You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: A Blue Dog?

Real Ghost Stories

A Blue Dog?

 

Now, since the last time I've submitted stories, I've still had episodes of sleep paralysis/hypnagogia. It's gotten a lot better though, I've managed to calm myself down just by taking deep breaths and thinking about how its all been explained by science, and that I'll be perfectly safe. I Hope that's helpful to some of you, if you're experiencing the same things.

I've recently had a very messed up sleeping schedule. Finals will do that to you! I'm often awake at the early hours of the morning, when the sun is just beginning to come out. Perhaps because of the placement of my room in my house, it always has a bluish tinge as the sun is coming up. My story takes place at one of those times. I woke up around five AM, or six maybe. The time isn't very important just know that my room was bright enough to see everything clearly, but still not daytime-bright. I rolled around my bed some, and thought about how I wanted to go back to sleep, how I was going to pass my next final, and mundane things like that. And then, I felt the familiar paranoia sneaking into my thoughts. "Oh no," I thought. "How can this possibly happen when it's light out?!" I tried to get my brain to be quiet, but it didn't work. I felt myself stiffening up in fear again, and to hear the strange screaming wind I always hear in these episodes. And then, I saw a weird dog-thing.

To be honest, it wasn't really a dog. It was an upright-standing thing, that had the face of a dog, or deer, but flat, like a human's. Try to imagine a dog's features on a human face. It had antler horns, and was impossibly tall. Very long torso, very, very, very long arms. Because I was lying on my bed looking upward at it, I didn't see its feet, but proportionally I felt its legs should have extended far below my floor. It was a strange navy blue color, and the texture of the skin looked like it was made of gauze, or some thin, flaking paper mache. Its limbs and body were all coiling and writhing, like a piece of string would if you kept twisting it. Each part of it twisted separately from the others, and it bobbed up and down, like a particularly grotesque dance.

It stared straight ahead, bobbing and weaving. I just kept hoping for it to be over. I'm sure you all can guess what happens next then. It looks at me and reaches out a hand, kind of a giant crab-claw looking thing. I close my eyes, but can feel it's getting closer to me. And then, I feel a strange sensation around my stomach, and in my mind, I can see the thing's claw puncturing in the 'darkness,' with white light coming out of the hole. My eyes fly open, and of course everything goes back to normal.

To me, the strangest part is this: White seems a fairly symbolic color. Why did I see the claw reaching out of a totally blank, white space?

I suppose I just have interesting hallucinations, though I'm very interested in hearing other people's takes on it too!

Other hauntings by neu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, neu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jenn92 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-24)
Wow that's crazy! That would scare the living crap outta me. I hope you haven't seen this thing since. And got some answers as to what exactly it was. ❤
master-enigma (9 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-27)
In what I have read in your story, it is definitely look-like a Demon. But in contrary, it can be a hallucination cause by the hypnagogia 🤔
KatalinaMesaru (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-12)
It is most definately a demon. The attacks you have are either it trying to possess you and your will is too strong or it is trying to hurt you, but it can't manifest itself enough to do it. You feel physical pain, but no mark right? If there is a mark then your will and spirit is not strong enough and the demon has manifested itself to hurt you. My advice, if you are religious, talk to a pastor and ask for his or her help to get rid of the demon. If you are not religious, I suggest hanging juniper branches above all of your doorways. On both sides too. It has helped me when I had demon experiences.
SilentListener (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-12)
That sounds really frightening! I wish I had some advice or help but I don't know much about these kinds of things. I would suggest asking around, researching and looking at the history of your home or family. Thank you for sharing this story.
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
This sounds like a forest spirit by the description of the animal head and the "coiling and writhing" of it Maybe a Chindi or a Wendigo both are Vengeance spirits but can also be protectors so as long as you don't anger mother earth it won't hurt you.
Grimm-Reaper24 (1 stories) (31 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
it sounded like you were encountering a fur-fur, its a demon of sorts. Its body is comprised of many different species but it isn't known to cause harm to humans but rather according to lore, the fur-fur is a being that causes the thunder and lightning in a storm, as well as the physical and sexual attraction between men and women. Since it didn't exactly cause you any harm but rather scare the daylight out of you, I wouldn't think you have to worry about it... Maybe it's little dance was meant to wake you up more or it could've been the "i have to pee" dance
Ghost_Dog (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-17)
Hi neu, Mabey it was the chimera that you saw! Its a mytholigy creature that haves different parts of animals but anyway, intresting story there! Thanks for sharing it with us! 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
Yes, aherr, I think we ALL "heard about those bad bad psychiatrist".
I would like to add just a bit to BJJ's suggestions. I would also provide a bit of "back ground" music. Not something that would keep him awake, but something that seems to calm, or soothe him.
For my seven year old, that is still Peter, Paul and Mary. For the eighteen year old, that would be Avenged Sevenfold. Monitor his mood. When it appears to shift, change the music.
Ear plugs would help with the OUTSIDE noises, but for the "inner" voices, see if you can find some books on tape. Keep them "bed time suitable" and something that he likes, but is not TOO interested in. No need encouraging him to STAY up just to hear what is on the next page.
But enough to distract him.

Please excuse the interruption, neu.
shadowphil13 (22 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-24)
I've heard and had sleep paralysis before, but I've never heard of a chimera (beast with different animal parts) fused with an Avatar before. You must have been hallucinating.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-23)
Aherr, you have an interesting challenge on your hands. It's nigh impossible to explain sleep paralysis to an adult, I'm sure it's even more difficult to explain to a child. There are a few things you can do to hopefully ease his mind though.
If he doesn't have a nightlight already, get him one. Explain the basic mechanics of how sleep paralysis works, and that staying calm is the best way to end it quickly. Whatever works to keep him calm, praying, singing, counting, anything to get his focus off of not being able to move and engage his mind with something else. Also, I've read that sleeping on your back is more likely to bring on an SP experience.
A couple of other ideas, pick whatever suits your faith and roll with it. A line of salt around his bed or at his bedroom door will create a barrier against negative energies. A smoky quartz or amethyst by his bed may help as well. If this just isn't your style, hang a cross over his bed. Although it likely is just sleep paralysis, doing one or all of these things may help him feel safer and rest easier. Whatever it takes to let the little guy rest.
You may also try hiding a voice recorder somewhere in his room. On the off chance something is present that is troubling him, you will have proof. Anyway, hope this has helped a little.
Blessings ❤
aherr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-23)
That's what happen to my son. He's 11 years old and still sleeps with his grandparents or my husband and I when the grandparents are not home.

He said he's always scared of sleeping by himself because he's so sensitive to noises. He said his brain continues to tell him that he's going to Hell and at night time he can't move because someone is squishing him.

I literally think it's not a ghost, just the sleep paralysis or problem. I told him when he sleeps, he needs to think about all the good things such as his friends at school, video games, toys, and etc. My question is how can we help people or kids like this. I don't want to send my son to a psychiatrist and drug him. You guys heard about those bad bad psychiatrist.
Guitarist67 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-11)
its wierd I have similar expieriences both blue dog and the one about the fear at night
Has it been something you have seen the doctor about because
I need to know if I should because this hyparsleepparlyssis whatever thing you guys are descriping is oddly familiar to what I go through every night 😐
Guitarist67 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-11)
very similar thing happened to me and my mom on the same night same time different rooms.
A blue man with a blue claw in a old time detectives outfit much like homes. Reached at me with its wierd blue claw thingy then it turned to a brigth white then dissapeared (was paralzed with fear and couldn't shut my eyes.) I told my mom and her response was Omg, the exact same thing happened to me last night!
I later explored the place where I saw the thing and found nothing.
sterhawk123 (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-10)
Not all things that look scary are evil. I alway try to remember that. 😁
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
Devious Angel,
Truce. I enjoy your commentary on this site very much, please keep sharing. You are very insightful for your age. Keep flipping that coin.

God Bless,
Lou
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
LouSlips, my apologies then. I've read a lot of snarky comments on here that I know would hurt my feelings, but perhaps I was being too sensitive and did not take your comment the way it was intended. Now that you explain it, I understand better. Thank you for putting me in my place.:)
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-20)
DA,
My first comment was sarcastic but was not intended to be hurtful. And from Neu's response, he (or she) understood that and retorted appropriately and in good humor. The creature described reminded me of what I have seen on the trailer, because, no, I have not seen the movie. MY reference to media-promoted hypnosis, was a knock on people rushing to movie theaters because a self-proclaimed genius of a movie director, has baited the media into thinking his eccentric compulsion makes him special...again, not a knock on Neu.
I have had many experiences in my lifetime, and have been fortunate enough to help many people through their paranormal experiences. My wit tends to come to the front, and to anyone I have offended, my apologies. But DA, relax... You don't need to be an expert on everything... Cudos for rushing to the defense of someone you thought was being attacked... But as previously stated, my intent was not to be hurtful, and your posturing is unnecessary.

Lou
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
LouSlips, I'm not sure what you're referring to with "media-promoted hypnosis" other than to suggest that the author hallucinated something from a movie in which case your comment just came across a little snide (to me, anyway) but the idea for people posting here is to try and help. If you're not trying to help, then why waste your time, and the author's? Just my two cents.:)

Neu, the good thing is that you have previously dealt with sleep paralysis and have a better handle on yourself when you realize it's happening. Hallucinations ARE common during that vulnerable state, so try not to believe your eyes and just remember that the human mind is a bizarre place! If it means something, it will reveal itself to you in due time. ❤
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
DA,
Nope, not a big fan of media-promoted hypnosis...whoops, condescension rising. Thanks for the etiquette lesson... And as stated originally, Neu... No offense intended.

Lou
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
I have to agree that the creature described sounds nothing like the Avatar beings except that they are blue. Lou, a better question may have been "have you seen Avatar? It sounds like those creatures" instead of the way you put it, which was very condescending.

But enough about that.:) I have no explanation for what this creature was, other than perhaps an illusion of the light and combination of sleeplessness and hallucinations. Though I feel something a bit more is there too. The whole "puncturing the light" thing is very odd to me... It almost sounds like something reachting through to your "inner light". Please let us know if anything else develops. Thanks!
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-19)
First of all, the creature he described didn't really resemble anything in avatar, other than it being tall and blue. A friend of mine had a very similar experience with a creature in his room with deer antlers. I have posted the story on here, and you can check it out, just access my profile. It's the one about Drew's Ghost. It could have been a spirit guide even. Sometimes they can appear in very strange ways. Then again it could be entirely different or a hallucination.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-17)
"Sleep paralysis is a condition characterized by temporary paralysis of the body shortly after waking up (known as hypnopompic paralysis) or, less often, shortly before falling asleep (known as hypnagogic paralysis)."
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/glossary.php
Meaning Sleep paralysis is the actual inability to move right before (the hypnagogic stage) or right after (the hypnopompic stage) sleep.
"Hypnagogia are the experiences a person can go through in the hypnagogic state, the period of falling asleep..." http://www.yourghoststories.com/glossary.php
Meaning: The hallucinations that occur just before sleep over takes you. You know how people talk about "that period of time right between asleep and awake"? THAT is the hypnagogic state. The images that appear? THOSE are the hypnagogia.

You are right. We have several stories on here about Sleep paralysis that seem to have components of both forms of the hallucinations.
Thank you.
fatthead (1 stories) (55 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
Lack of sleep causes some people to see things. Try to get some regular sleep but that animal thing would be a scary sight I hope things get better.
neu (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
Haha! This was before Avatar came out.:P

[at] whitebuffalo: Yes, this is definitely hypnagogia/sleep paralysis (tbh, I'm not sure of the difference between the two). But I thought we could post those stories on this site, so I did.
musicgrrl104 (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
Now that I've read your story, and the comments, I gotta ask the same question that LouSlips did.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
Wow.
I am just...
To tell you the truth, I keep coming back to this story as I can not help but think there is something I missed in the whole thing.
With just what you have posted, it sure sounds like a case of hypnagogia, does it not?
Thank you.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
Neu,
No offense intended, but how many times have you seen Avatar?

Lou

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: