You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Grandma's Little Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma's Little Haunted House

 

I have been reading the stories on this site for some time now and I find them all very interesting. I find myself not only on the site everyday but also that I can't wait to read the stories that have been published. I really like this site!

Let me start off by saying that I have never seen a ghost but have had a number of odd things happen to me all my life. You could say it runs in the family. My father and his sister have had things happen to them but that is for another story. This story has to do with my grandmother (my mother's mother) whom I was very close to, until we lost her to cancer last year (December, 2008) one week before Christmas. I miss her sorely and this time of year has lost some of that sparkle it once held for me... But I am getting off track.

These experiences have to do with my grandmother's house, since my grandmother past away my brother now owns it. It may sound strange writing about a house like this but I believe that there was another house/building that once stood on the land that my grandmother's house now stands.

The first experience:

My grandmother was watching TV one evening and she looked up in the hallway (which you can see from the living room) and she saw a man walking down the hallway and into one of the back rooms. She was alone in the house at the time. When I asked her what he looked like she said that he was wearing an old fashion black formal outfit (like the ones men used to wear when they would go to fancy parties back in the late part of the 19th century/early part of the 20th century). She also noted that he was also wearing a top hat. She told me that the coat the man was wearing was black and had 'tails' that hung down to the knees. She then told me that she could only see him from his knees up; she could not see his feet.

The second experience:

My grandmother was once again home alone in the house. At this point she had retired from her job (it was the early part of the 1980's). She was in the dining room when she looked up she saw a man walking from the hallway into the living room toward her. The living room and the dining room in my grandmother's house are connected. There are no walls that separate the two rooms. My grandmother was not scared she said she was just interested in what was happening (I am the same way). The man stopped a few feet from her and just looked at her and smiled. After about a minute or so he simply vanished but not before she saw what he was wearing.

When I asked her to describe him she said that he was wearing a white shirt and white pants and said he was also wearing what looked like a doctor's coat because it went to his knees. I found this interesting but what really interested me was when she said that once again, she could only see him from the knees up, no feet.

I read books on the paranormal every chance I get and found one that explained this phenomenon. It said that when a house/building is built in the area that another house/building once stood or if you raise/lower the flooring of an existing house/building and see ghosts in this way, it is because the level the flooring has been changed from what it was like in their own time. Hence, this is why you would only see a ghost from either the knees up or from the waist up, depending on how dramatic the level of the flooring has been changed. I was thinking something along the same lines, but the book confirmed it for me.

Let me also say that I believe my grandmother one hundred percent when she told me about these encounters, she was not one to make up stories. Also because my brother and I have had things happen to us in this house, but that is for another story.

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it! Sorry about the length.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MidnightRose, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Scream (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-04)
MidnightRose,

I couldn't help but constantly peer down the hallway, half expecting to see a man wearing what you and your grandmother have described in experience 1. Your grandmother sounded like a great person, and her house sounded mostly like ours. I loved your story! All teh best,

Scream xx
AAR (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-01)
Hi my name is Rynaisha what I think you should do is next time you see the ghost ask it its name who it is etc.,ect.,. That might help a little bit.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-31)
Something else to remember- Japanese Ghosts also cannot be seen to have feet. Yurei, is the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C5%ABrei
soul (1 stories) (54 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-30)
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

May your loving grandmother rest in peace.

Intersted in other stories. Please write more.

Take care. ❤ ❤ ❤
race_girl21 (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-28)
I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story it was very interesting. God bless 😊
CutishIvy (47 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-28)
thanks for the story. May she rest in peace. A little curious for me about the two ghost you're grandma saw, is that two different ghost or the same ghost in different outfit? I'm glad there's no cruel things happen in that house so far. Keep on posting. Will try harder to post soon.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-27)
Sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose the people we love. Not sure if what your grandmother experienced was residual or intelligent but seems like whatever it was it had no intentions of harm. My niece when she was 8 saw the apparition of her cousin's great grandmother (in the grandmother's home) and she said you couldn't see her legs from the knees down. It never looked at her but just glided down the hallway and disappeared into a bedroom. When I asked her to discribe what she saw she gave the great grandmother's discription tall, lean and with a bun in her hair but it was more a silhouette it was all black. Please bear in mind this was at 1PM and broad daylight. I don't think it has all that much to do with floor levels but I have read it has to do with a dimension that is literally 3 ft. Above our own. My brother too saw legs and feet crossing a road one very early morning on his way to work so not sure if this theory holds water. I think it may be as simple as not being able to fully manifest and so you end up seeing them partially. We look for common threads in all these stories to help people understand what's happening. Seems to me all hauntings have a lot in common. So either millions are hallucinating much of the same phenomenon or hauntings have some validity. It's said the right temporal lobe of the brain causes all this to seem real to us when it's not. Not sure I buy that theory either. It's also said kinetic energy (teens usually have this) is no doubt the cause of most poltergeist activity. Meaning it still all stems from the brain not some ethereal dimension. If all cases could be explained away by these theories they might hold water however too much evidence to the contrary also has been documented. As science progresses maybe one day what we consider paranormal now will be found very normal or we will finally get concrete evidence of a world beyond our physical one. Here's hoping for the latter. Great story and thanks for sharing.
77believer (1 stories) (34 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-22)
Wow! I'm sorry for the loss of your Grandmother. 😢 ❤ My best friend's grandmother died on Christmas (Not sure what year.) whereas my dad was actually born on Christmas. It sounds like your grandmother had two ghosts. Or were they the same person? I'm like you, I never see ghosts but stuff happens like... The zipper. I'm going to try to submit my story about the zipper if I can. I hope they don't reject it. 😉
rhoxii (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-21)
oh! I just like this story:) ! Thanks for the author...:) ...
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-21)
hello rose, I lost my mum to cancer, I understand totally how hard it is to deal with. God bless and keep your chin up daz.
skaterperson250 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-18)
cheese louise. I have never had something like that happen and hope it will never happen to me. 😕 God bless ❤
Erte4879 (3 stories) (18 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-17)
I really really know where you're coming from in your second paragraph. It's just not the same is it? Hang in there. 😁
Interesting what you saw about the changes in flooring levels and how that alters a manifestation. It makes sense. It also has me thinking, my Grandmother once saw a ghost who just appeared from THE WAIST DOWN. Just pants and bare feet. I wonder what that means and how flooring changes might have had to do with it.
robertar (223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-17)
lots of people report partial appiritions. Could also be that it takes less energy to manifest a partial image. Another explanation is that it sometimes isn't what it appears to be. Sometimes they appear to glide, rather than walk.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-17)
I take it that the reason that you think there was another house on that location is because of the not seeing below the knees thing? Was the apparitions really short, like their knees touching the floor, it seems they would have to be and that would be one of the first things to notice, other than the fact that they were apparitions to begin with. Are there other neighbors around the area, surely the old timers would remember the previous residence or type of building that once stood there. Have you or your family ever asked around about that?
MidnightRose (1 stories) (15 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-17)
Thank you for your kind words Surya:) It's not easy but I keep telling myself at least she is no longer in any pain and that she is amoung family and friends. That is a great comfort for me. The one thing I loved the most about her was her smile. My grandmother's smile would brighten up a room. She also loved to make others smile and to see smiles. So, even though this year may be different, I think I will give her the gift of a smile, I think she would like that 😁
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-17)
Thank you for sharing your story with us. Losing a loved one is always hard, and I know that when those special days come they never seem the same. The sparkles are there but we just don't see them or acknowlegde them. I hope this time around, you will once again feel that sparkle that you once held.

Surya

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: