. I couldn't move my entire body and I am a large woman. I couldn't do anything, I tried to call out the 1st time it happened but nothing came out. I also didn't hear any noises. I only hear one sound if any later when I was trying to call out and that was a vibrating noise, like the one you hear from a cell phone when it's on Vibrate. When I awoke quickly as I heard it. I still felt something holding me and with my legs spread open. I still couldn't move and my mouth had wetness all over it. As if something was in my mouth but I never felt it. Maybe that is why I couldn't speak. As I layed there I felt somethings on me but they never sexually touched me. I felt them release me and then I arose and went to the bathroom. On my face you could see the imprint of a hand on my cheek with finger marks. I also had cuts on my neck but later they would disappear. Strange! I didn't want to go back to sleep for fear I would end up in that dark room again. My daughter was sleeping next to me but she was totally untouched. Strange also. She told me though that she did feel someone touching her hair but that was all. Later when I did get back to sleep I was back in that same room but this time I managed to speak. I heard myself speaking but not waking. I said Help! Help me! Someone help me! Then I heard the cell phone going off again and woke up. The same thing with my mouth happened I had wet all over it. But I managed to speak that was a break through for me. I never felt them having sex with me during the time they held me, but who knows I couldn't feel a thing just being held without anyone helping to let me go. I have had repetitive dreams sort of like this before where they speak to me and I hear them say things to me. But I haven't had these since I was a kid. Now they are affecting me all over again. You are certainly not alone. Never feel like you are.
laydeerock (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
The same thing happened to me lastnight. That wasn't the first time. I was asleep, I started to feel hot so I got up to open the window.

I opened it and went back to bed, laying on my back. It felt like a dream at first: I tried to turn on my side but I could not move my arms or legs. I tried to speak but my mouth was numb and my tongue was heavy.

I tried real hard to say the Lord is my shepard... I felt released.

I'm fully awake now... I said the whole prayer. When I was done, it came back. I couldn't move again and my heart is pounding so loud I can hear it.

I start screaming the Our Father Prayer and I was released again. This time for good. I was able to turn over.

My heart was still pounding. I calmed down and said both prayers again.
cow (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
I had a very similer experiance to the craigster 586. I felt like someone was pushing on my chest with a phenominal amount of force, I could not move my body and I felt like I was screaming but no noise was coming out of my mouth. I not really into Ghosts and spooks but this was a very strange experiance. 😕
Nikki1990 (3 stories) (21 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-15)
Oh my gosh. That's crazy! I don't think I would be able to stay calm if I was being held down. How long did that thing hold you down for?
Piper (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-23)
two nights ago I was held down. This has happened once before. And I have never been so scared. I could barely speak and could not move. I was able to get out " I believe in the lord Jesus Christ" and then I was able to move.

I don't want that to ever happen again.
givemeaname (1 stories) (34 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-27)
i have read a lot of posts like yours and I'm sorry it scared you. Maybe there is a way to get this 'presence' to leave in some way. At least you didn't get hurt so it may not have been a demon but who knows? 😨
mollyann (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-07)
Mammacat I was so excited to see your post. I had the same experience for several years. Exactly. Always the same. Pinned down, unable to move or speak. I also had moved just before the experience on at least 3 occassions. The only thing that worked for me was to call on the name of Jesus.

Once it happened to me like this, I got up finally after it weakend, went to the kitchen got water. I was so nervous and upset I paced before even trying to lay back down and it happened again before I even drifted off. I know because I was to wound up to sleep. So I dismissed the REM theory. After that I would always stay awake and pray before going back to bed. I also heard the out of body theory. Notice I am calling these things theory. I don't believe it either; because when I would finally say the name Jesus, it would flee, usually out a window or doorway. It was a black shadow. Black, black. I wanted it to stop.

So I said Ok, I'll tell myself no soul walking, get back before wake up. Still happened. I told myself to wake up next time, and not to panic, still happened. Had people pray over me still happened. I annointed my room. It stoped. But it would happen if I traveled. Started carrying oil with me. It stopped again.

Then I went on business travel, forgot oil cause it had been so long since it had happened and I forgot. It happened again. I was ill this time. Went back to bed, deliberately quickly, it happened and I tried to see it. This time I saw the blob it had form, shape, human shape. I could almost see a face. Again my voice was muffled as I tried to speak Jesus name to stop it from opressing me. Finally, I said it and the thing flew out the hotel window. I saw it go. I sat straight up and watched it flee. I had had itn enough was enough. I asked God to just make it stop. Right after that night, I read something, now I don't remember where, huh? Anyway, it talked about the need to ask forgiveness and how that stopped this guys choking feelings from a spirit. At this point I'll try anything.

So I did. I asked God to forgive me. I asked Jesus to forgive me, I asked to be forgiven, even from things I didn't know about. I asked to be released (& this part is crucial) from the consequences of any past actions across time, and I asked for mercy and grace to be applied. I asked all that in Jesus' name. And it worked, it has never happened again. That's been 7 years ago now. I have never gone this long. I feel released. Mammacat is right about Baptism too, but don't do it until you believe. The Bible helps too, that's where I got the oil idea from. Peace be with you. I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy.
MAMMACAT75 (2 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
I went through what you are talking about 15 years ago. I KNOW it's real and I have my beliefs on the why's of this. I just want to mention that praying to the ALMIGHTY in the name of JESUS' lifted away the spirit both times this happened to me. I use to seek comfort in the "astral projection" theory, but I just don't feel that was it. It's an eerie feeling that's terrifying. I use to hear chanting and voices and such too when all this happened. I still have night terrors of incubus' trying to seduce me and apocolyptic dreams. I would also like to mention, they have limited power. They try to seduce, but cannot force themselves in us unless we let them. I really believe this to be true in my experiences. The ALMIGHTY won't let them. Also, have you brought anything into your home or played with an oija board or anything? Have you been hanging around with a person with a "dark" soul. Be careful not to get sucked in, other wise know that YOUR in control of yourself. Be strong and as the song goes in "OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOUGH" keep on the sunny side. I have "tortured" my husband with falling asleep to I LOVE LUCY reruns for 11 years of marriage but wow does it keep nightmares away. It really does...LUCY, LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, anything "light". The problem is when the vhs and dvd runs out and the dreams switch. Also, if you haven't been baptized I would advice so. I hope this helps. Are you a teen? The pinning down seems to happen to teens and happened to me when I was a teen. I have still experienced bed shakes and extreme nightmares since, but they come in "spells" and not the pinning down since I was 17. I was wondering if you have strong intuitions. There was so much more to my experience, but I hope my advice that helped/helps me will help you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-15)
to those making light of this individuals story, shame.

Shane, you are right. There is no such disease and I can speak to that with knowledge.

Thank you for sharing your story. I do hope these attacks have gone away or at least have not worsened. If they have continue, pray,pray,pray! Place a Bible near your bed and read from it. You must pray and read with conviction and banish the entity from your home in the name of God!

God Bless!
Tilis (2 stories) (16 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-15)
Oh my Gosh! That's happened to me before too! Only I didn't even fall asleep! I suddenly felt as though gravity was pressing down harder on me! I tried to get up on my hands and knees, but it continued to pin me down! I also tried to turn over on my back, but couldn't! After a while of fighting it, it weakened and stopped, so I turned over as quickly as I could and looked around, but nothing was there! It scared me so bad.

It happened around the time my grandma and grandpa moved into our house. Apparently, some sort of spirit had followed them, and it appeared as a human-shaped shadow, but you could only see it out of the corner of your eye, because when you would try to look directly at it, it would disappear as though it was severely shy. My grandma said that sometimes when she gets mad at derrel (my grandpa) then that same thing happens to him!

Had I angered the spirit, or was it messing with me?!
neuron (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-28)
Ive had the same thing happening to me for years Its not a medical condition its very much real, science has a long way to go before they think they can explain this one. It happens to me in dreams or when I'm awake, it trys to pull me out of my body.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-21)
Sir John would you please explain this mysterious diease or condition you have descrided to Craig. As I recently went and checked the medical books at the library for this condition and strangely it is missing, even from the newly updated editions. I also did not call you a liar, what you take from a comment often correlates to the sub conscious mind. I too study a little pyshcology as this sometimes relates to the paranormal. I stand by my comment, and I am willing to be proved wrong and will apologize if so proven. Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. Such a good saying don't you think.

Robert, first I apologize for using your story as a response board to others. I do believe you and what you are going through. I believe you had or maybe still are having a paranormal experience. Quite possibly an out of body experience. Do some research into this area and see if any of it matches what you experienced. Sorry for all the confusion you have gotten from everyone. You can choose the advise that you feel more directly relates to your situation or none at all. The ultimate choice stands with you. Good luck to you.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
JW (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
Dudes! Robert Craig yo! Robert wake up in 3D now you're still stuck in or half outta your body and listen up. What did I tell ya! You all take off your dunce caps and put on your thinking caps. Sir John Walter is kicking your knee caps on these posts. What I can see. This dude or dudette, most likely an old dudette, has something in common with that old crone Mrs. Dallinger and Monty Python as pineto said. Earth to Robert wake up dude! Guys are right in what they're saying.
craigster586 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
Sir John Walter, I still like your explanation it seems to be th most logical one but, I can't find such a dissorder. E-mail a link or please send me information about this "Forghaimaris", my main question is do these fits only happen when you sleep or wake up? I've never had a seizure that I know of. Even that night didn't quit seem like what a siezure would be but what do I know. I do know its not a ball of fire ghost that's trying to suck my blood.
Thanks, Sir John Walter
Robert Craig
craigster586 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
I would like people to completely read the story befor posting your entries, It seems like, the fact that I was able to MOVE for almost five minutes after awakening is going right over every ones head, Please don't read half the story and then think you have the answer, like what seems to be the case. Or I can make it simple about what I need an answer for. It's not the dream. It's the fact that I woke up, and after laying there for a few minutes I began to feel an unexplainable sensation through my body followed by being held down.

Robert Craig
chicano457 (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
join the club... As to an explaination how can anyone say its this and its that when the same person who gives an explanation can`t move. Just enjoy the ride baby... If you feel evil its an evil presence in your room I have been there more than two times
Tantaga (8 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
It's a bit difficult to explain, but yes the paralysis was due to your dream / astral state of being. I'll explain.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, you were not fully integrated with your physical body. Your astral body was rushing back to your body and was what you could call "half-way" in when you woke up.

Thus, as I said the realization of being in your body. As you would think, being only half way in your body isn't a good thing so your spirit had to complete the rest of the process even though your conscious mind was well awake. To finish integrating it had to "paralyze" your body so that it could finish the process.

If you think about it, it does make sense that your spirit would find it an easier time to get back into a body lying still as opposed to one that is lively and moving about.

Remember, as I've said in the previous post, to prevent this from happening again mentally tell yourself that you wish that whenever you leave your body while sleeping that your astral body enter and exit quickly. That way, you won't have to experience the feeling of being paralyzed because you won't be waking up mid-way through.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
Try googling the name Sir John Walter, Robert and you will see in an instant why you can not find "Forghaimaris", I think we are having our legs pulled by a couple of jokesters on this site. I invite them to prove me wrong. I'm just glad you didn't fall for it.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Robert Craig (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
Logically I like Sir John Walters explanation, but after trying to further research this-
(well known mental problem called "Forghaimaris")
I could not pull a search on anything that even resembled Forghaimaris and because I know nothing of this mental dissorder I'm not sure if the spelling was right.
Robert Craig (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-20)
Tantaga, You said, While you were outside of your body in what some call the astral realm your spirit encountered something it didn't like, thus causing your dream to become suddenly burdened as it is a reflection of what is taking place on the astral plane. It was in my dream that would have taken place about 100 miles away at my moms, what my spirit would have encountered in my dream was the feeling of being held down, which is what I feel caused me to wake up, In the dream I was trying to lay down and rest at my moms when suddenly somthing was hold me down except in the dream even though I was being held down, I was able enough to crawl but only my dream. When I woke up I was fully able to move it was it was about three to four minutes later I began to feel a sensation through my body followed by being held down. Are saying that because I excperienced that in my dream that it caused me to experience minutes after waking up?
Elahie (3 stories) (28 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
This could be one of the possibilities, this is a spirit called the Dooropener. This is one of the more modern names, the other two are Creole English, I can not give them to you because although I am a Creole English Speaker these words are to complex for me to spell.
These are people that are involved in witchcraft and as hard as it may seem to believe these people take of there skin, put it under a stone then turn into a ball of fire, get into peoples house's, finds someone holds them down and tries to suck their blood.
It happened to me a few times but I am deep sleeper so I did not wake up. In the morning when I woke up, there was a red mark on my leg as if someone sucked me (gross). I am not the only member of my famliy yhat experienced it. Some of them were awake like you.
If you do not want to believe you do not have too. Just giving you an explanation.

Good luck!
Brianna (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-19)
You have to make that jump in and out of your body. You can't be half in or half out. You might be laying on your own chest because you didn't get all the way in or out.
Tantaga (8 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-18)
What you have experienced is as you have said, not the REM state of sleeping. Although it shares similarities in that upon waking there are feelings of paralysis - it is different.

I'll try and explain it to you in a manner that may seem like a list, but it is to be helpful.

When many people go to sleep and begin to dream, they leave their physical bodies so that they may explore the upper realms and even "fly" or project themselves around the world.

While your spirit, energy, true essence, or whatever you wish to name it by is outside your body out on its business the body tends to dream.

Dreaming doesn't signify astral projection, as you can also do it while still in your physical body, it merely is a way for your conscious mind to interpret what your subconscious mind and high mind (your soul) are doing while you are asleep resting the physical.

In your case however, this was a night where you were out on an astral journey while your physical body lay asleep. While you were outside of your body in what some call the astral realm your spirit encountered something it didn't like, thus causing your dream to become suddenly burdened as it is a reflection of what is taking place on the astral plane.

This accidentally caused your conscious mind to wake you up, much as you would wake up during any other bad dream. However, the problem arises that you weren't fully occupying your physical body upon awakening.

In your case, as your astral body was trying to make it's way back to your physical body because of it's stress from the other side (as many people's spirits do - because if they feel stressed they'll often go back into the sleeping body) you woke up before the process was complete.

So, while your astral body was reintegrating itself with your physical conscious body, your conscious mind accidentally woke up before your spirit body had full control of it. So you were in your body, thus the acknowledgment of not being able to move but knowing the presence of being in body, but you were not integrated fully at that time so you were not able to move it.

But, once you were fully integrating you at once gained access to your movements again.

You were not under the attack of a demon, nor were you at risk of getting possessed as your body while astral projecting is guarded by spiritual protectors known as spirit guides who help, protect, and guide you throughout your life.

To prevent this from happening again, merely ask in your mind that whenever you enter and exit your physical body that you do so quickly so that you may not encounter this again.

I hope I have been a help to you. If you have more to ask, I'll gladly try my best to assist you. I do however suggest that you look up information about "astral projection" to better understand what happened and to look up information on "spirit guides" so that you may not feel fearful anymore about this experience.
Rob Craig (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-18)
Dean, I tried to find any explanation other then a ghost or any thing paranormal at first, but when I looked up muscle paralysation and awaking in rem state your in those states when you wakeup, I had woke up able to move and think clearly, I had no problem turning over to get more comfortable, it was moments after turning over and pondering the situation wondering if it was just a dream or real, that a weird sensation over came my body and it was then I was unable to move, I usually don't make a big deal out of things, but you don't just wakeup feeling o.k. (I mean I was scared) but I was aware that I could move at first before not being able to at all. If I woke up feeling paralyzed then I would settle for muscle paralysation or awaking in rem state but that wasn't my case, I just don't know.
Robert R. (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-18)
I had a similar experience many years ago, to this day the only person I shared this with was my mother, whom I showed the bruises... I was at that time, living in some 'maisonettes' that had been built during WWII (yes, I'm English and yes it was in England). I was unable to move, and unable to ...make any noise (scream ...would be an appropriate noise I tried to make). I was held down, being pushed down into the bed, being fully away and unable to move, it was not a pleasent experience and not one, I have chosen to share with people at large. I saw this story and decided to share... It's easy to 'explain' for other people, but if you've been on the recieving end, and had bruises, it's a whole different ballgame...

Peace...
Robert
(flashpointuk [at] yahoo.com - Ex-pat living in good ole' US of A for 10yrs now...)
Prophetess (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-18)
Dean, I totally agree, I get those restless feet syndrome when I wake up and feel like I am running.

and their have been case of demons doing physical things as well, they can throw things and things like that, I have felt one lay on me when I was still awake. This happens sometimes to those that are prophesizing about Jesus, what true prophesy is. Usually when You ask the Lord God our father to bless and clean your home, this makes a difference too.
Dean (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-18)
This is to do with muscle paralysation that you get if you wake up during a certain period of your sleep (usually from a nightmare), it is more common than you think, look it up.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-04-17)
I don't believe you were being attacked by demons or an attempted possesion. I feel as if a spirit is trying to contact you for some reason or purpose only they know. If you read my story Sleep interupted by spirits, you will see I went through a very difficult time myself. Something you can try as I have mentioned in other stories is to burn some lavander incense or sweet grass braids before going to bed at night and see if this helps.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: