You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Abandoned Hospital

Real Ghost Stories

The Abandoned Hospital

 

This is my first of hopefully many submissions, if you have any questions please feel free to inquire. For legal purposes, I cannot disclose the exact location of my experiences as the penalties for trespassing in said location are quite severe. I have taken multiple people here and in my experience it is often scarier seeing red and blue police lights than it is to witness the paranormal. I have multiple photos of the location and will share some with anyone who is genuinely interested in the location and my experiences. As they are my personal work and livelihood (I sell my prints and artwork). I am not posting them with this because I don't need them ending up all over the internet. But as I said, if you are interested in anything written, ask me or email me at gorgeous.ghouls[a]gmail.com.

Over the course of my life I have acquired a wealth of information regarding the paranormal. Growing up in a 26 room 200+ year old Victorian home, my experience with the paranormal started at an early age and it has been an interest of mine since childhood. I am now an artist in multiple mediums and photography is a very large part of my life. Anyway, let me cut to the chase and get to the good stuff (if you're still reading this).

There are a series of abandoned mental health facilities near where I live upstate New York, I have snuck into, photographed and explored the majority of them with the exception of the more modern buildings that are sealed off with metal bars and chains. One building in particular still gives occasional nightmares to this day. The building is a three story is of brick construction that has fallen victim to time-lapse and mother nature. The floors are rotten, roofs partially collapsed, the building is more or less a death trap if you aren't careful, which brings me to the first of two stories I am sharing today.

My friend and I were headed up the road leading to the buildings one early evening in June of 2009 when we passed a group of college kids, a fairly common site considering there is a community college relatively close. We were a bit irritated by this and hoped there would be no one inside to disturb our photo shoot. We entered the building and all seemed quiet, so we began unpacking our equipment. After setting up our artificial lighting and snapping a few test photographs of our setting (It really is a beautiful building when you look at the colors of the flaking paint in high resolution photographs), we heard some muffled laughter and talking from somewhere else. We brushed it off as nothing and merely assumed that there were indeed some more college kids in the building who hopefully would not be disturbing us. A few minutes later we heard a loud crash followed by a girl screaming. I immediately assumed the worst and said "Oh F***, I think someone fell through the floor!" I have first aid training and have worked search and rescue before so after a quick assessment of the situation my friend and I set off into the building together. We kept waiting to hear the rest of the people and wondered why the hell no one was helping this girl who was crying out from somewhere within the building. The basement revealed nothing and the first floor was empty. We went throughout the second floor, occasionally shouting to the girl that we were going to help her and to stay calm. We kicked down a few old rotten wooden doors, pulled back old bed curtains, checked every nook and cranny and then came to a huge hole in the ceiling. We assumed it was the acoustics of the building that made the girl constantly seem like she was right around the corner from us and that the sound was traveling from the third floor down through the hole and echoing through the halls.

We got upstairs, and searched all the rooms until we came to one door that was closed. After trying to nudge it open, it appeared jammed and the girl sounded as if she was right behind it so remembering my training, I decided it was time to break the door down. I yelled through the door to the girl and told her to try her best to move away from the door if she was anywhere near it, because we were going to knock it down. Several kicks still would not open the door, so my friend and I decided to get a bit of a running start and ram it down together. The whole time my friend kept saying "This doesn't make sense" and I assumed he was as confused as I was about why the door just wouldn't break.

After getting our running start, I threw my weight into the door which to my surprise, broke out of the frame like a twig. Whatever instinct my friend had during these few short seconds, may very well have saved my life. As I hit the door, my friend yelled "WAIT!" and grabbed onto the collar of my shirt, just as he did this the door flew out several feet and fell, three stories, to the ground floor with a loud bang. I scrambled away from the ledge with my friend in a total state of shock. The only thing behind the door was the collapsed wing of the building. There was no girl, no more shouting, nothing besides the sound of my heart beating in my ears. I later learned that my friend was saying that it didn't make sense because he was thinking of the layout of the building and was certain that behind that door was exactly what existed - the collapsed part of the building. Had he not grabbed me I would have fallen, with the door, three stories to the pile of rubble from the collapsed floors beneath me. After listening and shouting a few more minutes, my friend and I left the building, quickly, having decided there were no people inside other than ourselves.

My second story involves the same building, I will make it as short as possible since by now you already have an idea of the building if you've read this far.

One afternoon around mid July, my friend and I were back in the building taking photos. It was daylight and considerably less frightening with so much sunlight coming through all of the broken windows. We were on the third floor when we head what sounded like someone slam a door or slam a desk onto the ground, followed by heavy footsteps and a considerable amount of noise. We immediately assumed it was the security guards trying to scare us out of hiding, so we snuck down to the second floor to try and figure out a way past them out of the building, which only has one entrance that is not blocked off. As we were about to turn a corner into a hallway, we heard footsteps coming from that direction so we turned into the nearest room and hid in a closet. The closet had only half of a broken door and about three feet of an angle you could not see just staring at the closet from the room. We pressed ourselves flat against the wall, and hid in the little angle hoping no one would stick their head in the closet and turn to see us. The footsteps grew closer and soon entered the room we were hiding in. They crossed the room, stopped, and soon we heard the metal bed frame creaking as if someone sat down on it. We stayed as still as possible for nearly thirty minutes when finally, we heard footsteps leave the room and head down the hallway and down the stairs. We quickly rushed to the room above the entrance to look out the window and see when the security guard left, but NO ONE ever left the building. We waited for two or three hours and as it started to get dark we decided to chance ourselves getting arrested and exit the building. We walked downstairs, took a quick look around and left the building the way we came in, once again completely confused and quite uneasy about the situation.

Anyway, these are my stories for now. I hope some of you enjoyed them. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I photograph many abandoned buildings and this one is by far one of the strangest I have been in. I have a few more stories to share and will most likely submit them soon if anyone is interested. Best wishes and safe travels to all of you, especially those of you like me who enjoy exploring the locations forgotten by time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mypoisonapple, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

tinkyme (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-21)
could you please post the pictures... Or send them to me (akanxaonlyme [at] gmail.com)
Pleaasssseeee
satansfinest (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-21)
you were in kkpc werent you? The same thing happened to us as well
Vonboeckmann (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-14)
Thankyou for a good story. It is refreshing to read and enjoy something with maturity. Even the comments are good no "negative/judgemental/putdowns". These old buildings certainly have soul. Images of some of these old facilities are timeless. Love to read more.J.
JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-31)
Pjod,

Fortunately There is no Briarcliff Asylum/Mental Institution in New York; however, there is a town in NY by the name of Briarcliff Village, and there is also a Briarcliff Manor. In Georgia and Massachusetts I believe there were mental institutions known as Briarcliff. A very popular show called "American Horror Story" (season 2) revolves around a mental institution named Briarcliff as well. Just wanted to be helpful:)
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-31)
Might I also add- considering the NY state area? Stay away from one "BriarCliff" (?) abandoned Mental Health Insti... Recently have heard some very disturbing reports out of that one. 😜
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-31)
you see, it just goes to show... If you don't have any busness being somewhere... Then don't go, because it might just save your life...
Pamela123 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-06)
Brilliant story telling, I was glued to this page. I have an abandoned hospital story that I would like to post in the near future, but the site has been down for quite a While.
goatkiddie (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-19)
Hey I love this story please do put pics on the net and please comment on this to tell me where I might find them
AshGrove (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-01)
I find your experiences very interesting, especially combined with an UrbEx aspect. For several years around the end of the 1990's I would revisit an abandoned brickworks near my home. Although I don't have any particular events to relate here as a story, the place was heavy with 'vibes' and in later years there was also a security aspect to circumvent... Plus the occasional crew of grafitti artists. Your first recollection - I am glad you came away unscathed. Sh*t happens... Especially in old derelict structures. The second experience - I wander if there is a squatter aspect to the place? Oviously you can judge that better than the reader. Thanks for posting your experiences for me to read.
SGT-SPOOKY (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-01)
I am also in upstate ny, and would love to maybe get some more info on this place. Sargewesser [at] yahoo.com The sarge is military not police!
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-31)
Very good story! I am looking forward to reading more and hope you post them soon.
justin102798 (9 stories) (96 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-30)
Can you send me those photos? You're definitely going to be on my favorite authors list! Thanks for sharing your story. Post more stories soon! 😁 😁 😁
shinobi_girl (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-30)
i like your stories... Especially the almost falling on the 3rd floor of the building. I would like to see some photos of the building. Don't worry, I will keep it as confidential as I believe you were saying above. 😊 cassyangel [a] live.com
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
Fabulous story! My heart was racing, just reading your account of almost falling through the door. Thank you for sharing your experiences, and please write more stories!

Best wishes,
Watersprite
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
Tarnation!

That almost third floor drop got to me. Now that is one crafty ghostie.
CJ (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Very excellent story to read and very well written. As I have always had the interest in exploring/investigating old abandoned buildings, I enjoyed your account of the mental hospital. I, unfortunately, haven't had the chance to take part in such activities, which I suppose could be a good thing considering I have a bad habit of not always completely thinking things through when I act. 😕 😆 But knowing the precautions is a good thing.

I'm very interested in knowing more about what you have to tell and seeing some of those photos if possible. You can contact me through my profile page! 😊

Thanks for sharing your story!
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Your story was well written and quite entertaining. I just wanted to note that you seemed quite concerned about the length or interest of your story. Don't worry about that! We love to read nice, long stories. If anything, we prefer to weed out the short one paragraph ones that don't give much description. Excellent story and don't worry about the length! Keep writing!
mypoisonapple (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Thank you for the positive feedback. I've emailed those of you who asked. DeviousAngel, in response to your comment, I do not condone trespassing or any unlawful acts for the sake of paranormal research. On that note, I'd like to add for any young parnormal investigators or really anyone interested, that most abandoned buildings are condemned for a reason - they are dangerous. Not because you're going to get attacked by ghosts and goblins, but because the building is old and has most likely seen better days. Even if the ground seems sturdy and the ceilings in tact, you still run the risk of falling over something in the dark or breathing deadly air polluted with asbestos. Unless you are well aware of the risks and consequences and are prepared to face jail time and hefty multi-thousand dollar fines for breaking into what is often state property, I do not recommend anyone attempt such feats for the sake of ghost hunting. Leave it for the guys on TV if you absolutely must see the inside of such buildings. I know there have been plenty of specials on Waverly Hills Sanatorium/Tuberculosis Ward in Kentucky and most are available on Youtube. Above all, stay safe. Don't let anyone pressure you into such things on a 'dare' or demonstration of bravado. The fact of the matter is that although these buildings may seem like a treasure chest waiting to be opened, the dangers are very real and consequences very severe, in the end it is often just not worth it.
LewisR (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Wow, by far one of the best stories I've heard. This very much interests me, especially the part about the girl shouting, and the door. I think you should be grateful that your friend saved you (i'm sure you are!). I give this a 5/5, very scary and interesting throughout. Please submit more stories.

Thank you.
Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
exciting stories! I would love to read more. It seems abandoned buildings tend to lend themselves to good stories
davidpvtmouse (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Great story please post more. I am excited to read them. If you want contact me via email at davidpvtmouse [at] hotmail.com
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience! You are very lucky your friend had such good instincts or else you could have been seriously hurt or killed. I can't necessarily condone sneaking into private property and getting caught could mean fines or jailtime for trespassing, as I'm sure you're aware. It also sets a bad example for younger people who are interested in the paranormal and want to do their own research... But I digress...

I think the noises and slams you heard were likely residual hauntings, possibly from patients that once were there. It's funny that it would be a mental hospital you chose, because I read a comment here recently which made mention that a lot of mental patients are likely people who can see paranormal things and are constantly terrorized by them. It's definitely not surprising to hear that the place is haunted.

I'm always interested in photos, so if you wouldn't mind, I'd love seeing them. My email addy is in my profile. Thanks!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: