You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: It Got Physical

Real Ghost Stories

It Got Physical

 

Before I begin there are a few things I would like to point out. The following experience I had encountered is one I believe that had something to do with my father, whom passed away June 3rd, 2008. His birthday was none other then today, January 13th. I find it peculiar that out of nowhere I got inspired to look up ghost stories (to find some similar to mine) not even an hour ago (it now being 12:55 am on Jan 13th).

Not long after my father had passed away I was home alone one afternoon preparing some eggs to be boiled. I turned the unit on high (because I'm terribly impatient) and dumped the eggs in the pan with the lid of the pan lying near by. My mom then gave me a call and being as easily distracted as I am, I wondered off into the living room sitting down to chat with her. As we all know, eggs are to be boiled on low for roughly 15 minutes with the lid on, this being something my father was anal about doing. After a good 20 or so minutes went by when I heard the water begin to boil heavily. I snapped out of my seat and ran to the kitchen to see that the lid, I was certain I had left off, was actually on. I shrugged it off and ran to shut off the heat. Though the eggs should have been more then well cooked, I came to discover they were actually perfect. The yokes weren't under or over cooked. This may be minor to anyone, but it creeped me out. Here comes the real kicker. I consider myself a skeptic so, when the above experienced happened I didn't think much of it at the time.

Not long after that, maybe a week or two, I was in bed way off in dream-land. Before my not-so-fun smack into reality I remember I was dreaming that I was in bed, laying down talking to a friend of my brothers who was walking around in my room. From my vision he approached me, asking me something relatively friendly. As he came towards me it appeared he was going to sit on the edge of my bed by my legs and reach towards my face as he did so. In that moment the dream shifted into reality. My eyes sprung open and there was no one there. Not even a second later a horrid pressure clung to my neck. Never in my life had I ever believed that a "ghost", something I had a hard time believing in to begin with, could be physical. I was being physically and intentionally choked. Natural reaction for anyone would be to move. When I tried too, I couldn't. I put all my thinking power into moving my big toe and not even that could happen. It was like I was under a spell where there was no part on my body that I could move but my eyeballs. I still remember how intense my brain burned to move my fingers. With all my vocal strength I tried to scream, but no sound came out. My thoughts then turned to my father and I tried to say his name but I couldn't, for goodness sake I was actually being choked and couldn't say anything. Finally I was able to get "dad" out of my voice, but very shallow like. As if whatever presence was there choking me had heard, it backed off. I felt my body relax back into my possession. I cried like the biggest baby would.

If I was to make a theory about what happened next I would almost say that by saying that I only made the evidently evil presence angrier because only a few seconds later the intense paralyzing pressure returned right back to where it was before. The same thing as before continued on and I was becoming frantic, actually wondering if I was going to die and no one was ever going to know how I died. I felt like my only chance was to call for help from my father, so again I tried to call out. It took a lot longer for my voice to get it out but I was able to get "dad, help me" to escape my lips. Moments later the choking discontinued and I had my body back. I probably cried for a good hour, maybe more.

I had a hard time coping with this, and I'm sure most people would pass this up as a far fetched story, but this a true, factual story and I stand by it 100%. In posting this story, I hope to find serious people who have experienced something similar, or people who may be able to tell me what had happened or point me in the direction of finding it out. Thank you for reading my experience.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dollface, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-17)
Nah, I am just a pit bull when trying to figure out answers 😉. I do not like to leave any kind of question in my OWN mind.
I tell you, the thought of sleep paralysis and hypnagogia is just as spooky to me as a full blown ghostly encounter. I can not help but wonder what causes such hallucinations (the hypnagogia), because SOME of them I have read would make for excellent movie plots. And just the thought of my NOT having control of my own movements...
<Shudder> I really do not like that idea.
And No. I am pretty positive nothing is trying to kill you. BUT I can see how easily that conclusion could have been made.
That is why I am glad that this community IS here, to help.
Thank you.
dollface (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
Oh my goodness, you are amazing. Thank you so very much, I'm hoping this is the case, and even if it weren't I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary since. This is actually quite relieving, I would most certainly agree that its a good chance it was just a sleep paralysis - which still sucked, at least its not a evil something or another trying to kill me 😁 ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-16)
Well, I should think then, dollface, (with the added information) that what you REALLY need to be looking up is Sleep Paralysis.
There are many on here who have had similar experiences, and could tell you a lot more from first hand accounts than I could. I merely have "Book Knowledge". There is one person, on here, that I would trust with offering you some factual information, and NOT glossing over it, or embellishing in the least, would be Hobbyholly.
As far as the research (and non-personal accounts on my part) "...Sleep paralysis is actually a fairly common condition characterized by either partial or total paralysis of muscles. It occurs upon awakening from sleep or falling asleep, although the latter is much less likely. The episodes generally last anywhere from seconds to minutes, and outside stimuli like touch or sound may terminate it." http://hubpages.com/hub/Sleep-Paralysis-Symptoms--Causes-and-Treatment What is MOST interesting about THIS "personal account" is that the female explaining out HER episode, clearly recalled WATCHING her Mother come home, and later her Brother coming in from school.
Wikipedia: "...the state may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger... This paralysis is the same paralysis that occurs when dreaming. The brain paralyzes the muscles to prevent possible injury during dreams, as some body parts may move during dreaming. If the person wakes up suddenly, the brain may still think that it is dreaming, and sustains the paralysis."
Http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-paralysis: "During these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking."
"Wakes up suddenly... A sense of choking...", directly related to the Sleep Paralysis episode. And THAT, from the medical community.
Http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9806
Http://www.medhelp.org/tags/show/15877/sleep-paralysis
Http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/spinal-cord-injury-types/sleep-paralysis.html
I just thought I would add a few sites to help out your search a bit.
Thank you.
musicgrrl104 (28 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
That is weird, and I think you need to ask for help, because if an evil spirit is physically hurting you, you need to do something right away.
dollface (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
To answer your question, yes I was lying in bed, face up. In the dream previous to awakening my brothers friend came toward me and it seemed to me that I did actually wake up. I would almost certainly place my bet that in that instance I was actually awake, my eyes fluttered and as if I was expecting my friends brother to be there, he wasn't nor was anyone else then it kicked in. I don't know whether maybe it was a weird physical paralysis kicked in after the fact of waking up or if maybe, by chance, something with a negative energy decided to attack me - that I hope not being the fact...

Thanks for the feedback... Any other ideas or suggestions or things too look into, throw them at me, I'm open to any possibilities.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
I have a few questions first, if you don't mind...
In the first instance that you are talking about, am I reading this right? You were laying in bed and talking to your brothers friend when you woke up.
Were you still laying down when you came back out of your sleep?
The second time seemed more intense.
It MAY be (and this is just a thought, mind you) that as you were sleeping the first time, the sensation was a bit less as to your state of mind (foggy from sleep, snapped back into reality...). The second time, you were still fully awake, and in that you were able to sense things IN "real time" without the interruption of the waking sensation (no matter HOW quickly you came out of sleep).
I would seriously look into astral and ethereal travel. The time span you describe, and the feelings seem to correlate with what others have described during these episodes.
I am NOT saying this was definitely the case (there are a few things "missing" from your description that are "text book" neon signs FOR such travel), but I would look into it. Also, when you get to the area's that "branch off" into similar physical issues (if you are using the Inter Net to search), emotions, etc. Check in on those too.
Sometimes we find our answers in the most unlikely spots.
Thank you.
Flakjacket (23 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
NSS, but your telling me after you astral project you can come back and feel like you have hands around your throat?
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
he first describes it as a horrid pressure to his neck. Being choked is exactly that, pressure applied to the neck, blocking the flow of air. Sure, it is possible that a neg spirit was involved. It is also wise to look at other explanations as well.
Flakjacket (23 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
That still dosent explain why he was being choked. In any case, it is possible you had a negative spirit attack you. By asking your father for help, and him helping you, it brought a positive energy to you, and most likely repeled your attacker.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
many times while we sleep, our spirit leaves the body, but is connected by a silver chord. If the body starts to awaken before the spirit can fully enter, we can experience physical stress on the body...pressure, paralysis, trouble breathing and speaking.
Just a thought. Do some searching on Astral projection/silver chord

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: