You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Bricklayers Arms Pub

Real Ghost Stories

Bricklayers Arms Pub

 

When I was about 7 or 8 myself, 2 brothers and my mother, moved into a Pub called 'Bricklayers arms'. My brothers shared a room and I had my own. There was a cellar down stairs and a guest room 2 doors down from my room. The guest room had a crib in there for some reason, and the cellar was rarely used.

When I was 8 my brother was cleaning my room (because I was going to make him a pizza for doing that) and about 5 minutes later he ran out of my room with a pale face and crying, I asked him why he was crying and he said that a book came off the shelf and slammed on the floor right in front of him. I didn't take much notice of his story. That night I had the light off and I was lying in bed and all of a sudden I heard a dragging of chains on the roof, or attic. It went on all night, I was terrified. I heard windows rattling when it was not windy, creaking like a body hanging off the ceiling, tapping on windows. I felt scared in and around the guest room and the bathroom, and felt depressed when near those rooms.

A few weeks later my mother's new boyfriend brought his daughter over and she slept in my room, she was into spiritual stuff and at the time I was too, and I still am. So as silly kids we both said "If there is anyone in the room, please give us a sign". The windows rattled and my snow globe smashed, we hid under the covers and that was the last thing that happened that night.

After my step dad collapsed and died in the house, we moved out. After we moved out my mother finally told me that someone had committed suicide in my room near the window where I had heard a body swinging.

I am now 40 years old and I can still hear noises in every house I live in.

Thanks Sam.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dicasamy1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dicasamy1 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-25)
Hi, Yes we were using it as a business but the cellar was old and we had another cellar in the back of the house. This was the bricklayers arms in Surrey 😊 Sorry I have no more information or history and it doesn't say anything about the history of the pub sadly 😢 My mother only found out about the person who committed suicide because she complained to the landlord, and they told her. It had a house at the top and the pub filled downstairs then below downstairs was the cellar, for thoes who were confused 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
dicasamy1 you say this was/is a pub. Yet it had 4 bedrooms upstairs.
I have know a few pub owners and most pubs are luck to have 3 bedrooms let alone 4, to be honest the only pub I knew to have 3 bedrooms used the living room as a bedroom.
So was this a working pub or a converted pub?
You also say the cellar was rarely used so I'm guessing this must have been a conversion, as the beer kegs always go into the cellar.
So can you tell us where this was?
Would love to look it up
Carl
UntilDark (1 stories) (24 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-13)
This is a very interesting story. Thanks for sharing it, I liked it! 😊
ParrotPig104 (guest)
-1
12 years ago (2011-11-12)
Oh my god, this story sent shivers down my spine especially the last bit! You seriously hear the exact same noises in every house you moved into? When your snow-globe smashed, was that in the cellar? Sorry I'm asking so many questions just very interested in this. 😁 Isn't it strange how entities, ghost (the paranormal) can be so complex, shadows, throwing objects, noises that follow you wherever you go! Creepy...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
Dicasamy1: I agree with Cosmo, I googled Bricklayers Arms Pub, and there's a lot of them in the UK 😆...Could you provide us with a link, or location?...Thanks!
pinkparrot6202 (41 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
this story is mad, I love love it can you tell us the history why the boy did suicide.

Thanks I love this so much 😆 😆 😆
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-10)
True, I have heard odd sounds in every house I have ever lived in. Growing up my parents fell on hard times and rented an old house with 12 rooms (including 6 bedrooms) and we used to hear odd creaks all over the house. Sometime when I know more about hauntings I will share it. Meanwhile, thanks for sharing your story, Diasamy1. It sounds like the pub was no longer in operation?
Jammydodgerman (2 stories) (13 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-10)
Am I right in assuming the pub is quite an old building?
Moving into a new house can be odd, due to the noises it makes, yet these noises are just part of the character of the house and are almost certainly nothing sinister. I think just moving into a new building had your senses on alert because you are not yet used to your surroundings- it's an old human instinct. I understand though at that age odd noises can be scary 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-10)
Dicasamy1, I'm sorry but I am little confused. Was Bricklayers arms a Pub that was turned into a place of residence, or did your family run the pub and you lived there as well? Also, how did you come to the conclusion that a creaking sound was a body hanging from a ceiling? If you have any history on the place that can help let us know what on there, please let us know. Thanks.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: