You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Paralysis - Paranoia

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Paralysis - Paranoia

 

I was hoping someone could give an opinion about an experience I have been having recently. I don't strongly believe in the supernatural, but lately some things have been getting to me.

To start off, I have been living in the same house with my parents and sister for about 10 years now. My parents used to rent the basement as an apartment for people. In 2005 a couple were living there. The man usually worked during the day and I believe the woman did not work, so she was there alone a lot. One day my mother told us that during a conversation with the woman - the woman had told her she thinks there was a spirit in the basement. She said she had seen an old woman from time to time, and that it had even given a name to her - "Gloria." Of course, we just laughed about it. We eventually forgot about her story and the couple moved out a few months later to get a bigger place.

Now to my experience. This first thing was in July 2009. The summer was hot, as usual and the AC didn't work well in my upstairs bedroom. Since it was cooler in the basement, I got in the habit of going there during the day. Nothing happened for a while; I watched movies and played video games on my laptop. One morning I awoke and I was especially sweaty. My parents had already gone out to do grocery shopping.

I woke up and soon went to the basement with my laptop and a book I had been reading. We have an old bed in the basement, so I usually am on that when I am there. I was reading and started getting sleepy, so I switched off the light and went to the bed lying on my back and just relaxed. I was like that for about 2 hours, and I began to drift off but did not fall asleep. As my eyes were closed and I was drifting off I suddenly felt a pressure come against me and my mind immediately became alert. The thing is I could not move. I could not open my eyes or move my body at all. I felt a weird tickling sensation against my skin and my hair was standing up. I began to panic and then I heard a voice across my mind. The voice can best be described as a distant mournful and aroused moan. It sounded feminine. This lasted a few seconds and soon as my body could move and left all my things in the basement and ran upstairs.

I stayed up there until my parents came home, then I began to rationalize with myself that it was nothing. I made my way back downstairs to get my things and as I entered the room, for some reason I turned to the closet and said, "Get out and leave me alone." I eventually got back into the habit of hanging out in the basement, but I never turned the lights off or tried to sleep there again.

For the past few months now (Sept-Oct) I have been having trouble sleeping. First it just felt like anxiety from my own life that was the problem, but I often felt like I wasn't alone. Once I saw a tiny red circular light at the edge of my bed but it was gone as soon as I blinked.

About a week ago I experienced the sleep paralysis again. I was sleep for a while but suddenly I had a distinct feeling that I needed to look at the end of my bed. I started hearing a male voice that I first thought was part of a lucid dream I must have been having. The voice sounded like an arrogant male that was whispering. I could not make out what it was saying. I open my eyes and I suddenly felt scared to look. I tried to move myself to look but the rest of my body would not move and I could still hear the echo of a male voice. I felt my fear building and soon, my head broke free from the paralysis but it started shaking as if I was having a seizure. Then the voice was gone and my body could move again. I turned on the light and sat there before I could fall asleep.

Lately I can fall asleep fine but I get up around 2am and I have trouble falling back asleep due to feeling of anxiety. The only time I can sleep through the entire night is when I keep my bedroom lights on, which is weird for me because I have never been afraid of the dark before.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shadowfax, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

XxelliesxX (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
I have had sleep paralysis (I think that's how you spell it also) its not a nice experiance and it really did scare me, although I have only had it once.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
I remember in one of the apartments my dad lived in I would see a little red light all the time in the closet and around the house. My step mother saw it once but only in a reflection from the television and my step-brother saw it too. Never had sleep paralysis though. I remember you could get that little light to come out if you talked about it enough.

-Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
KirkoBezerko (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-17)
It's called sleep paralysis or the the "Night Hag' it's common and nothing to be afaird of, just your brain playing tricks on you.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2009-11-08)
shadowfax and gandalf... MY FAVORITE BOOKS!...and yes, gandalf is an elf... Hard to convince some people though... They just don't pay attention...sorry, had to let you guys know!
portia311 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-04)
I suffer from it as well. It can be very scarey. But it really sounds like sleep paralasis. People have been known to helucinate in these episondes. Doesnt make it any scarier for those who suffer though. I'm sorry. My regards ❤
ZiShu (281 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-04)
Sounds like a demon.
Demons tends to wake up people in a certain state of sleep paralysis, or they induce sleep paralysis on victims so the person can fear it and the demon would feed off the negative energy.
You said you wake up at 2am a lot? Demons are active at midnight, especially at 3AM.
If actually see where the voice is coming from or when you are paralyzed and see something, it would most likely be a humanoid shadow or dark mist.
I know all of this because I constantly wake up and paralyzed to something coming into my room. I sometimes see the shadow, they never speak to me. One of them have red eyes. They put dread into their victims.
Http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iq2vQY1Jeaw/SbPVeXvgMbI/AAAAAAAAL7w/JcR3ZXbshGc/s1600/shadowpeople.jpg
Look at that picture... Gives you a better understanding of the situation...
You need to start praying to God to protect you before you go to sleep, also if you wake up paralyzed, pray to God or try to yell out God or Jesus's name, the paralyzing should stop soon or instantly, tell it to leave in then name of God
God Bless
GandalftheElf (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
I think its a sleeping disorder, because you can't believe everything you hear, and if you think there's a real problem, call in experts

BTW I like your name
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
I have dealt with sleep paralysis for what seems like my whole life... For me, it is always a frightening experience... All three of my kids are affected also...however, they have learned to just go with it and none of them get scared at all anymore... I have learned to control the onset, because as it begins, I get a humming in my ears that gradually takes over my whole head...so, now, when the hum starts, I wake myself up and change position... I know it USUALLY happens when you're on your back, but I experience it in other positions also... Try to become aware of the sensations at the begining, and maybe you can at least somewhat control it... Hope this helps...
slp (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-03)
This is a natural, not a supernatural occurrence though I sympathize that it's spooky as hell to live through. It happens most to me when I'm napping when I'm super tired for whatever reason. A quick google search on sleep disorders and you find all the symptoms. What's basically happening is that your sleep cycles are overlapping: in phase 1 you're aware of your surroundings but having disjointed thoughts. In REM sleep your brain paralyzes your body, randomly fires neurons, and dreams. When the cycles overlap, you're paralyzed but more or less aware of your surroundings, and subject to visual and auditory hallucinations. The best thing to do when this happens is concentrate on moving, speaking, anything to wake up.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: