You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghostly Touches In The Dark Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghostly Touches In The Dark Room

 

This is something that happened to both me and my sister. I am sharing this with my sister's expressed permission.

If you have read my already published experience; The Dog man on the porch, then you would know that the house I lived in from age four to later parts of nine was haunted. This incident took place in that house.

Our house was a single floor brick construction from the early twentieth century. The layout of the house was a mixture of bus topology found in old colonial houses, and the long corridors and balconies found in Bengali houses. There were three bedrooms. One for my parents and one for me and my sister. They were both adjacent to a long balcony that overlooked the north side of the perimeter of the house. Our parents bedroom and ours also had a door as a direct link between the rooms. On the other end of the long balcony, lied the door to our kitchen, the door to our dining and living room (the two didn't have a door between them), and the door to our store room.

The incident in question happened in this storage room. It was a long time ago, but I'd say the room was twelve feet long and seven feet wide, with two feet wooden shelves coming out from both sides of it's length. This room has a tragic history to it (I know from older kids who had heard it from the old people in our campus).

As people who have read the previous incident that took place in this house would know, our house was used as a dumping ground for dead bodies by the Pakistani military in the genocide of 1971. Well, our storage room in particular was used to dump the bodies of the women the Pakistani military violated.

They had, as hearsay goes, found four bodies in our storage room. I will not go into the state of the corpse upon discovery, but let's just say they were vandalized in a way that it'd be very inappropriate for the younger audience to hear of it.

My sister, fifteen at the time, was home in a vacation. It was the late Autumn (Hemonto season, for my Bengali readers. October-November for my non-Bengali ones) months and we had decided to make a kite to fly it in the nearby field. All the instruments for this was in the storage room.

At that moment, the storage room was being used to hang my father's coats, by a wire. Cold was starting to settle down, and he'd have to start wearing them shortly.

It was afternoon nearing evening. Both of us were reluctant to go in alone; it was dark in there, so we went in together. The storage room had no other window, or any electric lighting and the light from the door was obstructed by the coats. On top of that, coats are not exactly transparent. My father's coats were long, as he is a tall man. It'd be fair to say that, we were quite blind in there.

My sister was telling me about her plan of which spot to fly our kite from when the little light we had from the door disappeared. We tried to get to the door, but I stepped on a coat and tripped, my sister falling right with me.

My sister, however, got up and proceeded to bang on the door, calling for our parents. She had thought that perhaps our mother had unknowingly locked us in. Nobody answered. I would come to know later on that they were out on their evening stroll.

A few minutes passed by before I felt a touch on my back. I know, I was surrounded by coats and they were touching me anyway, but this felt deliberate. I shook in place, thinking it's a bug. It moved away. Not three seconds passed before my sister slapped her leg, looking confused.

Then I felt the touch again. It was on my arm this time. I actually swatted on my arm but it didn't go away. My sister also jumped, grabbing her behind this time.

One after another, more touches joined in. They began to feel like hands, but no warmer than the surrounding. They weren't violent or forceful, although I believe I felt nails in some touches. All they did was touch and caress all over the body. Their demeanor was much like what old people do when they find young children. But at the time and in that situation, it was quite overwhelming. I could also note a heavy breathing sound, but since both me and my sister were in a small closed space, very much panicking, it's not really something that could pass to be of paranormal origins.

I do not remember much of what happened to my sister, but I believe I did hear her whimpering. Or it might've been me. I'm running on some old memories here.

This went on for a long time. It was after sunset that my parents came back home. Then they waited for us, thinking we're both outside. We had been there for almost three hours before our mother finally opened the door to the storage room. This encounter had gone on for the entire time we were in there, and stopped as soon as she opened the door. I was told later that when she opened the door, I was just sitting there like I'm laying an egg and staring at her. My sister had passed out and my father went in to carry her outside.

After she woke up, we narrated our experience to our parents. They listened to us, but told us that it was because the both of us were just scared in the situation and the touches were the clothes. It wasn't as if either one of us had anything to show for our encounter.

My sister stayed for that vacation but refused to come back to that house after she got back to the cadet college. She'd rather live in a dorm alone than come back to that place.

It is also worth noting that during that time, my sister was being bullied severely by her seniors in the cadet college. Bullying by seniors, or otherwise known as "Ragging", is already a big problem in cadet colleges and residential schools in general. But my sister's seniors went a step further with their bullying. It had went on until the month prior to this incident, when they pushed my sister onto a cactus. She spent a week in the infirmary after that. Two of the seniors who took part in doing this were suspended.

Now for the disclaimers:

My parents might be correct. It was dark and stuffed with coats. Coats had a lot of dust. It was enough to asphyxiate two kids. The touches could just be the coats, the nails that I felt either false memory or just the coat buttons. I was wearing a thin tank top with a three quarter pant, while my sister wore a loose t-shirt above pajamas. So we weren't heavily clothed. The breathing would simply be my sister. This does not explain how the door closed itself, though. It had a bolt on the other side. Perhaps it was a gust of wind that slammed the door and the bolt locked itself out of inertia?

For a long time, I was very much bothered by this incident and shuddered to think of it. But slowly the emotions attached to the experience faded away. Now it's just another inexplicable memory clunking in my head. My sister is still bothered by it, but she gave me the permission to share it, and I applaud her strength for doing so. And yes, I did compare notes with her, and what we experienced was almost absolutely the same, save for her passing out.

So, what do you think? Were my parents correct? Was it a residual haunting? Was it something foreign?

Other hauntings by FarEndofSpectrum

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FarEndofSpectrum, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-07)
TravisCannabis,

*Saw. Extremely sorry for the typo. And I cannot think of any reason that the fetus would be foolish enough to want to be born. Especially as a human.
TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-06)
Yikes, no way man, that's friggin creepy!...when I say a small bloody fetus creature crawling across the floor. 😨
That poor fetus really wanted to be born. 😭 😭
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-06)
LightMight,

Not really, no. As a Muslim child, I've been watching Kurbani (animal sacrifice, usually a cow) since a very early age. Gore doesn't quite bother me anymore. Same is true for most of Bengali Muslims/Exmuslims. While they are shocking, they're not traumatic.

And thank you. I believe a well written experience was in the guidelines. So I try my best 🙂
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-05)
FarEndofSpectrum,

The experiences you and your sister endured as children sound terrifying; you have to be pretty tough and fairly mature to handle something like that at such a young age... It's apparent that the negative energies or spirits, had no respect for human life during their lives and in the afterlife...
By the way, your story was well written and intriguing - good job!
LightMight
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-05)
LightMight,

I am glad as well. This was my most disturbing, but I have witnessed some other truly shaking things in that house even then. There was one moment, right before moving away, when I say a small bloody fetus creature crawling across the floor. And many many other smaller things. Whatever had been there, didn't really care much that I was a child.
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-05)
Lealeigh

I apologise for the miscommunication. English is very much not my mother tongue, and I mixed up the tone. I thank you for your empathy. It had been harder to deal with than any other thing of paranormal variety I've witnessed. Thank you for your support.
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-01)
FarEndofSpectrum,

Yes, I see what you mean now, it could be that negative energy left over from all the violence that occured around that property, was still having an impact on the living. My initial thoughts about your story was that maybe it was the women (who were violated and dumped in the storage room) who were trying to calm and soothe you and your sister while you were stuck in there? But then you to have wonder, why didn't they help break you out of there? Was some other negative spirit stopping them?
Whatever the case may be, I'm glad that you and your family no longer have to live there.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-01)
FarEndofSpectrum,

I think that you misunderstood me. I believe that almost all the things that you felt were utterly paranormal. Since I do believe in the paranormal, I don't think that there could be a better place to experience anything than your childhood home - from the history that you have put forth to us.

Your sister breathing heavily did not help the situation.

I neglected to tell you before; but your story was very emotionally evocative for me for more reasons than the paranormal. Thank you.

- Maria
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-01)
LightMight

Many of Bangladesh's old houses have such history.

My parents had once gotten an imam to put a blessing on the house but it didn't work.

I entertain the idea that perhaps there was something there that fed on residual negative emotions from olden times.
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-01)
Lealeigh,

Yes, as I pointed out, it can be something very much not paranormal. But my sister experienced it with me as well. And combining with everything else that happened in that house, I tend to believe it might be of paranormal origins.
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-09-29)
Hi FarEndofSpectrum,

It sounds like the property definitely has some dark history. Has anyone ever performed, or considered a spiritual cleansing of the property, and a house blessing? Your parents would definitely have to agree with any type of cleansing/blessing being done.

I like what lealeigh pointed out... Commonly a 'residual haunting' doesn't interact with, or touch the people witnessing the sighting - it just plays out (repeats) a situation that may have imprinted from a past happening. In other words, the basic idea is that there's no intelligence, or intentions behind it...

Take Care, LightMight
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-09-29)
Hello FarEndofSpectrum,

I think you experienced something strange. I would have said that the touching feelings could have been blood pressure becoming erratic as a response to fear; but, if I am reading correctly, you were not afraid until after the touching started.

Parents say things like that because it is right for them not to have their children living in a state of fear; even when they might be experiencing strange things themselves.

I do think you were hearing your sister breathe though.

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: