You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Black Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Black Dog

 

My name is Vanessa, and I am 17. I will be turning 18 this Thanksgiving. I wish I had found a site like this sooner because, frankly, I was a little confused and scared at the time. A few years back, things happened (Family-wise) and we ended up caring after an elderly black Labrador. He was the sweetest and most gentle dog I've ever come across. He was also blind. My father didn't like him, and would only be okay with him (Grudgingly) if he lived in the yard. My father was CONSTANTLY complaining about this poor soul, and he didn't even have to care for him. It was my mom and I who would clean his doghouse, feed him and groom him. (I'm sorry this is a little off-topic, but it ties into the first meeting with Specter hounds)

I've never been a very religious person, and to be honest, I don't really think much about it. (At the time I was sure spirits and religion went hand in hand.) So it was a few days before Christmas. It was a Friday evening (Around 5 to 6, I believe. It was dusk.) I remember because I was excited to go see the dog. Just to clear things up, I've visited this dog many times before -- So I knew he didn't get along well with other dogs or strangers.

While I was out there with him, I turned my back on the front gate and just stood, petting, to comfort him. (Of course he was keeping a heavy paw on my toes, ouch!) I felt miserable for him, but something must have caught his attention at the time because he left my side. (He never left anyone's side!) He was walking toward the front gate, and then when I was following him (I guess I wasn't paying attention?) I looked up and just freaked out. There was this giant - and I mean HUGE -- dog standing with his face just inches away from the fence. At a glance (Which is all that I got) I'd say he looked like an American White German Shepherd (If you want to look it up for reference!) With big pale eyes. The fur was too short and dense to be a husky. The snout was nothing Husky-esque, either. It was so quiet outside, that I guess it surprised me that I didn't hear it when it came walking through the grass. It just sort of, appeared.

I was scared because I'd seen the Lab get into fights before and at the time I had been unable to pull him off the other dog. So I was scared something would happen if he caught the smell of the other dog. So I turned around to pick up a pebble to throw at the gate to scare it off. In just seconds, when I turned around the dog was gone. I was in shock. I just kind of stood there and dropped the pebble thinking, did it run away? But I didn't hear it run away! I didn't hear anything, in fact. So I went out onto the lawn through the front gate and ran to check the corner. I looked left and right on the street. (Mind you, the street I live on is a very long street. Even if he did run, I still would have caught a look at him before he reached the corner. Remember, this was just seconds!) I was a little spooked. I mean, it still boggles my mind a bit. I can't understand how that could've been possible at all. Just like the blink of an eye. Not a crunch of grass, or tapping nails against the concrete of the driveway.

Anyway, so that was my "first time" I guess. It was the day before Christmas, and it was chilly out. I wanted to go say an early Merry Christmas to the dog. But he was gone. My dad told me he'd taken him to a "farm". I've never forgiven him for that. How could anyone abandon an animal in so much need, just because you had a bad day? A few years after that, strange things started happening. (I'll get to that in another post, this one will stick to the Black Dog apparitions) One day I was sitting in my brothers room watching T.V. Now that I think about it, it was around the same time I had seen the white do. (I'll just call him Houdini for now, haha.) Half past 5 in the evening, around dusk. I could hear this sudden and weird noise but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Then I can finally make out that it's snarling -- Not barking -- Snarling. Kind of like snorts, yips, growls and barks all jumbled together.

My seat was right beside the window, so when I turned to see what was going on. There were these three noticeably HUGE dogs, standing up on two legs. Two of them were pinning one to a tree just outside my house. [NOTE: This tree stands well over 6 feet tall and these dogs were just about the same height on two legs.] They stood up remarkably straight, which looked really weird to me. To sum it up, it was a 2 on 1 fight. The two dogs on the same "team"? Snow white to the last tail hair. The other one? So black that I didn't even see the ruffles in it's coat. Of course, I'm not thinking right off the bat, SPIRIT DOGS! No way, I had pets all my life! I was worried sick there was going to be bloodshed. So I ran to the living room (Not really thinking... How was I supposed to pull three giant dogs apart from each other, anyway?) But the front door was wide open. My dad and two neighbors were chatting half inside and half outside of the house. I'm here panicking, and these three are looking at me like I'm crazy. I told them what I saw, but they all made faces at me.

I looked outside and there was not a soul around. That's when I started feeling strange about this whole dog thing. I decided to look up ghosts on the internet, but I could never find anything on animal spirits. Until later, when I found a webpage regarding a legendary animal in folklore. It was called the Black Shuck. Others referred to it as a Black Dog, or specter hound. I read they've been "witnessed" in different colors, but all have one thing in common. They're all friggin' huge! They say, they've been seen standing up on two legs like a man -- And most have very bright eyes (Usually described as glowing) For a long time, I've been wondering if it had just been coincidence, that a dog would just appear out of nowhere and disappear without a trace. That Specter Hounds were considered to be messengers of Death. Like a bad omen, sort of. That death may be near. And what had happened? My father dumped the poor dog somewhere, never to be found. (My mother and her friends at work searched high and low for him.)

The last time I ever saw those dogs was when I saw the fight. Not too long after, give or take a few painful months, my great aunt passed away due to cancer. It's a silly assumption to key them together, I know, because there's so much time between them. It still bothers me, more-so because I've never seen them again. I would walk my Min-pin with me around the block, thinking that they might have been a neighbor's dog. I would've thought they were strays, but white dogs living on the street don't look much like shining pearls, either. I can't understand why they would be fighting if they were what I now think they were, and I still wish I knew why I heard them the last time and not the first time. Either way, they still disappeared faster than I could even register they were gone. Am I the only one? Has anyone had any experiences with animal spirits or the like? Please tell me, I'd like to know.

Thanks for reading through that all, I appreciate your interest!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Noxxy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MANMUTTT630 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-15)
ive seen similar dogs infact I have seen one that has apparently been following me and it manages to stay a decent distance from me but its close enough to tell its size, fairly well its shape and features. Did you ever encounter a smell around where they were?
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-14)
Hi Noxxy, yes my husband and I had an experience with ghost dogs. It happened while we were camping. We usually go to this place at the riverside. We like fishing. Were we go is no electricity so everybody is depend on gas and paraffin there for cooking and light. That night the neighbour campers used their spotlight of their truck to give them light while still busy sorting out their campsite and I was giving my husband light with a torch while he was connecting the gas bottle to our caravan and then we saw two beige dogs running towards the neighbours campsite but when they reached the spotlight they vanished into thin air. They completely just disappeared from the face of the earth. That was strange we still talk about it. Trix ❤
Black_Wolf (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-14)
Hello Noxxy, I enjoyed reading your story and I have heard of the Black Shuck that you were talking about so anyways, thank you for sharing your story with us.

~Black_Wolf
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-28)
thats just sick. He could have brought the dog to an animal shelter if he didn't want it. That's what happens here in WI. If the dog has no tags, people bring them to the shelter. Everyone knows to call thee shelter if theyre missing a dog.
If the dog has tags, the owner is usually called. I know of a black lab who comes by my farm a lot. I'll be working and she will come over to be pet. I let her hang around while I finish work then I call her owner and he comes and gets her. He said I could have her but I said I honestly have enough animals. Otherwise I would take her.

Anyway, I believe that if an animal is in someones care, that person shouldnt treat it like its dirt on the floor. That animal is alive and it feels too.
As for those huge dogs, I have no clue what they were. I saw a pack of black dogs that just vanished once. Now THAT was freakin scary >_<
Pinkzilla (35 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-09)
What an awful thing for you to have to go through... You can tell a lot about a person's character by how they treat animals. I'm an animal lover and we have taken in four cats within the last 6 years... One whose owners moved and just left him behind... So sad (but it worked out great for us because Neelix is an amazing cat...)

ANYWAY...what a bizarre thing to see. I wonder if it could be an inprint haunting... The dogs are reliving a traumatizing event... But then why were they so big? I don't know. I am clueless on this one. Let us know if you see them again.

:0)
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
Aw no, 😭 😭 😭 poor dog, why would your dad do such a thing. Thats just not cool at all and very unfair of him to dump a helpless dog for no reason. Confront him, noxxy on why he'd do such a thing. Also pray for this poor soul and light a candle for him, Katherine.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
That's one sadistic father you got there. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings lass; but most farmers simply eliminate any strange dogs they find on their farm. Very very few are willing to take on a stray.
Desire_touch (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
❤ I love your story.:) It's so touching. Tell us more if you have any more encounters.
EmeraldAngel (4 stories) (319 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
Thats so mean that your dad did that! Why would he do such a thing! Sorry, I'm a dog lover and am strongly against animal cruelty. My dog passed away two days ago, he was seventeen years old bless him. You think those white dogs were possibly Angels fighting the Black shuck? Cool experience, so sorry bout your dog, may he be happy wherever he is. Ima cry 😭, Katherine.
opaleone (41 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
THis might be kind of out there, but my first thought is that whatever entities you were seeing, they weren't actually dogs.
Sometimes our brains only let us see as much as we can handle...
I've certainly never heard of Grim Hounds walking on two legs before! That is an interesting take on them.
Maybe you saw dogs (dogs on the brain...) due to the first incident you had, which might be unrelated.
Do you feel that the first unusual dog you saw and the other three are the same thing?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
Hello Noxxy, Great story, and thank you for sharing it with us. I'm thinking that maybe your father told you he took the dog to a "farm" to avoid telling you what might have really happened. You mentioned that the dog was old and blind. Maybe the dog got sick and when your father brought him to the vet they told him he was too sick to go on. It is very common for parents to tell their children beloved pets were sent to a farm then to upset them with the truth. This is just my theory and your father might have actually sent him to a farm. Now your experience with the spirit of the white dog could have been a warning regarding the fate of your black lab, but I'm stumped as to what the other 3 spirit dogs you experienced were about. You have a very interesting head scratching story here Noxxy, I hope someone can help clarify things for you more. Take Care 😊 ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-21)
Hi Noxxy, Very interesting story indeed I have read a few stories on this site that are very similar two yours. For some reason I don't think these dogs you saw are related to your dog or the passing of your great aunt. I have heard of tales of Black Shuck before, I think a lot of them where from England and yes they did relate to seeing it as a Death Omen though in this case I'm not to sure. I'm sure one of our other fellow posters will have a better idea as to what these sightins could mean.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: