You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Grandpa's Bar

Real Ghost Stories

My Grandpa's Bar

 

Both of my grandpa's died before I was born (I'm 21 at the moment) so I never knew them. I've only seen pictures. We've had an old bar (if you call it something else in other countries - you keep alcohol behind it, and hang glasses from it, etc) in the family for a while now. My mother tells me it belonged to her father when he was a young man. It's really old and beautiful, but we always kept it hidden away under the house because we never had the room for it. It gathered dust and became quite horrible.

When I was about eleven my parents retrieved it from under the house, dusted it, and polished it, etc, until it was beautiful again. They placed it in the dining room to show it off. That night I was eating dinner at the dining table. I looked up at the bar and saw a shadowy figure of a man, running his hands along the surface of the bar as though pleased with it. It was gone before my eyes had time to focus on what I had seen, and the imprint seemed etched into my eyes.

I was shocked and didn't tell anyone what I had seen. But I think it might have been my grandpa. I can't be sure, as I have never seen him in real life... But the clothes, hair, glasses etc seemed like the ones I had seen in photos. The fact that it was not JUST shadow, but I remember it clothed, etc, really sticks in my mind.

What do you think? I have a few other experiences that I will post soon.

Other hauntings by rottenyouth

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rottenyouth, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

crashacton (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-18)
your granddad seems pretty satisfied by what you have done. I'm guessing he was showing his appreciation for you restoring it.
radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-28)
As a woodworker, I found this one very touching. The amount of care and detail that gets poured into a favored piece of woodcraft by an artisan should form some sort of bond beyond just the physical realm. I'm sure he was very satisfied to have his treasure returned to family use.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
rottenyouth: Like yourself my Grandad had his own bar in his home also, he built it and was his pride and joy. I have felt his presence and heard glasses being moved around it aswell. Definitely seems as though he is appreciative of what your family has done for the bar and for him. Great story.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
chopis (78 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
Most likely it was your granpa:)
Lovely story,
Thanks for sharing,

Claudia
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
It must have made your grandfather very happy to see his bar in use once more, and to see an item of his being enjoyed by the family. Seeing you all using his bar probably made him feel that he was still involved in everyone's lives. A very sweet story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: