You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Dark Upstairs

Real Ghost Stories

The Dark Upstairs

 

I guess I'll start by saying I'm a skeptic. Even now after these experiences, as are both my brothers. All of this started about a year ago, and it's more prominent now than ever. It usually takes place after 12 a.m. And goes on until (from what I've heard) around 3:30 a.m.

It started about two years ago, a little after we moved into this 100 year old farmhouse with a rather sad history. The house sits on 10 acres and although has its share of problems, its still a beautiful home. Both of my brothers live in the upstairs and my mom and I take the downstairs rooms. Now I need to explain that the upstairs is designed a little strangely; the ceiling is very short and although it's rather big, most of the space up there is taken by enormous closets that share an outside wall. One of these closets sits above my room. About 2-3 nights a week I'll hear some banging noises or small creeks and quickly discredit them for being the pipes or the house settling. Now I stay up pretty late most nights, sometimes until around 3 am or so on the computer doing work, on these nights I have to wear headphones and listen to music because of all the noises I hear coming from upstairs. The loudest sounds are very strange - it almost sounds like someone is dragging something across the floor, I really can't tell what it is but it's a smooth sound, and I usually hear footsteps that follow it - another really strange noise is when I hear some of the unpacked boxes up there being pushed around. I can hear the box literally sliding across the floorboards just above my room; coming from the closet. Sometimes it's a loud bang or the sound of things dropping onto the floor. I also hear footsteps on the creaky floorboards. Sometimes the sounds are so loud that our dog barks and he rarely barks at all.

After a while we started hearing more noises around the house; for instance being woken up in the middle of the night to a very loud slamming door upstairs. Or the night my brothers, my cousin and myself were all sitting around the table in our dimly lit den and we all heard a very quiet but audible laugh that sounded like a little girl. I started having some really strange dreams about the upstairs - almost incomprehensible, however it's always about or around the closet above my room. One of the dreams was where my cat was hissing at the closet whose door was open a slit. He hissed and I assured him it was ok, until I heard noises coming out of the closet and quickly ran to it and pressed my weight against it. The door was being pounded on from the other side and I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it much longer so I screamed for my brothers to help me, but when nobody showed up the door burst open and my cat sat in front of me, hissing at the darkness of the closet. Then I felt relieved somehow, like whatever it was was gone. Shortly after I had this dream, we found our cat dying in that room - when we rushed him to the vet it was too late, he died on the way and the vet couldn't tell us what was wrong with him...

I'm really beginning to hate this house, and I'm really worried ever since that happened.

We continue to hear these strange noises now, and I honestly have no idea what it could be. I'm still not sure its ghosts but I am really starting to wonder.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Elisis, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

vanlewie232711 (1 stories) (42 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
😢 the death of a pet is the same as loosing a loved one. I would go to your local library and try looking up the house and then try to find local records of that address like previous owners and such. If you had a round about date of the girls disapperance you might micro-fish the newspaper's about the girl and the surrounding area... Maybe she found her way home after all. And maybe dear old dad is still waiting for her? But most of all pray to god that he take them from your home and its ok to say this is my house now please go to the light you'r loved ones are there waiting for you you can't stay here anymore. Just do not say it like your angry she is there. Some how I just feel its a female and a male there and they are tied to the house and to the property in some ways. But please look up Rooks cleansing seems to me that it will work for you all there. Great luck and GOD bless
Mika (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-08)
If the source of all the strange noises are the closet, then perhaps you should either try to get someone to help you cleanse it or help you destroy it... By the way, I'm sorry to hear about your cat, but I think you should take it as a sign that there's something very, very wrong with the closet.

The best would probably be to cleanse the house, especially the closet and the room it's in, and then destroy it or somehow change it. I guess you could try placing a crucifix in there too, but I honestly believe that getting the closet out of the house would make a big difference.

Good luck getting rid of whatever it is that hides the closet 😊
sawwheeler (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
sound a little like my house except my house has more than noises it has footsteps voices shadows lights turning on and off feeling like your being followed and watched and more
jennifer314 (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
This is a great story and great advice. I hope you can keep us posted with findings you might have. Sorry to hear about your cat. Hopefully nothing ghostly did any harm but with no sign of why the cat died I guess it's a mystery. Good luck with everything and keep us posted.
winwin (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-08)
That's was a 100 years old house, Before you move in they already staying the house. Because the spirits got no where to go... If your house got prayer maybe can help, look for some one got the power to help you if you still want to staying that house. Because you can't see them and they can see you. Because I got experienced when I was young the spirits always come to me and try to killing me. Lucky my mum she is special she can see the spirits daya and nite, so she know what the spirits doing next. My mum try to fine the powerfull person to get off the spirits But the spirits is powerfull too. 😲
AbhishekTheBeliever (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-08)
I am really sorry to hear about your cat. I think your cat was alerting you of the presence which was upstairs. 😊
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-08)
I am so sorry to hear about your cat! That's just awful. I do have to say, this is some of the best advice I have read in a long time on Your Ghost Stories! AshGrove's ideas are so interesting and the advice from Robertar and others for this particular story are wonderful, excellent suggestions. It's refreshing not to have everyone just saying, "It's a DEMON! RUN!" 😆 Okay, okay, please don't anyone get mad at me, but NOT EVERY SINGLE GHOST IS A DEMON! It sounds like you have a residual energy (non-conscious) as far as the banging and shuffling/moving noises. That's why I think AshGrove's ideas are so helpful. You ought to try doing some of this reclaiming (with a friend helping you out, of course!). Best wishes and God bless.

~ Watersprite ❤
StMikal (4 stories) (37 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-08)
so sorry about your cat. To be honest, I can't believe you are still a skeptic. It sounds like whatever is upstairs got to your cat which is not a good sign. Animals can definitely sense this stuff better than we can. You are very brave to just put your headphones on and try to ignnore the sounds. The way you are describing it, I think you might have poltergeists in your house. I think you should be careful. Find out the history on that place and try to get rid of what's there because it could get worse. Keep us posted. Take care
Elisis (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-08)
First of all, thank you everyone for your kind replies it really makes me feel better with all the advice given.❤

We're going to try and set up our camera with nightvision and let it run through the night in the closet up there. About setting up the boxes in predefined positions I have set up the boxes in the corner of the closet and placed a line of blue painter's tape on the floor in front of them, but I haven't been hearing the noises since I posted and the boxes haven't moved. In my story I said "unpacked" boxes - I meant to say packed as all of the boxes up there in the closet are still full and unopened from when we moved in (and they are quite heavy) it would take a bit of effort to even slide them. If I see the boxes move I'll let you guys know. As for who has been hearing it, it's not just me, my mother hears it and we talk about it usually the day after if it was a particularly bad night where we'd be awakened by all the racket. My mom usually turns her t.v. On to block the sounds sometimes in order to fall back to sleep. Both of my brothers have said they hear it, but it doesn't bother them they just say "whatever it is, we can't do much about it anyway, there's no sense in being scared of it" which they are right in a way, but I'm still morbidly curious to know what it is. Sometimes I want to grab a flashlight and go check it out, but once I start hearing the noises I just can't - its way too scary. I maybe would go up there if somebody went with me but there's no way I would go alone.


I don't know a lot about the history except for what the neighbors have told us. One of our neighbors lived next door to the previous residents for over 40 years and since this is a small a tight nit community, they seemed to know a whole lot about what happened here. We've heard from our neighbors that the last people who lived here were actually divorced and living together, the husband took the upstairs and the wife took the downstairs.
Apparently what happened was they had two daughters that were adopted, and the woman became pregnant with a third, but she miscarried it. About 25 years ago, the younger daughter who was 15 years old, was on her way home from school (I assumed she walked home because we live really close to a middle school) and never came home. Somewhere between the school and their house she disappeared. The other daughter went off to college soon after that, and the mother and father were forced to sell their business because they owed a lot of money to the bank. They were forced to sell most of the land save for the 10 acres the house is on now, it used to be on over 200 acres. After that the husband began cheating on the wife and gambling away whatever money they had left. They got divorced but he still lived upstairs (like I said before). About 10 years ago he didn't come downstairs for a while, so the wife went up there to check on him and she found him lying face down on the ground (I don't know where exactly) they found later that he died of a heart attack. We were also told that the people who lived here before them died of a murder/suicide, despite having a baby girl in the house at the time. I'm not sure if this is true or not as I am going by word of mouth, I can't seem to find many records about it. That's all I know about the history, it's nothing truly scary it's more sad than anything.
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-07)
Elisis, I have to wonder what your brothers and mother have said about these disturbances. Have they noticed them as well or is it just you that hears them? I'm asking, because I experienced something similar as a child. Noises in my closet, and tapping on the walls. Years later, (after extensive research in the paranormal) I have come to the conclusion that just MAYBE it was ME haunting MYSELF! Ok, what I mean by that, is I was going through a very rough time in my life. I won't go in to it, because it was very personal, (but let's just say I was extremely troubled at the time) and I believe that BECAUSE OF THIS, I was projecting psychokenetic energy in to the atmosphere causing poltergeist activity to happen around me. It scared the HELL out of me, believe me! 😨 But fortunately, we soon moved out of that particular house where it was happening, and the disturbances stopped. Now I still don't know if the house ITSELF was haunted, or if it was ME that was haunted. I just know that the things you have described here, happened to me as well. The sound of boxes being dragged across a closet floor, and things that go bump in the night. I too, had a cat that would sense that something was "just not right" and she actually ended up running away! Anyway, I think the best thing to do, would be to discuss all this with your family, do some investigating in to the history of the house, PRAY (first & foremost!) and get some WITNESSES to these noises! Not just yourself! See if your brothers and mother can hear them as well. It definitely sounds like either poltergeist activity (Which can be caused by YOU! Believe it or not!) Look it up-it's been documented in numerous cases. OR... Perhaps it's a residual haunting. A "replay" of events like a tape recorder. (Since it always seems to happen at the same time at night) in which case, this will not hurt you at all. In fact, the "ghosts" don't even realize you're there! Look up residual hauntings as well, and compare them to what's going on in your home. And last but not least, (skeptic or not) keep an open mind that there are sometimes things in this world that we just don't understand. But as long as we have an understanding family around to help us through it, we don't have to be afraid. Talk to your mom about it. 😉 Today. ❤ Good luck to you, and feel free to message me any time. I have been in your shoes and I completely understand how terrifying it can be. -Nikki
jbh1980 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-06)
If you need help, I am a member of a well known paranormal research team. We are based in North Georgia. We can determine what is going on in your house. For right now try not to show your fear. It will feed off of that. Hope to hear from you soon. God Bless
robertbjgvch190 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-06)
Terrifying. You sound braver then me after that door slamming in the middle of the night I would have been gone. Keep us posted
moonshadow (3 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-06)
Hi elisis.
Wow great story I don't know how you could be skeptical with all that spookey stuff going on in your house I definitley don't think it's just the house settleing down at night and iam one for allways looking for logical explanations first when ever I have a paranormal experiance. Well from what you are telling in your story it does look like something is there, Sorry to hear about the passing of your cat by the way. This is very strange whatever is in your house seems to be fairley powerful if it can mess with your dreams and then your cat dies I think you should get the help of a good psychic and as I allways say allways check who you are getting there's a lot of frauds out there you should check the history of the house as well if you don't allready know it, Iam not trying to scare you by the way but do get some help you say it's a beautiful house and it can be again no spirits have the right to take over what we own and we have the right to let them know this God is very powerful over all this too and you should pray to him for guideance or talk to him in your own way I hope all goes well for you and your familey and that you can bring peace back to your house good luck keep me posted and may the light of the great spirit shine upon you and your familey...
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-06)
Elisis,

Thank you for submitting your story. I think maybe a good starting point would be to know more about the history of the house. All you have said is it has a sad history, but is still beautiful. I get a very vague vision but would like to know, if you don't mind, the history of the house. What happened in it, etc.

Thank you
Surya
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-06)
any chance of asking God to help? If you are going to talk to ghosts, might as well be a Holy One who wants to help.

Sorry about your cat. Please be careful. Spireits do mess with people in their dreams, I think it's easier for them.
AshGrove (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-05)
I think the previous three comments are sound. By the way I'm sorry for your loss of your cat. That's sad to read. You want to rationalise the experiences. You are unsure whether to regard what has occured as 'a ghost' - wondering whether that is a useful way of recognising/coping.

I think it may be useful to think of the problem as analogous to terrorism. In a sense, you are being terrorised (by your own understandable fears which come from an inability to understand the what/when/why of the causation of these disturbances). The upstairs space is territory which has been claimed by the 'terror', you have retreated from it. Reclaim it! Take your dog up there. See what happens. Shift and stack the boxes. See what happens. Reclaim and use the space. Occupy it. Desensitize, collapse the fear anchored by repitition of experience. Put a big smiley-face poster on the wall. Get a battery powered radio and leave it switched on up there, playing beautiful classical music. Anything to reclaim the space (in your own mind) all these things are to exorcise you - your fear prison. The room is just a room. The cupboard in the dream contained your own primal fear. I don't assume to know what causes the noises but - they are just noises. The fear component is what can become reinforced and that would be more debilitating. It becomes tangible. Once you fully recognise that only paranoia can harm you - you will win. Best wishes
Akemi (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-05)
get a paranormal investigator. You had a dream that your cat was hissing in a room and then shortly he is dying in that very room. I think something is trying to warn you about something. Don't speak to it. It may cause more problems. Good luck
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-05)
I agree with granny, I know this is easy to say but don't be afraid, our fear can create all sorts of problems (some real, some not) and if something was trying to scare you, your fear is the only real power they have over you anyway... Its good to be skeptical, but I think your sleeping with the light on right? I think its best to ignore it keep your mind away from it and keep being skeptical, thank you for sharing your story.
frmSTP (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-05)
Thank you for sharing. Thats truly scary. I hope you figure out what it is in the closet or find history on the house itself. Please keep us posted.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-02-05)
okay, first of all, I think I've mentioned this before, there's more to fear from the living than the dead!...I think there is something paranormal going on... I don't think it's trying to scare you... Why not try recording in the closet, or video taping during the times when there is a lot of activity?...This could confirm or refute the paranormal... Being a skeptic is a good thing in these instances... Whatever you do, don't be afraid...

I'm interesting in hearing more about your cat, as my daughter has lost two of her's recently to mysterious circumstances... Keep us posted 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: