You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Bailey Says Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

Bailey Says Goodbye

 

I do realize the policy about submitting dreams, but I feel this one was of a distinctly paranormal nature, and feel inclined to submit it.

I want to start off by saying that I've suffered from autism and crippling depression my whole life - so when I refer to this cat as my best friend, I sincerely mean it. He stood by me for 14 years as the most faithful companion anyone could ever ask for.

Unfortunately, his life was cut short by a neighbor's carelessness. It started with a very large sheep dog, and ended badly. I would rather not go into details - but his death was sudden and left a hole in my heart. He had been with me since my childhood, and it was almost unreal at the time. It took several hours for reality to set in - but it sunk in hard. I spent the majority of the night sitting by the window and looking out at his grave (my father made a marker for him in the woods close to our home).

I suppose I must have fallen asleep around 3:00 a.m. And I will never forget the profound feeling of this experience. Unlike a normal dream, this has remained in my mind for 3 years now, just as crisp and clear as if it had actually happened.

I was walking outside, and it was a nice, sunny day. Bailey runs up to me like he always did and demands a belly rub, which I happily oblige to. We spent what seemed like an hour or more just hanging around like old times. He sat in my lap, and I basked in the sun on the steps of our old house. Suddenly -- he hopped off my lap and started to leave. I followed him, trying to catch up, but it was too late. He turned and gave me one last look, then retreated into a small foxhole under our porch. That was the last time I would ever see him. He hasn't haunted my dreams since, nor have I had any other odd experiences. But I feel as if this was his spirit coming to me to say goodbye. The goodbye I didn't have a chance to give.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ToySoldier13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LeavesFall (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-16)
That is so sad. My condolences and I hope you rescue a new cat and make it very happy. My little sister had a small puppy called Noah who was killed by a careless teenager - he fell on the puppy and crushed him to death. It was the worst thing my family has ever seen and it still haunts her. She was utterly destroyed for so long, I wish she had had a dream like this where she could have said goodbye. There is no doubt that this dream was special. It must have been him saying goodbye to you.
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-16)
sounds like a dream I had right after my first pony died. I never got to say good bye to him.
purplepiggie (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-07)
I have had many visitation dreams, some of which were from a cat of mine that passed some years ago. These dreams have a very distinct feel to them and are easily distinguishable from regular dreams. I'm sure it was your kitty coming to say goodbye. My heart goes out to you!
ToySoldier13 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-29)
Thanks a lot for reading, guys! I stumbled across this site some time ago, as stories of this nature have always fascinated me. I'm glad you enjoyed hearing about my experience. Bailey and I were very close. Though I'm sad I don't see him anymore, I'm glad in a way. ~ Cheers! ~
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
ToySoldier: We had a little maltese and his name was Bailey!...He was 14 years old as well... We had to have him "put down"...He was the best dog in the world... Went on vacations with us, everywhere...

I know it can be heartbreaking to lose such a friend and family member, really... I think he was saying goodbye 😊

Good story, thanks for posting!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
I'm sorry that you lost your companion. I am a firm believer that animals connect with us on a spiritual level, and that is why so many people treat them like family and are equally devistated when their lives are ended suddenly. I have experienced this myself.

I'm glad you were able to say goodbye to him. ❤
Irishlasie (2 stories) (28 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-28)
Yep... He came to you in a dream to say goodbye alright. I think that's sweet. Its always hard when you lose a family pet ❤ ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: