You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Footsteps In The Nursery

Real Ghost Stories

Footsteps In The Nursery

 

I and my partner live in a four bedroom dormer bungalow. The house is located 3 miles from the nearest town and is so peaceful and quiet. The house we are living in is a new construction just over 4 years old. Across the field is an old hospital which is now an Old People's Hospital. At the top of the road is an old church ruin with a graveyard to the side.

Last November (2009) our little daughter was born. Everything went great and we all settled in well at home. On April 1st of this year (2010) the baby went into her own room. For the first few weeks everything went well, she was put down at half 7 every night and went off to sleep without a problem. The nursery is just above the sitting room. We are not sure when things started in the nursery but we think it was around the start of May.

One night I and my partner were in the sitting room when we heard footsteps in the room above us. We immediately thought there was someone in the house and I got up to investigate. I went upstairs armed with the fire poker and ready to meet someone that should not be there and do some serious damage to them, but on closer inspection I discovered there was no-one there.

I went from room to room and there was nothing wrong or out of place. When I returned down stairs I checked all the doors and they were locked. Nothing else happened that night and we went off to bed and thought no more about it. A few nights later we heard footsteps again and this different sound which was like someone constantly opening and closing a drawer. This sound lasted for about 30 seconds. I got up to investigate again but found nothing out of the ordinary. All this activity carried on for about 7 to 10 nights, when suddenly it stopped.

I and my partner joked that the ghost couldn't put up with us and left the house. Lately the noises have started up again and it is now affecting our daughter going to bed at night. She is a very happy and smiley baby but at night time she will start crying as soon as she is put down in her cot. When she finally settles and starts to fall asleep the footsteps will start and sometimes the opening and closing of the drawer will be heard but when the room is checked out there is nothing out of place. One Night I was finding it hard to sleep and suddenly heard footsteps in the hallway but again there was no-one or nothing there.

My partner is worried and concerned for our daughter and does not know what to do. We have placed a religious statue of the Virgin Mary in the baby's room and we are going to sprinkle Holy Water in the room.

If anyone has any idea what this could be or how to stop it PLEASE get in touch with me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, boots, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bblair04 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-04)
This scared me, but I would get your home blessed and put a cross in your daughters bedroom that is suppose to keep the evil away. I hope everything goes well!
Rayn (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-13)
Well it sounds to me that maybe the drawers opening and such are happening when your not looking, right? So maybe set up a small handheld camera. Make sure your daughter isn't seeing anything you arent. And maybe set up a baby monitor... So if its whispering or talking you should hear it. It may answer your questions.
EyesWideOpen (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-26)
boots,

I read a very big book titled "Ghosts" that was written by Hans Holzer. I lost count of how many times people would hear noises, and footsteps was most common.

Poltergeist is German for "noisy ghost." I read a much older book authored by a gentleman in the late nineteenth century, I don't have his name handy.

Among his experiences were numerous incidents of footsteps upstairs, and even coming down those same stairs, and in the kitchen.

One night, the noise was so loud that it sounded like someone was destroying all the furniture and windows. When the occupants eventually searched the house, every thing was as it should be..., it was all nothing but noise.

I question whether or not the noise itself was real sound. It could all have been just thoughts put into their minds. If I had a recorder in place, there might not even be any noise on the tape itself.

In other situations where things are actually being broken, I'm told that it is because of a poltergeist. I'm not buying that. Two types of poltergeists? One makes only noise, and the other really destroys things. Personally, I don't believe in ghosts. However, I do believe in fallen angels.

I believe "footsteps" are meant to evoke a fear response, and heightened anxiety. My best answer is to get help from a minister or priest. I have a small but lengthy book of prayers. Different prayers are intended for different purposes and audiences. Find some prayers that make you feel strong, and reinforce your faith.

In closing, I was reading "Ghosts" one day, and I suddenly heard footsteps on my roof. This continued for about 15 or 20 minutes. I think this experience was the Power of Suggestion working on me. I stopped reading, and visualized a man dressed as a Pirate walking on my roof, and how ridiculous he must have looked..., the footsteps stopped, and didn't come back.

Don't develop "knee jerk reflex to fear."
Fear attracts these beings..., and you don't want that. Don't under estimate the power of prayer.
Shadead (91 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-26)
Agimat_Warrior is bang on the mark with the cruifix and holy water but it boils down to your faith ect.

So use your religious symbol and holy water and do a prayer of protection to the Saint ect of your faith and ask the spirit to cross over and rest in peace.

Hope this all works and your baby girl returns to her happy joyful self.

~Shadead.
agimat_warrior (4 stories) (18 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-25)
Dont worry, you are doing what is right. I suggest place a crucifix inside the room near the cot, sprinkle holy water. But must importantly, do say a prayer invoking the precious blood of jesus to protect your daughter and to call on st michael and the guardian angel to do the battle against whatever spiritual disturbance happening inside the nursery.
blizzard43 (40 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-25)
holy % [at] *$ that scares me
😨 but cool I mean does anything else happen
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-25)
Put a mirror at the head of her bed. That is supposed to keep evil from approaching.
Another thing you might try is confronting the entity, but if it is residual, this might not work.
But if IT IS an intelligent haunt, you might try to tell it that it is not acceptable to be in that room, or be in that room at that time of day.
It sounds to me like it is looking for something, maybe, if you are brave enough, help it find what it find what it is looking for and help it go home, or cross over.
Good luck! I hope all turns out well for the three of you! ❤
koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-24)
hi boots, we had a few ghost in our house, after a while we decided to move them on so we had the house blessed (one night I heard my name being called in A Whisper so that was the final straw, so I under stand how you all must feel, (I was so scared) so we had the house blessed the house is so different its feels clean cleaner and the air is lighter a little bit of god doesn't hurt. Hope I have helped you, and also the spirits were not bad. Cheers di.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-24)
boots--Where a child's welfare is concerned, it's critical to get at the root of this increasingly bold presence.
Could your partner and you take turns keeping a watching vigil (with camera and tape recorder with plenty of reserve tapes) for a few nights?
If the child moves, the spirit now might move too, although you might test this out. Just don't relax if you experience a period of silence. What's there is there. You must find out who and why, so you can send it to the light.
Aya-Love-Carrots (150 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-24)
What happen next? Did the same thing happen after you sprinkle some holy water?:o read badjuujuu's comment I think she got a point, keep us updated sir, thanks, and do take care, bless you and your family...

-Yoite love Aya
Sar-osity (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-24)
[I have not read any other comments]
It is possible that it's a residual haunting, if the same thing keeps happening around the same time every day. If it is residual then it's not a real ghost or anything, it basically a recording that just keeps playing itself over and over and it will do so weather or not you're there. It isn't even aware of your presence and is harmless. I don't know for sure what it is, but it's a suggestion. I don't know if it's possible to get rid of a residual haunting, but if you feel better doing so, maybe move your daughter to another room.

Sar-osity. ❤
hydee (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-24)
Any chance of moving your daughter to a different room? That probably won't help you with the ghost but maybe your daughter could get some better sleep?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-24)
Ok, a couple of thoughts. The activity seems concentrated in your daughter's room. It is not uncommon for ghosts, especially if the ghost is of a relative, to be drawn to a baby. It's paranormally normal. Your daughter's crying though says that she doesn't appreciate the company. The activity that you are describing sounds like a ghost, nothing more sinister. The nice thing about ghosts is that a lot of times if you tell them, firmly but politely, that they are not welcome, they will leave. Nobody wants to be where they are not welcome.
From your description of the area, I'm a little surprised ghostly occurances took so long to begin. It may be that the presence in your home has always been in the area, but was never interested enough in your home to check it out, until recently.
Another thought is this. When you set up your daughter's room, did you buy anything used, such as an antique bassinet, or anything from a flea mrket or garage sale? Ghosts can attach to items very easily. Since it all seems to take place in your baby girl's room, I wonder if there could be an item in there that something is attached to? It's a thought anyway.
I hope you all get some peace and quiet. The presence is more than likely curious rather than dangerous, but it can be unnerving all the same.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-23)
Poor lil' baby girl! I think you should get your home blessed & also get you daughter dedicated to the church. Ireland is so ancient & horrible things happened there. People also believe that if you build your home on a Fairy Run your home will be cursed. Look it up on line. Where you live sounds beautiful & it would be a shame to have to move you new family. So get involved with your church, dear & best of luck to you then. Bless you & yours. MCL.
~LSD~ ❤
Pendragon (6 stories) (296 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-23)
Oh, your poor daughter. You could get a priest to come bless your house, or a revrend, or your religious equivilant. Perhaps put a crusifix in the baby's room as well. It wouldn't hurt. And I'm sure that the spirit doesn't want to hurt the baby, or you, but is more miffed at the construction and took to creeping around the land that the contractors were building on. My house isn't even 10 yet, built in a farmer's field, and there is definitely something angry in my basement.

It is possible that the construction team unearthed something on your land, or nudged some graves with their building, and disrupted someone's sleep.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: