You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Is My 3 Year Old Seeing Ghosts?

Real Ghost Stories

Is My 3 Year Old Seeing Ghosts?

 

About a month ago, my son who is three years old woke up screaming in the middle of the night, shaking out of control, crying. I went in his room and he was still going crazy as I was holding him, pointing all over his room, like what he was seeing was moving around.

Just 3 days ago he was at his father's house, and his father called me telling me it just took him about 30mins to calm him down, that it had happened again. Tonight the same thing, he pointed to his closet, the floor, out into the hall, holding onto me like someone was after him, just hysterical. I brought him downstairs. He continued to point to the cupboards in the kitchen, my stairs end at a wall, he wouldn't walk down the stairs, he kept screaming pointing at the wall at the bottom of the stairs. I had to carry him down; this went on for a good 45mins... I took him in my room and lay with him on the bed and he fell asleep and has not woken back up.

My family like my grandmother and Aunt have a history of communicating with spirits. Is it possible that my son is seeing something that is really there that I'm not seeing?

Please help! It kind of scares me to be honest, and I'm so scared for him. There was almost nothing I could do to calm him down. I asked him what he saw but he wouldn't answer me, just kept shrugging his shoulders.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, motherof2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-04)
guest4208 - Posting your experience in the comments section of another member's story takes away from their experience and directs it toward yours. We do encourage you to submit your experiences as your own story, not on someone else's. 😊
guest4208 (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-04)
same here.
My 2 year old daughter has been waking up crying and yelling mommy/daddy.the other night I heard her crying, so I made my way to her room. When I turned the corner in the hall way, I could see her sitting on the edge of her bed and she was pointing at the wall. And she had not seen me yet. So I feel like it had to be something. As I entered her room to comfort her I got goose bumps and cold chills. This has happened a few times now. So I asked her if something was coming into her room and scaring her. She said yes. I asked what? She was too scared to say. The look of fear in her eyes was alarming. Just last night it happened, she was yelling for daddy, so I rushed up stairs. She was pointing over by her window and her tv and xbox was off. She can't reach either one to turn off. I had enough!
I said out loud. Baby I love you and I am your daddy I am here to save you. If there is something coming in your room at night to scare you, you can tell daddy I want to help you. I said what is it baby. She said, a monster daddy. I said, like a ghost? She says yes. I said does it play with you. She says no. I said is it mean to you? She says yes it bites daddy.now,she is only 2 but she says a lot, you can actually sit down and talk and she understands and speaks very well for her age.
This morning I confronted mommy, and told her what's been going on and to see if she has experienced anything. She said yes there's been some weird things once in a while.
So we both sat down with our daughter and told her that we want to help her so she is not scared any more. We begin asking her questions.
We get to well... Is it a boy/girl/man/women.she says no to all.
Ok well... How does it come in your room. She grabs my hand and says come here. I said you want to go to your room and show us? Yes daddy
We go to her room and says it comes through her window.
We are like then what? Does it play?.no.does it sit on your bed?yes.
I am going to set up a camera tonight to see if by chance there might be something manifesting or not.
Now I have had my own experiences in my life time, I seen a little girl standing in my bedroom door way when I was 25. She woke me up out of a dead sleep, and let's just say I am not a light sleeper. A train can go through my house and I am not waking up. She wanted me to see her. It was very peaceful. I stood in the doorway after she dissolved away, because the ora and light was still there where she stood. Young girl in a white night gown. Never saw her again.
I have a gift of being able to walk into a house and tell if something not living is present. So saying that I know I feel something is in this apartment its made me aware of it more than once. I just don't want it bothering my kids.
ally131 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-05)
Hi WolfAffinity77,
Have you tried a
Night light for your daughter?
Because if she only sees those things in the dark then the light might work Good Luck getting rid of those creatures 😉
firephoenix (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-20)
According to bestfriend who is a psychic normally childrens who are under 6 years old have a high chance to see supernatural things like ghosts...
Even demons

Fire Phoenix
EVPxHUNTERSx10 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-31)
This is a very interesting story I like it a lot I would like to come there and investgate if you ould let me I would like to see if I could communicate and see what is going on. If you want to know more msg me back or visit our website and msg back. Thanks Justin
Georgeisalegend (35 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-13)
Yes! Little kids can see ghost and such other stuff! What your son is seeing is probably a ghost that is probably teasing him.
iamhere2help (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-12)
recite: LA ILLAHA IL LILLAH MUHUMMADUR RASSULILAH.

Read it with your child and let your child learn it. It works wonders!
WolfAffinity77 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-04)
AH HA! I got the website I mentioned in my previous post it is: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Sleep-Disorders/seeing-things-at-night--spiders-and-insects-and-people-oh-my-/show/542566

There is quite a bit of info there too on the seeing of spiders
WolfAffinity77 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-04)
I am SO glad I found this post (along with another one which I'd post but oddly it's lost the address).

My daughter just did the same thing about a week ago now & tonight she said there were these little tiny creatures that were biting her when the light was off. I don't know what to do as I don't want to encourage her if it's imagination but with the experiences I have had here & there of "otherworldly" things or "abnormal" I don't want to diminish what might be a gift & cause her to shut that side off. I think I did & that it (among other things) left me feeling like I am not myself.

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of help here. I just worry as this other site there were people that have been having these type of things happen since age 3 to 5 & they are now 30 or 40+ years old. We talk of the Great Spirit & his protection but that doesn't seem to help. I even tried "mommy magic" but she said they were still there - after 2 hours I had her do it with me in her room & then told her like any medicine it takes a little while to work fully so she finally drifted off to sleep.

I don't like the idea of kids being terrified but if it's a gift from the Creator to see things that other's of us can't see then how can we make them feel safe & let them grow up not terrified so they can choose later how to use that gift.

Tonight though it was these tiny little "creatures" that weren't fairies & that were coming up & biting her or trying to though she wasn't trying to stop them. She said she can't see them with the light on so it make me wonder if it's just shadows or something with her eyes. Egads - maybe it's a single mother thing? I have seen people lay blame on neurological problems, REM sleep problems, paranormal, stress... All kinds of things but no one has a way to help them.: (
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-01)
I also had a bottle of Febreeze type stuff that I made a new label for that said "MONSTER REPELLENT" I did bless it & every night after I would pray for my daughter I would spray it where she indicated the spirit was & I'm sure the fact that I blessed it helped. I actually got the idea of it patented & plan on marketing it along with my other products in my small business. It worked for her night terrors a lot, as well as my other two. But it was not the only thing I had to do with her, for it wasn't only night terrors I was dealing with. & like I said, the added stress of mommy & daddy not being together does add to it for some children. But ALL children are different. I really hope some of our suggestions have helped. I hope to hear from you soon hunny.

~LSD~
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-01)
I always say this but, I haven't read any other comments so forgive me if I repeat anyone. I had to comment right away because it just breaks my heart when I hear about these thing scaring our children. I am a mother & I understand how frightening it can be especially when your child is at an age where they can't fully articulate what it is the have experienced. So frustrating! But something I did try is, I asked my daughter if she could draw me a picture, I also asked if she could tell me a "story" about what she had experienced. You can try that. I don't know you so I don't know anything as far as your belief or religion/lack there of. If you do know the Lord than I suggest asking the Holy spirit to protect your baby. Also you had written that he was staying at his fathers house & it happened there. So my guess is that you're no longer "with" his father. If that's the case, I'm sure it's no mystery to you, that this can cause stress on our little ones in so many different ways, that also the enemy can use to attack our children, believe it or not. What ever you believe, do what you can to protect your baby & your self, but please I urge you to do something & I understand that you posting your story here is a good first step, there are many of us here with plenty of different good advise. We are quite the melting pot here & I have come to respect many people here & their methods of dealing with these problems. If you would like, I assist a lot of people who have these troubles. I'm not creepy or super religious, I'm real & I love people & to help you can reach me via e-mail

Lotus08kiss[at]gmail.com

I am ordained & I take it very seriously, 'specially when it comes to our children. This is not a hobby for me, & I wouldn't charge you considering the urgency I feel while reading your post. Again it's completely up to you, but I can help you find legitimate help in your area. Bless you & yours & please keep us posted. I hope to hear from you soon. But it won't break my heart if you don't, I just want you & your lil' one to be well!

~LSD~
Jitow (362 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
Read the Bible to him nightly, you can even use the story book version of the Bible and leave the Bible open on his nighstand at night. Say a simple prayer with him out loud every night and let him repeat after you and just say "Dear God please protect me from all evil, in Jesus name, Amen. Also get him a nice flashlight to keep under his pillow or near by. Please start the prayer and Bible reading immediatley and both of you will rest easier. I know that I will get the old "what if she is not a Christian". It works, if you are against God and Jesus then it may not help, but your child is covered under God's covenant until he is old enough to express his on free will, regardless of what you believe it will greatly help him. I am not trying to bash any other religion, just stating what will work which is what you are asking for. Let me know.
AlyshaMarie (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
Aww that's so sad. Children are known to be able to see spirits the younger that they are since their minds have not yet been programmed to believe that such things do not exist. Hence the "imaginary friends" that many kids have. Usually they are not imaginary. There's honestly not a whole lot you can do but talk to him and assure him it's fine... If he won't open up to you that poses a little bit of a problem. It's just a little odd that he's soo frightened of whatever it is. You could always try performing one of those cleaning rituals or sometimes just asking the spirit to leave works. The other option is that he is just having night terrors. I would look into that a little bit more.
mrsmla4ever (3 stories) (53 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
My 2 year old son is going through a similar situation. His does not seem as drastic though. He isn't awoken at night, he just runs to us during the day yelling ghost or monster and pointing at something. From the first time this has happened we have told our son to tell the monster/ghost to "go away!" and "you're not welcome here!". This seems to alleviate a great deal of my sons fears and makes the monster/ghost disappear. I agree with several of the posts on here that giving your child strength will help them tremendously. My thoughts are with you...
winwin (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-28)
Now you have to do is stay with him and sleep beside him at night. In your room at night try to on a small light house try don't too dark. I know what he saw if I not wrong. Because he is too young, A lot of thing that he saw is too scarry and he don't understand what is that. So he can't tell you. So must got some one beside him to take good care of him. Do you pray? No matter you are Christian or buddha, I hope you go and pray... If your boy really can see the ghost or whatever, you need to take long time to take good care of him. I hope your boy can back to normal... I think the spirit, ghost or demons will scare more then your boy. Because your boy can saw them running and hiding...Don't worry this thing you need time... 😁
Dorion (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-28)
Have you tried leaving a light on for him at night? Maybe he's afraid of the dark? Alternatively, if there is a spirit in the house and your son is scared of it, or it is terrorizing him then you need to make it leave. Generally all you need to do is tell the spirit to leave, if that doesn't work then you can try burning some white sage in the house, specifically in your child's room and along the stairs where you think he has seem them. If that doesn't work, hand a pentagram in the room (NOT an inverted one), pentagrams give protection.
Ghost_Lover32 (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-27)
You should comment me and I can help you I have experienced it before cause I have seen my grandpa... And he is dead I haven't really been seeing him much but he died about 4 years ago and I miss him sometimes but when I see him I'm not happy it means he is visiting from the spirit world cause he misses me but that the only reason happy for the reason I mad is because his mother is dead and he should be spending time with her and I wish he came back to life but not at the same time cause if he came back and I would hang out with him and watch TV he would watch cow boys but in black and white which equals boring then I don't like it but if he wanted to go for a walk I would like that not him just ignoring me and watching stupid cow boys so yeah but if you have any questions about ghost in general than comment me thanks bye 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-27)
With this happening with a three year old, I am not at all too sure it would be in his best interest to have him draw it out. Or in YOURS either.
It has been my experience, that night terrors can be either visual (full blown REALLY scary nightmares), implied (the THOUGHT of something REALLY scary NOT accompanied by a visual), or straight up unconscious imagination working overtime (a nightmare).
IF (yes, that is all in capitals) this is a night terror situation, and he is getting a clear visual, to have him draw it out, would bring it into his waking world. Children that young, no matter their abilities, do have issues in differentiating between absolute fact (what happens to them in life) and what plays out in their minds. To have him draw what he sees in his mind, or while sleeping, would "draw it out" of his dreams, and MAKE it appear real.
Think of it this way. We have photographs of various things throughout our houses. When our children pick up one of those photo's, they sometimes ask us "who/where is this?" IF (caps) you were to have him draw it out, and he should happen to stumble on it later, that same question would still come to mind. Or one very similar. To have a concrete visual (a drawn out picture of what he thinks he sees) would add credence to what he is experiencing, making it REAL.
If he NEVER puts words to what he is experiencing, that is just fine. If he does not remember any of it upon waking, even better. That would tip the scales a bit more onto the Night Terror side of the scale.
IF (again, in caps) this is a being, or beings coming to visit, he may truly be unable to put a visual TO the experience. I would be very delicate in asking him, the day after an experience, what he saw or felt. Perhaps asking "Did you sleep well last night?" (depending on how good at communication he is), or "Do you feel rested this morning?" But make it NORMAL conversation, and try not to ask leading questions (such as, did you see something scary last night?). Sometimes, if we pretend to ignore the "obvious", in their own time they will be able to let us in on what is really happening.
Try not to be over anxious about this (yes, I really DO know how hard that is. Especially when it happens away from you as well), and try to act as if it is no big thing. Play it off, if you have to, until you feel you have all the facts in.
Your biggest help, at this point, is in the accumulation of knowledge. Accept what is comfortable, forget about the things that seem too "out there" for you to deal with. Not all situations, or children, are the same, and should be dealt with in a tailor made ways.
I am truly really waiting to have a response from you to this story, as it could help "weed out" some things that could send you the right advice.
With a Grandmother and Aunt as communicators... Have they ever spent the night in the house and been witness to any of this?
Wa-do.
Zork (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-27)
Just an idea,
Have you asked him to draw what he sees?

Given your grandmother & aunt were able to communicate with spirits, it's quite plausible your son also can as it often runs in the family and skipping a generation or two is not unheard of.
jennifera (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-27)
it is a possibility he can see spirits too... Sometimes when you have people in your family who has been communicating with spirits, chances are that he can too...
brainlessbandit (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-27)
Based on your description and given the child's age and the time of the incident, it sounds like it might be some sort of parasomnia disorder, probably night terrors. This phenomenon is caused by partial arousal during stage 4 of the sleep cycle. Children who experience night terrors appear to wake up screaming and crying and may even move around a bit (like the pointing your son did), but they are actually asleep. I did a case study at my university on a child who experiences frequent night terrors, and from what I learned in the study, I know it is indeed a disturbing event... But it is actually quite harmless. A word of advice: make sure your child gets enough sleep and does not eat a heavy meal before bed, and do NOT wake the child up during an event (it will not affect them; they won't remember it in the morning).
Renee333 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-27)
In all honesty, this sounds like Night Terrors--which my daughter used to get occasionally. It is scary to the parent, but the child will probably not even remember it the next morning. Children experiencing Night Terrors will cry frantically and seem to be awake, but will not usually speak and often don't seem to respond to the parents words (although they will look right at you). You can't easily calm them down, because they're not really awake. The crying lasts quite awhile but they eventually go back to sleep. If the child says he was seeing ghosts or people that night when he later wakes up the next morning (without your suggesting such an idea to him), then there may be a paranormal explanation. But rule out the likely explanation first. Don't worry needlessly.:)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-03-26)
Motherof2, please accept all the advice you get and appreciate the concern everyone has for you and your son. I didn't know anything about places like this (if they were even in existence 13 years ago). I wish there had been people I could have gone to for help.
Even if it turns out to be nothing more than night terrors, to a mommy they are terrifying. If it turns out to be more than that, you have so many knowledgable and experienced people willing to offer all the help they can.
If one suggestion doesn't work, try another. If that one doesn't work, try another. There are people here who do know what they are talking about. And they are here for you to talk to about it. Sometimes that helps alot; knowing there's someone who understands.
My prayers are with you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-26)
Hello, motherof2.
When your son was pointing at various things, (yes, I did read where you said "like what he was seeing was moving around") did you happen to notice if he was pointing at just about the same height (with the exception of the floor, obviously)? Does your other child (and how old is the second child?) seem to ever do similar things? Do they share a room?
I would add to Pjod's post by also suggesting that you "arm" your son with a spray bottle of salt water. Salt, and waters are natural "ghost fighters". You can either make a second one for yourself, or just use his, and make a show of "washing them away". It may turn into a game for him, and there really is no harm in that. If he plays right before bed, IF this is night terrors, that COULD replace his unease with peacefulness.
I would also suggest that you play soft music as he sleeps. If he likes classical, use that, if he likes rock, that is fine as well. Be careful not to choose something that will keep him awake by dancing, or getting rambunctious.
If you have it, use a lavender spray on his pillow and bed sheets. Lavender is calming, and has been used in sleep aids effectively for both adults and children. Bathe him in lavender bath soaps and/or shampoos (Johnson and Johnson have both. They are also available in the generic brands) just before bed. Use lavender fabric softeners when practical (you do not want to mess up the flame retardant materials by using softeners).
If you are a smoker, do not smoke around his bedroom, even out in the hall. Burning nicotine has been known to create the illusion of negativity for some people. Further, use a fabric freshener on the clothing of smokers in the house. The scent (smoke) displaces itself in the most unusual places.
If there are none, do not forget the night lights.
I do not know if you say nightly prayers with him before bed, but if you do, make sure you do not skip a night.
Just a few suggestions.
Wa-do.
Seriousghouls (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-26)
are you sure he nwasnt just sleep walking. I still sleep walk and my mom stayed with me one night and said I was screaming and walking around the house like something was pulling me. I feel sorry for you!. Buy a dog or something and put him in the same room as your kid and see if the dog starts barking at something you can't see animals have extra sensory so they can sometimes see or hear something that we can't I have to sleep with both of my dogs at night because there's white things walking around my room at night. Put a camera in the room with what ever pet you buy if you do to see if he starts growling. I'm not saying you have to but its a good start. I hope it gets better.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-03-26)
Motherof2: I totally agree with Pjod and Devious... I think what robertar said is "night terrors", when the child is still somewhat asleep... Though he still may only be having nightmares, and not really able to distinguish between sleeping and wakefulness... Vivid dreams aren't uncommon in little ones... But like Pjod said, taking control of the situation, ghosts or no, will help him see that you aren't afraid and that he shouldn't be either... And if it is an entity, THEY will get the idea that they aren't welcome!...Two birds with one stone 😆

Good luck, and keep us posted... ❤
OMGITIS (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-26)
Oh My. How Old Is Your Son? Ask Him What He Sees, If He's Still Screaming Just Make Him Close His Eyes And Comfort Him ALWAYS! I'm Sure Your A Good Mother 😁
the_echo (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-26)
i was told by my mother that when something is scaring your family (ghost, spirit ect) you need to let them know your not afaid of them. They can't hurt you and they don't belong here. (your home) and that they need to leave. She told me this because the spirit things use to scare my little sister. You just have to tell your son to not to afraid (asuming you want to bring this up to him) and that they or it or whatever can't hurt anybody...
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-26)
I would agree that children (I can't say "all" because I don't know every child) can wake up crying. My daughter did it a couple times (nothing like pointing and hiding though, just crying like still asleep until we turned on lights and jolted her awake. But this only happened 2 o 3 times. No spirits here.

I remember waking screaming a few times, but my grammas house was huanted. People did see things there.

So just becuase kids do it, doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about why. Doctors generally do not acknowledge the spirit world, let alone teach people to protect themselves from it.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-26)
Pjod stole the words right out of my...hands? 😆 Sound advice is to be found there... Hopefully this is not the start of anything bad. Equipping him with at least some sort of defenses, like Pjod recommended, could at least alleviate the fear he feels when he sees what he does. And of course, you being there for him helps too.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: