You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Swirling And Screaming

Real Ghost Stories

Swirling And Screaming

 

I'm not sure if this would fall under the category of sleep paralysis or other such diagnoses, because though all of the following incidents have happened while I was in bed, they don't match the descriptions of any other accounts I've read, nor did they happen when I was just waking or falling asleep. But I suppose I should just say what happened.

Probably the first time something strange happened, I was 12. I was up very late, past midnight for sure, which didn't bother me, as I've had insomnia problems my whole life. But for some reason, that night, I was totally scared. Why? I still don't know. I just know that I'd felt a creeping, slowly increasing fear that entire night, since I'd gotten into bed.

I was trying to calm down by reading, all the while telling myself there was nothing to be afraid of, there wasn't even a reason to be afraid at that moment in time. What was really odd about that was, usually I'm very good at reasoning with myself. Yet though I knew there was absolutely no rational reason for me to feel at all different, it was almost like someone else's voice was rebutting everything I was thinking about being perfectly safe. At around 2:30 AM, the fear increased, a lot. I felt like I couldn't even have my head out of the covers anymore, like if I left any part of myself outside my blankets, I'd be dragged away into hell, or something of the sort. I dived under my covers.

This is where it gets even stranger; how I'd said before it was like someone's voice was telling me I wasn't safe, being afraid, and that someone else's voice was saying terrible things would happen? That voice turned more and more audible, and getting more and more afraid until it dissolved into just screaming, so loud that it was all I could hear. I couldn't tell you the gender of the voice. It sounded both like someone shrieking in terror, and like an extremely strong wind, which I also felt, from somewhere north of my head, blowing down so strong I couldn't even open my eyes. At the same time, I felt as if I were falling from my middle, like a vortex had formed around my stomach and was sucking me downward. I could barely breathe; I was hyperventilating out of fear that now felt entirely my own.

Abruptly, after what felt like forever but was most likely only a few minutes, it stopped. I kept my eyes closed shut, and somehow managed to fall asleep.

I'm 17 now, and I've been having instances like that since then, with minor deviations.

Once I also heard voices talking, right after the wind stopped. One was my own voice, and another that I didn't recognize, saying how funny the way I reacted was. Though I looked directly at where the voices came from, which was right above my head, there was nothing there.

Another time, I did manage to open my eyes against the wind. It looked like the very reality of my room was blowing away in it, everything was blurred in the direction the wind was blowing, but nothing was actually being blown away. Another time I opened my eyes, I saw what looked like a very obese woman with long red hair, melting into the wind. But she didn't look quite human- I couldn't tell if she was old or young, she was covered in giant warts and had yellow eyes. The edges of her were flickering like she was made out of fire. It looked like she was the one screaming. I never tried to open my eyes again, after seeing her.

I really have no idea what it could be; some have said a really bad case of hypnagogia, or accidental astral projection gone wrong.

If you have any ideas what it is or what I can do to make it stop, please leave a comment!

Other hauntings by neu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, neu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

arum (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-04)
Maybe you have Exploding head syndrome and synesthisia mixed together! That might be a cause.
Guitarist67 (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-11)
I know exactly what your talking about this happens to me constantly exceppt I hear screaming in my head then BANG it all heads with me having a cold sweat and easing myself to sleep under the covers. Then in the morning I ask my parents if the hear anything. They say no this happens about every 3 or 4 months please tell me if you found a soloution
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-27)
I meant does it happen always in a semiconscious state. But since you've answered am clear that it happens when your'e wide awake, I just need to know if it is the same always that is does it happen only when your wide awake.
neu (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-25)
blank:
I've always been wide awake, I think. Also, I think you cut off the end of your sentence. When I'm in a semiconcious state, it's always what?
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-25)
Heyy that's kind of creepy, guess your'e still undergoing these experiences. Can you do me a small favor, just let me know whether these happen when your'e wide awake or in a semiconscious state. It will give me a more clear view of what your'e undergoing. If it is when your'e in a semiconscious state, is it always. Do reply. Take Care.
neu (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
I think you're right about the God part, because I instinctively try to say God even though I'm not normally religious...

I don't think I'll be able to get a medium over, though. 😕
Blondie95 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-15)
I think to overcome the spirits you have to understand them. If you know a median or someone like that get them to come over and just give you some of the spirits background... Or you can bless the house, or exosise it.
ldsgirl2k (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-14)
I got to church and I have learned a lot.

I used to have similar experiences when I was younger. Usually I am paralyzed, can't move, talk but can open my eyes and my mind works fine. I used to hear this pitiful wailing and moaning during this paralysis, and although it still happens from time to time I don't hear the voices anymore.

I understand that the presence in the room that paralysis you is not a good one. You are paralyzed so that you cannot call upon the name of God and command that it leaves you alone. The voices are, I believe, lost souls and as I think about it, maybe they are warning us.

That's my explanation and my understanding. Just remember one thing, we are more powerful than they are and they feed off our fear.

Much love. X

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: