You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Pub

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Pub

 

My local pub is supposed to be haunted by a previous landlady who fell down a staircase and died in the pub. Me and my mates are good friends with the current owners and tend to help out on the bar, doing odd shifts when needed.

I was opening up one morning. It was about ten in the morning and I was in the kitchen, which is behind the bar doing the washing up from the previous night and waiting for my friend to turn up to work. Just to add there is a staircase that runs alongside the kitchen which leads to the staff accommodation. I had not until this day experienced anything in the pub and thought the stories were rubbish and just the regular drunks being superstitious. I heard the front door bang open and swing shut and assumed my friend had showed up, as I had locked the door behind me and she had her own key. I shouted at her telling her I was in the kitchen and never got any response, so walked into the main bar area to see her. Obviously there was no one there, I checked the front door which was locked, as was the back, checked the car park which was empty, thought that was strange and headed back to do the washing up.

As I walked into the kitchen I glanced at the stairs, one of those corner of your eye moments, nothing there, and as I turned my back, I clearly heard someone run up the stairs. It was crystal clear. I could not bring myself to go upstairs and was about to carry on when I heard a door slam upstairs, that was it I ran. I waited outside until my friend arrived with her boyfriend who I persuaded to come check out the staff flat with me. We did a sweep of the flat and there was no one there. We decided to sit in the little kitchen and have a cup of tea while we were upstairs, as we sat there having a chat we heard a shuffling noise in the corridor outside and then a scratching noise at the door, like a cat or small animal wanting to come in the kitchen, on opening the door we saw nothing, and made a hasty retreat downstairs.

Nothing else happened that day; we opened the pub as normal. Some of the regulars came in for a pint, and I brought up the old landlady in conversation- I just want to state that we didn't tell them what had happened, as we knew we would get the piss taken out of us. One of the regulars, had know the old landlady in the 60's, he said she was a nice lady, always running around after the customers with her little Yorkshire terrier following her around. She tripped and fell down the stairs that are in the kitchen.

Loads has happened since, and the current landlord and lady have recently moved in to the staff accommodation and had some strange goings on but that is another story.

Other hauntings by nemo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nemo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AshGrove (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-01)
There seems an intriguing, possible connection with some of the noises you heard and the previous owner's terrier dog.

I can relate to the 'door-slams' which are actually closed and locked. I had that when I lived in rather squalid house of bedsits over an empty shop. For a while I was the only tenant in the house and my room was above the kitchen and the backdoor. I remember once it slammed shut - the noise would vibrate up through the floor. I could easily glance from my window to view the rear-step and was aware of any comings and goings. That was locked also. Very strange. A lot of weirdness surrounding that living space. Not sure how to structure it as a posted story yet.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-01-30)
Nemo: I want sooooooo bad to go to the U.K. And explore some of the haunted places there!...I actually want to buy a castle some where in Ireland, or Scotland... That trip is on my "things to do before I die" list! 😆...please keep the stories coming...
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
Nemo--Nothing like a good haunted pub story to get some of us Yanks wanting more! An excellent beginning, a most excellent start. You and your friends have your channels open to receive the phenomena; keep your best objective wits noting facts. Please post the next installment soon. Cheers. ~ James
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
Great story! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I guess the scratching was her little (dead) dog?

Best wishes,

Watersprite

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: