You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Footsteps In The Day

Real Ghost Stories

Footsteps In The Day

 

I haven't written on this site for a while (I have checked on it from time to time), but something happened this past Saturday and I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything like this happening.

I was walking home from the grocery store with my groceries hung over my shoulder, now it was a pretty hot day and at that time there was no wind that I noticed. I was passing by a nursing home in my town when I heard several footsteps behind me, no big deal. I figured since I was loaded down with groceries I should let the person behind me pass once I had the chance.

The sidewalk where I started to hear the footsteps was a little narrow since hedges from in front of the nursing home kind of crowded it. I have to also state I could definitely feel someone behind me, kind of like a sixth sense.

When the sidewalk became a little wider I stepped to the side to let person behind me pass, except there was no one there. Now there were cars parked along the street in front of the nursing home, but I did not see anyone in them or any signs or sounds of a car door opening or closing. And since I had looked back as I stepped aside, I think I would have seen a person unless they were abnormally fast.

I could see it if there had been a wind. I might have heard some leaves rustling, but these sounds were a very distinct "tap" like someone with dress shoes or heels. If it had happened at night I would have just thought I just did not see the person, they had gone into the building or a car, but this was in bright daylight, about 2 in the afternoon. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas?

Other hauntings by mrmonty

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mrmonty, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-12)
Hello mrmonty,

In an old small apartment I use to live in with my family, I was walking down the hall when I felt someone come up behind me and press their hand into the small of my back as if to say "excuse me, trying to get by" I may have been texting and walking slow at the time can't remember, but I do recall going oh excuse me and stepping to the side and NO ONE was there. My mother was in the kitchen cooking, my step father in the back room watching TV sitting on the bed.

Freaked me out, the touch was so real. Considering you were walking by a place where very likely it is common for folks to pass on, perhaps one of the old tenants of the nursing home was taking a usual afternoon stroll - only now departed! 😆

Thank you for sharing your experience. 😊
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-09)
Hi MrMonty:

Yes, I have experienced this many times where I moved out of the way for something that wasn't there, but I had a total sense that something indeed was there.

Additionally, I've experienced being tapped on the should on 2 separate occasions with no one behind me.

I think that sometimes either we're sensitive to something when it's around or something has so much energy you can't help but notice.

Thanks for sharing
PriyankaMenon (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-09)
Well I did not really hear footsteps ever. But there's one famous spot in Ramoji film city where footsteps follow us. If we increase the speed then it also increases and vice versa. When we turn around no one is there. And when we start that time it starts. Its like they are mimicking our walk. Sometimes these ghosts or spirit like to play pranks.
Myst (63 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-08)
You may want to check the obituaries in your local paper. It's possible you heard one of the nursing home residents "going home."
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-08)
I thought about the foot steps being echoes from somewhere else, maybe from inside, but the nursing home has a tile floor and the foot steps definitely sounded like they were on pavement/the sidewalk. I have passed this place and have been disturbed by one of the residents banging on the window (maybe he had dementia?
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-08)
Hi MrMonty,

The only rational explanation I can offer is you may have heard someone in their front yard and mistaken their footsteps for being on the footpath/sidewalk. But from how you describe everything, I reckon this was what it seemed like, a ghostie.

I once encountered something like this whilst walking down the street during the day. A couple of footsteps which sounded close, not sure of direction. Then an odd 'eeee' noise, high pitched, speaking volume. The 'eee' noise seemed to come from the front yard of the house I was walking by. Nothing, no one around. That was it, normal for the rest of the walk.

We also hear footsteps and floor creaks around our house from time to time. But experiencing something out on the street is somehow different to in your home.

I felt the house I walked by had everything to do with what happened. Maybe the same is true for the nursing home that day, a former resident perhaps.

Cool encounter, thanks for sharing. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: