You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Down A Dark Hall

Real Ghost Stories

Down A Dark Hall

 

I already despise the story that I am about to share because it has no ending. Twenty-one years have past since the activity started, and, at first, it seemed quite harmless, almost funny...ALMOST. But lately, there seems to be a new presence with more influence, and it has become quite frightening.

The house in which we live was purchased due to the convenience of its location. I grew up next door to this house in a pleasant and safe neighborhood full of loving and friendly neighbors. I saw several families come and go over the years, but the young couple who were the second owners of this house stands out the most due to the birth of their two children while they lived here. I babysat quite often over the years since I lived next door. They were wonderful people and fit perfectly into the neighborhood.

Years later, after my first husband and I divorced, I bought the house so that my eight-year-old son and I could live next door to my mother. I had met a young man from our small town that had those special qualities that I was looking for in a partner. We married, and 14 months later, my second son was born.

The young girl who had lived in this house many years before passed away just after the birth of my second son. The baby's room had belonged to the young girl who once lived here. It wasn't long before the activity reached a whole new level. When my second son was 2 1/2 years old, he was playing in his room while I was folding laundry on his bed, and he stopped and asked me if this room once belonged to a little girl. I told him that it did, and I began looking around to see if I could figure out how he knew that. We had never mentioned it before, there was no pink paint on the walls, and the carpet was earth tone. There were no indications that a female had once occupied the room. He continued to play for another minute or two, and then he stopped again and told me that she had died and that her name was Tracy.

I immediately froze! How could he possibly know that? She had not lived in the house for over 20 years! I tried to remain calm, and I told him that he was correct. When I asked him how he knew that, he told me that she had just told him. I quickly gathered a few of his toys and a change of clothes and told him that we were going to visit next door with my mom. I had to tell someone what had happened, but it needed to be someone who would not think I was totally crazy.

This is how the story begins. I had no idea what I would be facing in the future or how it would affect my family. The experiences that started that day have opened doors that I did not believe were possible. I will continue to share the remaining events if you are truly open-minded and interested in taking this journey with me, but I must warn you, these events are true. You may find yourself searching for logical explanations, but there aren't any.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jenn63, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-17)
Jemn63, well a big Hi from another frustrated writer,

For the past several years, I have had a fiction book bouncing around in my mixed up little brain. In my case I had some help, to come to completion. It gets easier in time.

Your introduction has generated interest, and that is good. I too, am interested in your long experience. It sounds like your home was (is) an interesting place to live...

Keep up the good work, you will find a way to let all be told. Welcome to YGS.

Jan
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-17)
Greetings, Jenn63, from a fellow English Teacher!

1. I think it is important that you respect your children's wishes and *not* publish their names on YGS. I'd suggest using letters (e.g.: A, B, and C) or create new nicknames based on fictional characters (e.g.: "Huck" "Ishmael" and "Boone") so they cannot be traced back to your children directly. It's great that you're willing to share, but don't over-share personal information that could be traced back to people who may feel hurt, even resentful, despite your good intentions.

2. If by "previous life experiences" you mean your son could recall events from a previous incarnation, you're getting close to the edge of what will be posted on YGS, but I believe you're still on the safe side of the line. It's up to the discretion of the mods, of course, but we've had narratives that incorporated elements of reincarnation published here before.

I've been looking forward to your next installment, so -please- get typing!

Best,
Biblio.
Jenn63 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-02-17)
I am truly grateful to those of you who have commented and asked questions. My knowledge of the history of the house and its former families clouded my writer's vision and caused me to leave out details that my readers would need in order to get a full understanding of what is taking place. I will try to
Clarify a few things.
First of all, I was raised in the house next door and babysat Tracy and her brother when they were small children. Tracy was a round-faced little girl whose blonde hair, deep brown eyes, and radiant smile could light up any room. Even during her illness, she maintained that loving spirit and strong desire to live. As a small child, she loved animals, especially cats. Years later, after suffering many misdiagnosed illnesses as a child, doctors finally determined that she had a rare lung disease which eventually led to her death.
When we first moved into this house, we did experience simple, unexplainable things like hearing giggling sounds in the hallway and in the bedroom at the end of the hall which had beenTracy's room. At the time, we were using it as storage space, so we rarely went in the room. We also had some occasions where objects would be moved from one location to another without a logical explanation. Many times my oldest son from my first marriage, who was eight years old at the time and is now 29, would often mention that things in his room were out of place. We just thought he had moved them himself and forgotten about it.
Tracy's room became the baby's room after my second son, who is now 19, was born. No one in my family, including my mother, had ever discussed Tracy around my children due to the circumstances of her death and the amount of time that had passed. All three of my children were extremely articulate as toddlers, so the words spoken by my 2 1/2 year old in his squeaky little voice full of Southern drawl were completely normal. I am an English teacher, so I take all the credit for their intelligence! (My husband does not always let me get away with that claim!)
I had a couple of other ideas about how this piece was written, and I would like your opinions. I feel that the story would have flowed better if I had used quoted dialogue and my children's names, but, at this time, they are not comfortable with their names being publicized. My middle child, who is now 19 and was the 2 1/2 year-old in the story, began speaking of his previous life experiences at the age of 3 1/2, and this lasted until he was around five years old. I was going to include the details of these experiences in my next piece. What do you think? Thank you so much for your time and suggestions.
Slewis88 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-12)
I love reading stories with multiple parts but hate the suspension lol. Can't wait to read the next part!
silverknight (1 stories) (25 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-02-10)
Hello Jenn63. Just the other fellow commenters, I am also a bit confused with the timeline of events in the story. It would be nice if you could shed some light to clarify it. What I can take away from your story though is the appearance or communication the spirit did with your child. This is almost universal no matter what country I read the story from, spirits always easily show themselves to little kids. In some religions, temples give a blessed prayer paper to folks with little kids. I didn't know what it's purpose was until I was told it was to keep stuff like what your child encountered from happening.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-02-02)
Hello Jenn63,

I think you will find the people that make Your Ghost Stories what it has become, are very open minded to truth.
Like Augusta has said, it seems you took a large leap of time, I was wondering if you could fill in the gaps, in order for YGS readers, to have a better understanding. Please do not leave out important details.
Perhaps by going back to the beginning, and think of these installments, as chapters in a book. You can tell us more of the girl that died, in greater detail.
Your Son seems to be unusually well spoken, or was it heard in detail as only a Mother understands.
Wishing you well,
Jan
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-02-02)
I am having a bit of trouble with the timeline here as well, hopefully, Jen can clear that up. I do have a few other questions.

From the beginning of the account, you seem to cast a suspicious eye toward the house next door to your parents - why is that? Were you suspicious from the start of its being haunted? If so, why?

When did the activity you are experiencing begin. You say at the beginning 21 years ago then after your second was born that it reached a whole other level... What level did it begin with? You say it started out harmless and funny... Its a bit difficult to perceive an escalation or point out a pattern without some notion of where and how things began.

What strikes me most about this experience isn't the brief paranormal moment but the fact that a 2 1/2 year old had such a clear perception of what same before him. Generally children of that age have no concept of the past or that anything really existed before they were born or any notion at all that their home was ever inhabited by anyone but themselves and their family.
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-01-30)
Hi Jenn63 welcome to YGS.

I would like to get a sense of the time line here, when you mention that it's been 21 years since the start of the activity, is this story counted as the start of it? I.e. Your son is now 24 correct?

Like Cuddlebear I also look forward to more installments.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-01-30)
I too am looking forward to more installments. I think you will find this is a pretty opened minded audience.

I think is it not improbable that your 21/2 year old could have gotten the information from a number of sources, chiefly your mother or his brother. You family has lived in the area for quite some time so it is not unreasonable to suspect that your elder son had heard stories of the people who had lived in the house in the past.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-01-28)
Looking forward to the next installment.

But did you mean the girl Tracy was one of the little ones you babysat or was she living there before that family?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: