You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Cemetery Witch

Real Ghost Stories

Cemetery Witch

 

I'm still around! I thought I would share some other experiences in my home town when I was a preteen. For those who don't know, I grew up in a town in rural Connecticut. The village I live in is relatively small. When I was a preteen, there was minimum to no actual crime in the town. My family lives pretty much scattered through out the village and then in the next town over. And while it was quite a walk, I used to go over my cousin's house pretty much every weekend, because I had nothing to do at home.

Now, for reference, my cousin's house is explained in my ouija story. I would go over there during the day, but almost always go home at night because I could not, for the life of me, sleep comfortably in that house. But that's a whole other story, which you can read on here.

Anyways, My cousin's house is down in the valley of the town. The valley is the home of a man made pond called Knife Shop. The reason it's called such was that it was made specifically to help power a large knife company that once resided in my home town, long before I was born. This knife company was eventually bought out, and as explained in other stories I've told more recently, the last standing building of the knife shop is in my back yard. Though now I'm a tad off topic.

The knife shop was taken down, and a majority of my town is actually state parks, though not listed. As a kid, I used to love going and exploring the woods with my cousins on the weekends. We almost always found an old section of the knife shop's foundation and made a little hut in it, or we played on or in the giant waterfalls that were once used to power the shop. There were many occasions when my cousins and I would be playing in the woods, then follow a path up around the waterfalls and we'd end up in the Cemetery. My town has a very, very small cemetery that is split in two pieces, the old part and the new. We always ended up in the old part. I was never comfortable walking around in the old cemetery.

Onto the actual point in all of this; my cousins and I popped out of the woods one day, around noon, and started to walk the driveway of the cemetery back to the road. Halfway there, we stopped and found a turtle that had been crushed. But it wasn't on the road, it was on a head stone. So we sort of freaked out and left.

Unfortunately, in order for me to get home, I had to walk back past the cemetery to go up the large hill where my house was. Around four or five, I started my hike home. As I was passing the cemetery, I saw a woman standing in the middle of the headstones watching me. She was definitely NOT alive. I could see through her, it's hard to explain what she looks like. She had long wiry hair and a sneer on her face. She was in clothes probably from the 1800s. I actually froze on the grass next to the road and couldn't move for a moment or two. Then she cackled. I stood frozen and quiet for a moment before I booked it. I've got to say that I never ran the mile when I was in school, I always walked it, but I ran a mile, up hill, to my house and got there in under 10 minutes.

Now, in my mid twenties, I go down to the cemetery to pay my respects to my grandparents, my cousin and then I go into the old part of the cemetery to pay my respects to all of my relatives buried in there. I have not seen that woman since, nor have any more dead animals shown up in the cemetery. I genuinely don't know why or who would've done any of that to bring about something as sinister as that woman. I can say very, very confidently, that she radiated evil. And when I walk through the old cemetery now, I actually avoid the headstones where she stood.

This was definitely the scariest experience of my life. Even though I have, more recently, begun to work on my mediumship, as I am sensitive to the other side. I have yet to experience another spirit as terrifying.

Other hauntings by bresys

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bresys, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-14)
A good point, Curious Dee. I pondered suggestion announcing your presence and intentions at the gate of the cemetery somehow.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-14)
Hi there Bresys,

I really don't have much to add that hasn't been covered. I just had a thought regarding the woman you saw... Is it possible she saw you as a threat to the cemetery (because of previous damage caused by teenagers)? Perhaps she put on her best 'game face' to scare you away, thinking you were associated with the vandals. Just a different perspective anyway.

I'm glad you didn't let that stop you from paying your respects and visiting the cemetery.

Thanks for sharing ❤
Dee
bresys (9 stories) (16 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-08-13)
Melda & RCRuskin -

I believe the turtle was in the general area where the apparition was. When I saw her from the road, there's a bit of a hill between the road and the particular headstones, I couldn't see exactly where she was coming from. But I feel strongly that the dead turtle had something to do with her. It's really unfortunate but teenagers come into the cemetery all the time and knock over old head stones and do some pretty crazy things. I only imagine that a group must've done something.

I am very on edge even now when I enter the cemetery and go near the place where the witch appeared. But I've recently, in the past few years, become so close to my family line, and so many of them are actually buried in that cemetery, that I now always feel protected and safe there.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-13)
bresys - Your childhood sounds really wonderful, doing things that kids should do without all the modern technology. I'm so happy that I grew up without a TV, cellphone and all the other paraphernalia that kids have nowadays. TV only hit South Africa in 1975 because unfortunately in this country we were "protected" from all the other nasty countries 😨😭 However that was politics - another ugly word that doesn't belong on YGS.

A crushed turtle? How truly awful. Who would want to do such a horrific thing? I repeat RCRuskin's question: Was the turtle at the same headstone as the scary apparition?

I don't know what it was that you saw but obviously it scared the living daylights out of you.

I have always been fascinated by cemeteries and have visited many, including some very, very old ones and have always only felt a sense of peace.

Perhaps it's just my state of mind when I enter a cemetery and yours when you visit your passed relatives now?

If I were you I'd go back to where I saw the "witch" and the turtle and try to pick up on the vibes there.

Regards, Melda
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-12)
Just want to ask for clarification, and apologies if I missed hit detail in your story, but was the crushed turtle on a headstone near where the witch appeared?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: