You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Bright Blue Flash Of Light

Real Ghost Stories

Bright Blue Flash Of Light

 

I was hoping that someone could help shed some light (pun intended) on a phenomenon that has happened twice at my house.

A little background on me and the house, I live in Virginia right by the Potomac river, and I am aware that many civil war troops were near this area, as this was also the escape route for John Wilkes Booth (my friend owns the house he stopped at as soon as he crossed the river south). The area is steeped in traumatic history, and yes I have seen ghosts in my house (which is a new build only 2 years old)... But, this was completely different. I am a 37 year old woman in good physical and mental health, so please hear me out.

The other night at about 11:30pm I was in my front yard trying to get my dog to go pee before I put him in his crate for the night. My 10 year old son was standing at the door 12 feet away and my 16 year old son was in his room upstairs with the door closed. I turned to my left to go back to the door and in the very instant that I turned there was this absolutely brilliant bright electric blue flash of light, like a camera flash that nearly blinded my left eye for about a second or two. It came from the left area which would be my driveway. My son being inset in the door did not see its source but witnessed the same event. I walked around the house absolutely dumb founded at what could have made such a bright flash, and then decided to go onto bed, even though I had an uneasy feeling and of course my husband would be gone this weekend on travel for his job so I really felt crappy.

Fast forward to the next evening and I am telling my 16 year old what happened to me and his brother the night before, he's like "holy crap, that went through my room last night but I just figured I imagined it or I was screwed up because I just took my allergy meds". He explained to me what it was like in his room and it was identical to my experience. In his words "the room was bathed in this split second flash of bright blue light going from my bathroom/hallway area to the window on the other side of my room." This would be in the exact same direction it traveled for me too, and at the exact same time.

It amazes me that he too seen this, even though he was inside the house. He reminded me that it was less than a year ago that this happened once before yet it seems to start from the ceiling and travel out and to the floor.

I have seen ghost the majority of my life, and had an old psychic when I was young tell me I attract them and they will always be with me... BUT this is not like anything I've ever experience. I've also seen orbs here and civil war era ghosts but this is a new one.

Anyone out there know the cause/source of this, any studies, ect. I am happy to engage in discussion with others who may have experienced this. I tried reading up on this online but many people were going on about the "archangel Michael" and I'm not sure I'm buying that one.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bright_blue_flash, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ZryxVoronox (1 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-06-06)
The same exact thing just happened to me. I was sitting at my desk then suddenly there was something that looked almost like lightning, or some really skinny and tall ghost.

Right after I felt really weird, like another comment said, every cell in my body was humming at the same frequency. Almost as if something had entered inside my body, or I had gotten shocked. I also noticed a weird smell, but I don't know how to describe it.

I guess for now we won't know what it is. But I do know, it definitely wasn't lightning, I don't think anything malfunctioned. Maybe it was paranormal, who knows.
Graceunfolding (3 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-16)
Every few months I run an internet search on blue orbs and flashes. That's how I found this website. I am researching this topic because of my own experience with these lights in 2012. I will write out my story and post here later. I really appreciate all the people who have shared their blue light stories because it helps me to understand that this phenomena is not "all in my head" and that although seeing blue lights is not common it is experienced by enough people so that now I am seeing patterns, maybe one day we will be enlightened (pun intended) 😆
22aya (10 stories) (11 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-31)
Hm, saw the recent post and decided to give this a read. What's funny is that I think I've witnessed this too. My husband and I were on one of our first dates together, sitting outside at night and talking, when all of a sudden the area around us lit up with an intense flash of blue light. Everything became illuminated as if it were day. We looked around but didn't see anything we could find to explain the cause of what had just happened. We shrugged it off, but it always stuck in my head since it was just 'odd.' Interesting that others have experienced this as well!
AYork (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-30)
I had commented on this post 3 years ago, and just now am I rechecking it and reading the rest of the newer comments. I find this to be really interesting and from 3 years ago to today I have a bit more knowledge about what this is and what is happening.
If you are interested in corresponding more personally please email me at anyork3 [at] live.com or find me on FB, my name is Ashley Nicole York.

Love and light my friends! <3 ❤
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-14)
I experienced something similar once too... Except it was on a smaller scale. It was outdoors (reclaimed indigenous land... Unsure if that's connected) and the light only illuminated a few square feet of ground. It made a snapping bang sound that startled the horses near me. At least I knew I didn't imagine it wheb the horses spooked. A friend suggested it was the presence of an air eelemental, a sylph.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-14)
I did some study on the phenomena of the Longendale Lightsin England, just south of Manchester, a few months ago... Just an interest. A few accounts by people who have witnessed the lights are similar to what you describe. A bright blue flash that illuminates the surrounding area like daylight for a suspended moment. Personally? I think its elemental activity.
bright_blue_flash (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-13)
[at] Dock_Watchman, Michelle198527, SoulofSapphire, first of all thanks for responding, and giving your own insights. I haven't checked this board in about a year or more, so forgive me. We have only had the light happen one more time here, and it was bright white last time, like a camera flash went off in every room simultaneously. We do have a civil war era spirit here in our house, but he usually only gets all reared up when there are changes in the home like, my husband or I are out of town, or someone is sick. I guess we are still just left with a bunch of questions, but I do love how everyone finds this post, and shares their stories. Much love everyone.
Dock_Watchman (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-16)
My house lit up with a blue flash too.

While in Dillingham, Alaska in September 2008, my girlfriend and I were renting a house owned by a local business woman. There was nothing special about the place as far as I knew.

My girlfriend and I were at a crossroads in our lives. We didn't have jobs, weren't sure how long our savings would last, we didn't know most of the people in town etc. It wasn't long before some of the stresses started wearing us down and we began fighting a lot.

We hadn't been there a month when we saw our home flash bright white-blue light. The whole interior of the inside of the home! I cannot say that it began in one direction and went on to another...rather, it sort of just lit up everything at once.

The windows were covered, so no possibility of headlights from passing cars. The lights in our house had been turned off except for the bathroom light. Funny thing was that my girlfriend had been in the bathroom with the door shut and she saw the bathroom light up blue too.

I quickly walked to the bathroom door and asked her if she had done anything (I thought she might have electricuted herself). She insisted I must have done something.

Weird because I saw the light in the dark in our living room, and she saw it at the same time in the bathroom with the door shut and the bathroom lights on. I checked all over the house but never figured out the cause of the mystery flash but l never figured out what exactly happened that night. It's sort of bothered me ever since then.

The only thing I can think of besides some sort of electrical phenomena is that my girlfriend and I had been fighting a lot before then and we were both under a lot of stress. We lasted in that house maybe one more week before we decided to move to a bigger city. (We moved to Anchorage, Alaska after that.)
Michelle198527 (5 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-02)
I don't know if anyone reads these stories on this forum anymore but I too have experienced seeing a bluish white light. About 5 months ago my niece passes away and I went to spend the night with my parents house. I woke up around 5 am to feed my baby. I then laid her down and then got back into bed. I tossed and turned for about 10 minutes and all of a sudden the whole bedroom lite up in a bluish white color. It lasted about 3 seconds. I thought I was seeing things but then it happened again. I panicked and ran into the living room until my mom woke up to tell her what I had seen. She then told me after her father passed away many years ago, she too has seen her bedroom light up in a bluish white light. We both know it wasn't lightning and the house is way out in the country so there's no lights or cars driving by. Maybe spirits from loved ones who have passed? Could be...
SoulofSapphire (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Thank god. I've been looking for somebody who had seen this for years now. Sadly, I have no answers. Only stories. I saw it first when I was around four or five years old. My twin brother had fallen asleep and my dad carried him upstairs, turning out the lights while leaving the room. I was waiting for him to come back for me when I saw a surge of blueish white light erupt from the ground out of the reflection of our blank tv screen. I asked my dad what it was and he told me I was just sleepy. Its always been on my mind.

I saw it once more when I was in high school. I was at a friend's house down the street and we were already telling ghost stories in the dark when three of us saw the same light rising from the ground in his back yard. It's been a long time since I've seen it and I've yet to see any reliable explanation but at least I know now that this isn't a phenomenon that is isolated in the housing development where I grew up.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-24)
lilbittyleasha: The comment section isn't for posting stories... Please take a look at the "Comments Guidelines" by folloing the link at the bottom of the page... I suggest you submit yours the proper way, after reading the "Submissions Guidelines" of course...
Nikki_noo (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
Im very happy I finally found someone else who has experienced what I did. When I was approx. 12 years old I was about to go to bed (I was living with my parents and two brothers) and was standing in front of my closet mirror (you can see the reflection of my bedroom window in this mirror), when behind me (below the window) was a big flash of blue light. It only lasted 5 seconds or so, before disappearing. I ran and told my brothers what had just happened to me, but not being there to witness it, they didn't believe me. I have rarely told people the story since until recently I had a dream about the incident, and it jogged my memory. Anyone know what it may be yet? I'm still researching...
AYork (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Okay, I don't even know where to begin as I have been searching for an answer for so long over this subject and FINALLY this thread is the closest thing I have found to what I have experienced.

I want to go into detail as this is the first time I have ever corresponded with someone who understands it besides my mother with whom was also a witness to this mystery blue light event.

My mother had flown the three of us, my sister, her and I out to Massachusettes to visit family as we where were all originally born there. This visit took place in the summer of either 1995 or 1996 I can't recall which one (I was about 10 years old at the time). Anyhow, I can remember this like it was yesterday, it was so vivid and real and it's been 16 years since.

The setting goes like this- We were staying at my Great Aunt and Uncle's home in Holbrook, MA. George and Helen (the aunt and uncle) were in their bedroom down the hall from the living room where my mother and I were watching TV. My sister was upstairs in her guest bedroom. The living room which was a large open space connected to the kitchen area and hallway down to our families bedroom and the spiral stairs leading to upstairs were to the right of us, and behind the television there was a large rectangular window. The time had to be between 9ish to 11ish. Mom was laying on the couch and I was sitting on the floor propped up against the couch, I remember we were talking but looking at the TV and then BAM that's when it happened. From the window behind the TV this unearthly radiant blue but almost glimpse of pale white (hard to explain) flashed vigorously throughout the house. I know it wasn't minutes long but I can't say how many seconds it lasted, but what I do know is that it lasted long enough or it felt like it that I turned to look at my mom and we both looked around as this "flashing blue light" was literally radiating every part of the house in our view, and when I say this, I mean it, this is one of the strangest factors about this experience is that my mother and I both agreed that it seemed to illuminate every nook and cranny, every corner, it lit up the upstairs and it lit up the hall leading to our aunt and uncle's bedroom. I can't say it enough, it literally went around corners that a normal light wouldn't have the power to do, as it flashed into the hall it was just as bright and strong as it was coming from the window directly in front of us. So that was that. When it stopped we immediatley ran to the window and it was as black as could be, we thought possibly a helicopter, but there was just nothing in sight. Nothing. So we then went to their bedroom where their door was wide open and their bed faced the door looking directly down the hall into the living room, they too were watching tv, and when asked they said they saw absolutely nothing. Now logically speaking that would be IMPOSSIBLE, as this light had a power behind it strong enough to catch your eye even if you were blind. My sister as well saw nothing.

So I have held onto that memory and my mother and I had talked about it over the years and tried to gain an understanding as to what in the world it could have been. She has now passed three years ago this month, so I am left with this puzzled experience and I want an answer. I have researched and researched and can't quite find anything of solidity. Until I found this site today!

I want to mention something I noticed upon reading your message and others, does it not strike you as odd that in a number of these stories a parent witnesses this with their child? AND that the word hallway is mentioned very often when the setting is being described. I don't know, but it's some food for thought.

Would love to hear from more people and their ideas. I also want to say one last thing, I do believe in perspectives, dimensions, different state of minds, and the word ghost just doesn't add up for me when concerning this particular phenomena. I do believe in spirits or energy as I'd rather call it, people who are into this type of this, should read a book called "Seth Speaks" I have yet to make it through the entire book as it begins to open up so many doors and ideas but one day I will... Very interesting book. But overall I am just trying to add up the pieces and figure out this puzzle.

Thank you so much for reading!
bright_blue_flash (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-18)
To carissahello- I just checked this site, as I do every couple of months. It is funny you mentioned your alarms, because I have had that happen here before, but not coupled with the flash of light. After living her for a couple of years I have noticed that it happens at very specific times, usually right before the family has to travel or the night before a "big day", like when something important is going on (ie, wedding, funeral, holidays ect.) Our fire alarms are hardwired into the house and they too will go off in intervals through the night, scaring the bejesus out of all of us!

Thank you for responding, and check back from time to time, as there are always interesting posts on here from others who are experiencing similar phenomina!
CarissaHello (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-23)
This might be a bit too late to comment, but I was doing some research on some of the occurrences that happened to my household last night, and I happened to come across this post.

Last night, our carbon monoxide alarm went off at approximately 12:45AM. This isn't completely abnormal, as our alarm is old and sometimes glitchy, so we reset it to see if it would go off again and it did not. We all went back to bed and was awaken again two hours later; at 2:45AM. This time we put the newer alarm in the outlet next to the older one, and it went off too, but after we reset them both, they went quiet.
So we went back to bed, and were awaken once again two hours later, at 4:25AM to the old alarm. I got up, and I went to reach for my door handle (it's a French door, it has glass) and just as I reached for it there was a huge white/blue light that appeared from the hall way and shown into my room. It wasn't a quick flash but it wasn't slow either, almost as if it was a quick pulse.
I opened the door and my sister was freaking out, and my mother was asking us what it was. There was no light on, except for my sisters bedroom light which was still on after the flash.
My mother peered into the hall way straight after and said that the wall seemed to have been slightly illuminated. We checked everywhere and we couldn't find any source to where the light could have come from, and the alarm didn't go off after that.

We don't know if it had a connection to carbon monoxide - highly doubt it as we are not sick or deceased - but I do personally feel that it is connected to the alarm setting off. Our house is almost 100 years and we have a civil war history in our neighbor hood. I read up that ghosts/spirits sometimes set off alarms, and in my old house the fire alarm would always unnecessarily set off as well. My sister, my mother and I are curious to what it is and are dying for answers!
bright_blue_flash (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-07)
In response to Zoebuxton, I don't remember anything like the feeling you explained. I had been thinking of a friend who passed earlier last year, but even that didn't feel like him. It happened one time before this past may, and my son reminded me of it after I talked to him and the only thing they have in common is that they happen around midnight. I enjoy everyone's stories and sharing this experience, can't thank you all enough, every story makes me feel a little more sane. In the mean while we've seen a black orb in our kitchen, anyone have any word on those or what they mean? Have been looking for a meaning online, but all I can find is that Black orbs exist?
zoebuxton (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-29)
bright_blue_flash and others,

Hi, the same thing happened to me and my daughter this morning.

I was in my kitchen making breakfast and my daughter was in the family room waiting and watching tv. Our kitchen, breakfast room and family room is one long room. The family room has big windows all along the back of it, yet the kitchen where I was has no windows. All of a sudden, the brightest light I have ever seen "flashed" and seemed to fill the entire house and outdoors. It seemed like a white, blue light. It seemed to come from outside.

I asked my daughter if she saw it and she said yes. She said it was so bright that it lit up all of outside and inside so much that she couldn't see anything. I felt the same way standing in the kitchen with no windows.

I went outside and looked up but saw nothing, altough, I live in an area with very big, old trees and can only see a very small portion of the sky.

After a minutes of talking about it to my daughter, I went upstairs, where my husband was getting ready in his bathroom and asked him if he saw a bright flash of light. He said he just got out of the shower and didn't see anything, but that he could have had his eyes closed washing out the shampoo.

After the experience I felt a little strange. It's hard to explain, but the best way I can put it is that I felt like my whole body, down to my cells was humming the same frequency. I have also felt very elated today.

Normally, I would have thought it was in my head, but the fact that my daughter saw it also dispells that. I have seen many kinds of flashes in my lifetime also, for instance, the halogen bulbs in the kitchen blow, transformers blow, lightning, power surges, etc. But this was so very different from any of those experiences. It was as if this light passed through the walls.

When I read your story about the ghosts, I thought that maybe that was what I experienced, but it didn't feel like that, especially because the light seemed to originate from outside and pass through the house. We live in the house that my husband's grandparents build and died in and have experienced many "ghostly" things over the years. I have never feared it though because I sense it is his grandparents.

The flashing did NOT feel like them. It was a different feeling all together. I was wondering if you or anyone else who has experienced this "felt" different afterwards or before? Any dreams the night before or after? (I have yet to fall asleep, as it happened today.) I did have a strange dream last night.

It was nice to know that other people have experienced the same thing.

Thanks for your stories.
Nighthingale23 (60 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-25)
wow very interesting indeed. I totaly agree with scoops. Something like this happened once to me when I was about 12, its was arounf 6 or 7pm and it was a clear day in the summer, Suddently the power went out everywhere in the area, people stepped outside wondering was was going on. This happened so fast it seems as if it never happened. I remeber standing there in the middle of the street looking down the road the suddenly this "wave" or blueish energy rippled and spread through the sky until it dissapeared it happened so fast I didn't even know what to think of it! Sort of what amanlavida wrote about but it was high in the sky!. Though it was not like the flash of a camera its was more like a huge wave of blue light sort of what might look like an atomic bomb going off. Its crazy, Its things like that that make me question so many things... After that the power went back up. And no one ever spoke of it.
amanlavida (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-07)
10 years ago in the Northern Rivers of NSW, Australia, myself and 5 other people experienced almost the same as you have described. It was late evening just before dark, we were in various locations in and around the house. The weather was fine, no storms or cloud. The first flash seemed to come from the NWest at the edge of the property beyound the sheds. The strongest field/ray of light seemed to radiate out flat from a central point, like a ripple and traveled about 1 meter above the ground lightening up the entire area (like a nuclear flash) .This light passed through all non-living objects - the sheds and house momenterilly disappered- but we could still see the trees and shrubs and each other. It was brighter than day or welding or lightning but did have an odd electrical 'look' about it. Several minutes later it happened again. Some things are best not questioned, so I have never tried to find answers or reasons for this phenomenon. It was just one of lifes little treats.
bright_blue_flash (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
Glam Girl, that is very interesting because I live in the King George area. While there was an encampment here, there were not battles. I must admit to being absolutely perplexed by this, I usually have a pretty good grasp of things that happen around here but this one is completely different. At least with a ghost most people get a vibe as to male or female, good or evil and sometimes era, ect.

The canon flash is an interesting theory that I didn't really ponder, seems a little less likely since it had such an electric blue charge to it. I guess the best way to describe it is almost like a sci-fi blue?

Fustrating as it might be, I'll forge on for at least a little more understanding of this. Has anyone ever experience this around or near other sitings, events or issues?
krhus1 (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
I have witnessed this. (I actually have a story about it on this site, but don't remember what I called it.)
About five years ago, my husband and I were in the living room watching tv, and there was a brilliant, bright flash of blue light in our dining room. Two seconds later it happened again. I got up to look... And when I got the the dining room there was a blue orb hovering towards my ceiling. (And a tv turned on by itself.) The blue orb was still, but had massive energy. After about 30 seconds, it "shot" down into my kitchen as a beam of light, then started "undulating." It was still a blue mass of light, about 3 feet high off my floor and one foot wide, just undulating. It was that moment that I realized the magnitude of what I was seeing, and went to get my husband. When we got back it was gone. Two months later, I went upstairs to my bedroom, and the blue flash happened out in my hallway. I immediately went downstairs without looking. (I was home alone.) I have been enthralled by this experience ever since. I have also had other experiences.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
Hi there, I just read your story and was wondering if it maybe could be some type of residual haunt of a canon being fired? You had mentioned being in an area with lots of history and having seen civil war ghost soldiers. Then again I could be way off. Anyways, just something that crossed my mind. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
What were the weather conditions at the time? As boring a possibility as it sounds, ball lightning comes to mind. Ball lightning doesn't always happen during a storm, sometimes if the barometric pressure is just right, it will occur. A flash of blue light, or white-ish light, is pretty normal for ball lightning. This type of lightning can bounce through walls and not leave a trace of it's passing.
This really doesn't strike me as paranormal. Three different people, in three different (albeit close) places, seeing the exact same thing, seems to point more to a natural cause. Just a thought.
ZiShu (281 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
well, I did think of ArchAngel St. Michael when I saw this title. However from reading the story, you only speak of a blue flash like from a camera. St. Michael's aura is blue, and he appears as a blue orb if he doesn't go into his full form. He does not "flash" things.
You say you are gifted. Maybe I can help you, just send me an e-mail and we'll see from there.
GlamGirl (3 stories) (4 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
Hey how are you? I came across your story and I found in extremely interesting I also live in VA in the Stafford/Fredericksburg area. I am intrigued because I have also seen a blue light in a home on my property about three years ago. I mean it was crazy because what I saw and other family members saw is almost as you described except I was in the house, I saw the blue light almost like a flash start in the front room where I was sitting and it traveled into the kitchen and then it was gone. It was so crazy because it was SO fast and people in the kitchen which is completely separate (closed off with a swing door) saw it I mean I saw this light go through the wall. Honestly at the time I freaked out, I always assumed it had something to do with Quantico marine base because they do so many different things there but I am questioning that after reading your experience. The home where I saw this light I also have had other experiences and it was built on civil war camp sites and possibly the sight of smaller battles during the civil war according to the historians around here.
JPing (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
"I just hope someday, after I'm gone from this earth, I can have all these questions answered."

An interesting wish, Scoops. Is not seeking the truth the essence of being human? To have all the answers would be boring.

I actually have a quote from Lessing on my profile which may speak to you.

"The true value of a man is not determined by his possession, supposed or real, of Truth, but rather by his sincere exertion to get to the Truth.

It is not possession of the Truth, but rather the pursuit of Truth by which he extends his powers and in which his ever-growing perfectibility is to be found.

Possession makes one passive, indolent, and proud.

If God were to hold all Truth concealed in his right and, and in his left on the steady and diligent drive for Truth, albeit with the proviso that I would always and forever err in the process, and to offer me the choice, I would with all humility take the left hand."

- Gotthold Lessing (1778)
Scoops (4 stories) (17 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-12)
Well written story. I'm afraid it leaves more questions than answers. I just hope someday, after I'm gone from this earth, I can have all these questions answered. It really is frustrating not to know isn't it?

I've never seen anything like that and have had only a few experiences. I've never seen a full fledged ghost though.

Thanks for sharing.

Scoops

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: