You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost In A Manhattan Grocery Store

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost In A Manhattan Grocery Store

 

My experience happened around 1990 or 1991 in New York City.

I attended an all-day Saturday spiritual/theater/dance/workshop. Through out the day we did many types of activities and exercises, most of which included meditation, movement, voice and acting exercises.

When I left the workshop, I was definitely in an altered state of consciousness: feeling very light and like I was walking on clouds. It was around 4:30 pm or so and I decided to stop, on my way home, at the (what was then) the Red Apple Market on 13th ST. And 7th Avenue, to get something to eat or to buy something to take home. It was a very small grocery store and very quiet at this particular time. I took a cart and noticed the two cashiers in the front, and then began slowly roaming the 1st aisle. I was about halfway down the aisle and was staring at the mayonnaise contemplating making some tuna salad, when all of a sudden there was a very loud exhale of breath right in my right ear. I could hear and feel the breath. It was chilling to say the least. I immediately turned my head quickly around and saw a man standing about three feet away from me. He was very scraggly looking, about 75 years old with long salt and pepper hair, with very piercing blue eyes and heavy eyebrows. He just kept staring at me and didn't say anything. He seemed angry and seemed as if he was looking through me. I thought he was some crazy homeless guy that must have wandered in from the street and was just trying to scare me (a common occurrence when one lives in Manhattan). He was successful at that, yet I immediately told him firmly (something I won't repeat here) to get away from me and leave me alone.

I quickly took my cart around the corner to the next aisle but then decided I should tell the manager in the front what had happened, so he wouldn't bother anyone else. I went directly to the front of the store and repeated my story and asked if they could tell the man to leave the store. The manager and the cashier both looked at each other then looked at me like I was the crazy one and said. "I'm sorry but you are the only person in the store and have been since you walked in." I said "No, no you must have missed him. He was right here in that 1st aisle." They both just stared at me. The truth is they were at the very front of the store. The store had turnstiles and I think they probably would have seen someone else come in, but at the time I left thinking they must have missed the guy.

It has stayed with me ever since and it wasn't until many years later that I realized the man had to have been a full body apparition, made possible by my altered state. I believe I was only able to see him, at that moment, because of it. It is the only explanation for what happened that day at the Red Apple.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Valeria555, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

BinghamtonParanormal (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-12)
Hello,

I have read your story and have become very interested. Would you be interested in having my team from upstate (Binghamton) New York conduct an official investigation to see if we cannot prove or disprove the claims of your paranormal experience.
Visit our website at binghamtonparanormal.com

E-mail us at binghamtonareaparanormalsociety [at] yahoo.com

Thank You and Good Luck!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Valeria:
No worries about the confusion of my user name.

Given your past experiences I think you have some sort of gift. I too can sometimes smell my grandfather's cologne (he has passed many years ago). I take it as a little visit from him
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-25)
Interesting story, I agree that from your altered state of consciousness, you were able to see this person. Have you ever experienced this again?...thank you for sharing your story.
Aussie
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Hi, I feel same way when people not seen anybody but you I know what mean by that and also Hobbyholly Yes I get that way about Hobbylobby I been there yesterday Valeria555 I love to go to hobbylobby too. To Hobbyholly sorry too. I seen things wherever I go and no ones seen anything along with me around.
Valeria555 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
My apologies hobbyholly re: your name. I must have been thinking about art supplies!
Valeria555 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
to hobbylobby: Thanks for your reply. As I said, for years I kept telling my self it was a crazy bum, but it never really made sense.

I did once see an apparition in my Pennsylvania boarding school. It was a mist-like figure sitting in a pine tree, outside my bathroom window. It was a very clear night otherwise. It was my first encounter. I do recall seeing a woman come up out of the subway station once who I really thought was a ghost. She did not seem normal. She gave me the same empty look that goes right through your body. It's something I can't really explain in words.

I have felt presences in my bedroom, but I am sure they were all benevolent beings like angels and relatives. They sit on my bed beside me. Sometimes they brush my hair near my forehead. I have also smelled strong nice fragrances like frankinscense and flowers in my room.

😊
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Interesting account.

Logic says "bum". But I don't think it was. Have you had any other encounters (not with this particular man but in general)?
MsAngelsndemons (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
Hi I read your story, and that old man kind of freaked me out. But If an old man ever looked at me like I would defintely punch him in the face. Unless ofcourse if it's a ghost, it'll go right through. 🤔 😜

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: