You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Something In The Attic

Real Ghost Stories

Something In The Attic

 

I'm writing this now, as it's currently happening. My boyfriend and I always hear things rattling around in the attic (wood creaking, footsteps, and things dropping) and I always kind of brushed it off as nothing and didn't really hear it anymore because I was so used to it. Until one day his parents actually addressed me about it saying "Do you ever hear the spirits in the attic?" That's when I realized, all the things I hear in the attic are actually there. And they all knew it.

Today my boyfriend and I went out and bought some board games for a rainy day. Once we got home we decided to go up in the attic and see what games he already had, when we were done we began walking around up there talking about what parts of the attic sound like what we hear downstairs (Figuring out what part of the attic was above his room). He explained to me that sometimes you hear the footsteps and what sounds like a bang into a bookshelf next to the staircase like someone is looking over the railing down the stairs. After we got done exploring, we went on with our night.

Tonight when we came home and got ready for bed we heard the normal footsteps which had ceased for some 6 hours then a loud bang. After he mustered up the courage to go up there he found nothing out of place except some books from the bookshelf! We can't really understand why this happened. Nothing like this ever happens. When we were up there earlier today we said hello and goodnight (that might sound bizarre but if there really is something up there why not greet it?) Maybe it just wanted us to know it was still there. His cat loves the attic, and loves the apartment and they say that cats ward off evil spirits. If anyone has any insight or comments they are welcome!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nikkix, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ams112700 (27 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-02)
I agree cats and Dogs can detect ghosts the will start barking or hissing and if the ghost means harm they will wimper I heard a storie about a room that has this one corner with a black figure and the man that slept in there loved cats so maybe there is a ghost or something up there! God Bless You and GOOD LUCK! ❤
Jitow (362 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
My only advice for what it is worth would be for you not to acknowledge whatever it is again, it could invite it to leave the attic and join you in your living quarters. Also, just try not to think about it and don't waste any energy being affraid because that could fuel it to be bolder.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
nikkix: No you didn't say it wrong, I was referencing another poster! 😆...Well, if anything else happens, like the books falling or what-not, let us know... 😊 I think it was your friend of the attic knocking the books off, maybe accidently... Maybe not... Keep us posted! ❤
nikkix (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
I think the cat thing may have come out wrong! I meant that I KNEW whatever is up there isn't anything demonic because his cat isn't ever hissing or doing anything crazy in the apartment. But whenever I'm in the apartment alone he does follow me around (even in the bathroom!)

Zzsgranny: We live in a 2 family and his parents live downstairs. So his cat usually stays down there unless it makes its way into the apartment (if we let it) so the cat wasn't up there because we keep the attic door closed unless we go up there, which is usually never. I didn't even think to look at the books! We just picked them up and kind of ran out of there, like a horror movie. I don't think theyre anything important just like boring books that he doesn't even know he has probably history books or something.

Miracles51031: I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Oh! The bookshelf is right next to the stairs, it overlooks the railing. So it's like if I were to stand by the railing and look over it to look down the stairs I would probably bump into the bookcase.
Scoops (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
Could it be you have squirrels or other animals in your attic? Footsteps could be a raccoon or other larger animal?

Sprinkle some baby powder on your bookshelf in the attic. See if you see footprints of an animal or something else.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
nikkix - I agree with the other comments, especially about the cats. I've seen a cat react (don't know that it was a demon, but the cat totally freaked out!) If it was a demon, negative spirit, etc, there would be no doubt in your mind. Seriously. At this point, there doesn't seem to be any reason you should worry.

PS - I also say good morning, hi, bye, good night, whatever. Who cares if there really isn't anyone there? It truly isn't hurting anything. And if there is someone there, it just seems the polite thing to do, doesn't it?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
nikkix: If this were a demon, your cat would NOT go near the attic... And if a demon wanted your attention it wouldn't use a bang on a bookshelf...Pjod's right, they're not quiet dwellers!

I just have a couple of questions... Where was the cat during all of this?...Cat's love to lounge on such things as bookshelves... What were the books that were knocked off the shelf?...Do they hold any significant meaning to you or your boyfriend?...Are they old or fairly new?...Did you open or look through the books to see if anything was written or noted in them?...OOPs 😆 that's more than a couple!...I just think that the bookshelf has some significance here, if indeed it wasn't the cat getting comfy... And yes, whoever it is was probably letting you know that they know YOU know they're there...HUH?...Anyway,

If they aren't doing anything harmful, there's really nothing to worry about...

Please keep us posted
😊
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
oh brother. If it was a demon up there, they would surely know it. They don't have a reputation of quietly dwelling in someones attic. Every demonic haunting I have read up on, involved intense, traumatic experiences by the folks who lived it. Bumps in the night, demonic? I don't think you have that to worry about Nikkix.
popop90 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
Right now, you do not know if it is an evil spirit, AKA Demon, or not. It seems to like banging the bookshelf. You should see if there are any spiritistic books in there. That might be a reason for attracting evil spirits.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: