You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man In The Cemetery

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In The Cemetery

 

My story isn't actually my story, but that of my best friend Margaret. It is so perplexing that we haven't been able to find an explanation, but I wanted to share it here.

Margaret goes every Saturday to lay flowers on the memorial to her mother in the local crematorium grounds. Nearby to this spot she always used to notice another small stone with names on, but until this particular day she had never paid it much attention. Margaret visited the crematorium one month ago to lay flowers as usual. When she stood up and turned round, there was a middle-aged man in a checked shirt standing smiling, so she engaged him in conversation. He said that his name was Michael and pointed to the small stone nearby, mentioning that he came every Saturday to leave flowers on the combined memorial to his mother-in-law and wife - 'Anita and Jenny'. He seemed knowledgeable about the cemetery and told my friend to visit the grave of Max Miller while she was there. Then he said he had to leave and walked away.

Curious, my friend walked over to the stone near her mother's to see the memorial to 'Anita and Jenny' for herself. Firstly she noted that there were no fresh flowers on the grave, only some very old plastic tulips. Then she read the inscription on the stone. It read 'In loving memory of Anita and Jenny' and then underneath that 'And loving son-in-law, Michael.'

She has gone back every Saturday since and never met Michael again. There are still no fresh flowers on the grave. We can only assume that she actually did see a ghost, one who perhaps hadn't yet accepted that he was dead. It still makes my hair stand up on my arms when I think of her experience in the cemetery.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ginny, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

IrishGuy (30 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-13)
Hi ginny, you said the man michael appeared at the grave of Anita, Jenny and Michael but to quote from your story you said "he seemed knowledgeable about the cemetery and told my friend to visit the grave of Max Miller while she was there" I'm just wondering if there is any connection between the man Michael and Max Miller.
ginny (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-06)
Max Miller was indeed buried at the Downs Crematorium and that is where my friend had her experience. But it wasn't his grave that the man 'Michael' appeared at, but the grave of 'Anita, Jenny and Michael.'

I really like the suggestion of placing flowers on their grave and will suggest this to my friend.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-29)
Hmmm... Max Miller could be a good friend of Michael. I think he has not yet accepted the fact that he is no longer alive and was bound here on earth. I agree with the rest of the guys here to place fresh flowers on the grave or replace the old plastic tulips with a new one. It will make the spirit happy. Who knows, it might help him cross over, seeing that someone is kind enough to remember his loved ones.

IrishGuy (30 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
Nice and interesting story. Max Miller was britains top comedian of the 30's,40's and 50's.He is buried in Downs creamatorium Brighton East Sussex England. Could you post the name of the creamatorium your friends mother is buried in? I'm just wondering could he be the Max Miller that Michael was refering to?
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
I have to agree with James (my partners name as a matter of fact:) )

Some investigation and a sketch of the man she saw would be interesting to say the least.

[at] troyarn if you haven't something nice/constructive to say could you please not post.
radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-28)
Add my vote for a fresh bouquet or newer artificial flowers for them, if it's not too dear for your friend's circumstances. It might even be a helpful thing for her own grieving process.
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
This is a really interesting story, and as someone who has had a very similar experience, I do not doubt your friend's encounter was paranormal. I like the others' ideas about bringing flowers and also getting a drawing of the man's face. Could you please ask her to explain a little more about who Max is? Otherwise, this is a nice story.

This comment from troyarn is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
Interesting story Ginny, I'm curious to know who Max Miller was and what his part in this story is?. To see a full apparition like the one your friend described I think is incredibly rare and she was very lucky to have witnessed it. Love to hear more.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Pinkzilla (35 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
That is great advice from James. Let us know what you find out and good luck!

:0)
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+4
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
Ginny--My two cents: If your friend is curious to pursue the matter a bit further, perhaps she can draw from memory the face and figure of Michael. If his surname and deathdate are on the tombstone, city records, newspapers at the library, and/or phone book might provide information and possibly a matching image.
It wouldn't be amiss to check Max's information, too. Maybe he was a pal (or villain). I think Michael and his loved ones deserve afresh bouquet, too, once in awhile. ~ James
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
14 years ago (2010-08-25)
ginny: First of all, I'd like to say: I love your screen name! 😆...This is an interesting account... However I'm confused... Is the grave of Max Miller the same as the one for Anita and Jenny?...

I can't be sure she saw a manifestation, but it would be cool... I suggest she take some fresh flowers to them the next time she visits... If this was an apparition, I'm sure he'd be thankful that someone was kind enough to do so... The memorial may not be visited by anyone anymore, and he noticed her there with all of her visits...

Plese keep us posted...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: