You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: The Black Dog - Padfoot

Real Ghost Stories

The Black Dog - Padfoot

 

I remember when I was very young growing up in Sooke, Vancouver Island, I used to play alone in our 2 acres of woodland. I always knew there was something with me, I familiarized it with a dog, but it was not until much later that I found it was more than just a figment of my imagination or some "invisible friend" that children tend to materialize.

I was about twelve years old living in Powell River, BC, the first time I saw it. Me and my best friend were walking around the trailer park she lived in, situated beside the woods. It was late, about eleven at night, and we were excited her mom let us take a walk by ourselves. As we rounded a corner we noticed that there was a gathering of a few of the local cats all making quite a fuss. As we approached the next corner where they were, we turned to look in the direction they were facing. About 4 lots away was an empty one on the corner, sitting right beneath the street light was a huge black dog. We both didn't really believe our eyes, so we kept walking. My eyes were transfixed; I just wanted to get closer. It did not fade away until very suddenly as we approached about 4 meters to it. We both had no idea what it was, but were very intrigued. I haven't heard any stories from her of it since.

But I have a different story. Ever since then I have seen him periodically. Being a small town, I felt quite safe walking home alone, or taking strolls in the moonlight. Often I would catch him out of the corner of my eye, or I would sit and stare at him for some time before he vanished. I didn't think too much of him, I always enjoyed his presence. When I read up on the infamous "Black dogs" I heard much about bad things. So I was never really sure what he was. As I researched I got many different names, like "Black shuck" and the one "Padfoot" that really stuck (unfortunately after that harry potter movie you'll never find information by researching that name again HAH!)

When I was about 16 was when I was sure he was more of a guardian. My boyfriend at the time seldom walked me home. He would make up excuses why not to, and as I didn't really feel there was much danger, I would usually take the allies to avoid main streets housing drunken boys or cops wondering why you were out past dark. I'll admit the pitch black allies were creepy, but what was I afraid of? Well, after a few months of this walking home alone, one evening I realized I wasn't alone. I could feel someone walking beside me, a dog. I have a real dog of my own at home, and it was the exact same feeling. Slightest brush up against my leg. The soft breathing. Often I'd even hear the click of his nails on the tarmac. But he would only stay through the portion of the walk that was completely black. When the street lights appeared and the ally ended, I'd turn and see a shadow disappearing back into it.

I began to enjoy the company, but was VERY alarmed one time when my boyfriend called, right after he had walked me home one of the few and far between occasions, in distress. He said after he'd said goodbye to me and turned back into the ally he felt something following him. He walked faster and it sped up. He got an overwhelming bad feeling and began to run, and it started to make these awful howling noises that were completely otherworldly! He was so scared he didn't know what to think. He said as he ran out of the ally and turned to see what was there he just saw a shadow disappear back into it. Honestly, all I could do was laugh and tell him that was who had been walking me home safe all these months, and it was angry with him. That was just my speculation, but it truly sound like it may be the case.

I now live and work in Vancouver BC and I have seen this Padfoot a couple times. Often in allies (like the one my door faces). I will sit outside by myself for a cigarette and if I feel unease, I will ask if he's around, sometimes I can make out the clear shadow of him in the garden or in front of the hedges in the ally. One occasion I hadn't seen him in some time, it was during the day, I had been talking to him a bit (sounds crazy, but sometimes I think maybe if he's really watching over me he might be listening). I went about my usual house chores and as I walked into the bathroom the MOST pungent aroma of wet dog I have ever smelled filled the room. I felt almost paralyzed. The closest dog to the house I rent in is across the street, our land lady doesn't allow animals.

So I was just left smiling and thinking, he must be listening.

If anyone else has any friendly stories of these elusive 'black dogs' please comment! It's really hard to find any information on them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sidonie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shadow13 (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-22)
oh wow! Sounds like he OR she is very fond of you:)
I wish I could see me gaurdian spirit kust be careful though even if you think its good it COULD be bad...
winfo50 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-21)
hey, erm just kind of stumbled across this page but I thought id share a bit of english folklore on the subject, now there are lots of stories from the north on england (where I'm from) about giant black dogs being an omen of death to either you or your family, but that its not just a black dog that its actually a demon in disguise and that it can also take the form of a headless dog or a white cat, or even people sometimes, but in the south of england they do have similar stories to yours as well as ones like in the north, so the ones like the ones from the north are basically the exact same, omens of death and premonitions of ill fortunes to come, but they have some like yours as I said, and they are actually stories of this one road in particular, its a costal road but that not the point, the point is that supposedly there is a black dog, said to be larger than a normal dog (sometimes even the size of a horse or a bear) and that it will guard young women when walking at night, and that basically all it does, it shows up repeatedly and just walks with the women until they reach safety.

So yeah
fernowky (15 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-07-16)
no no don't get near that black dog its dangerous don't let him enter your life black dogs are litterally demons they cause bad luck and sometimes even death but if its watching over you don't let it see with friends or boyfriends and stuff like that he might think there mean people and will try to protect by giving them bad luck or death so just let him see you
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-24)
Theres this creepy rumor about a big black dog, and a coffin showing up with one of the bridge near our town, well I haven't check it out at night cause its really creepy,. They call the black Dog "hell hound" there are so many sightings of it on europe, (thats what I have read)

P.S sorry for my bad grammar, *LOL*

-Aya
AthenaRules (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-06-24)
pman2010

What you saw sounds like a Barghest, which I described in a different post. They're legend says that when you see one, you will die soon, or a family member will die soon.

Sidone

I agree with DeviousAngel, It definitely sounds like your spirit guide, as they do often appear as animals. You are lucky, most people never get to see their spirit guides or guardian angels.
pman2010 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-13)
Thanks for the story. I have had encounters with a Black Dog too. But mine were far from friendly. The dog I saw was huge and it had piercing glowing yellow eyes that paralyzed me with fear. The last time I saw it I was walking home at 3am (people have told me that 3am was the demonic witching hour). I had seen a clear shadow of a large dog sitting out of the corner of my eye and when I looked at it my stomach clenched and this dark primal fear came over me. I took off running constantly looking back to see if I was being chased. The very next morning I got a call from my mom and she told me that one of our relatives was sick and was going to die soon. Ever since then I associated that black dog with death. But in your case the dog seems to be very protective of you. That's good that you have a gaurdian like that.
Sidonie (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
Thankyou! Yes, I've taken to just calling him Padfoot, it isn't a real name, but it's just stuck over the years.

And yes, I'd love to read your story 😁
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
Thank you for sharing your story! I have a similar sort of guardian figure that I've seen a lot throughout my life. I posted a story about the first time I ever saw this wolf/dog. If you're interested, check my profile. It's called The Atrium Woman & The Wolf.

It's possible that this could be your spirit guide!
Atemu (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-29)
Lol well I think you can safely say he isn't a hell hound as those are often associated with a sense of dread.
Perhaps you should give him a name? How about Sirius? (Just kidding lol) He could be one of your spirit guides as they often show themselves in animal form, since most people usually find animals less intimidating.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: