You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Thing In The Woods

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing In The Woods

 

When I was young, we lived in this tiny "town". It had three streets, two street lights, and about 50 homes. All of the town kids would get together and play pick up games of baseball and such during the summer months. This particular evening, after the sun went down, we decided to play laser tag. There were about 10 of us, and all of us had our own set of tag vests and laser guns. We basically took over one section of the town and would run through the yards and hide behind garages... Anything we wanted to do.

We split into five teams of two - I was with my step-brother at the time, Ryan. As I mentioned earlier, there were three main streets in this town and lots of alley ways. One of the streets was the eastern most and it was bordered by a marsh and woods on one side and homes on the other. Ryan and I were running down this street, thinking we had seen one of the other teams running through a yard. We were going to block them in and shoot them so Ryan and I split up - he went west and I stayed on the eastern road bordering the woods.

This is a scary road at night. The houses are a little dilapidated on the left and the woods on the right have some ruins of old farm houses scattered throughout. The marsh attracted a lot of frogs and other animals so it was always loud.

I continued walking along and soon became distracted with cracking twigs and leaves in the woods. My heart started to race but I was frozen in fear. I just couldn't move. I looked to my right and there was an old dead tree and I swore that I saw movement behind the trunk. I stared, waiting for it to move again. I saw the dark, tall figure lean its head around the trunk of the tree. I could not see any features in detail because it was night time but I could make out the dark solid figure. It was standing upright. This told me it was time to leave!

I ran home and stayed inside the rest of the night. I didn't even bother to tell my step-brother. He later came in mad because I had abandoned him.

Today, I wonder if this was the same thing that chased my dad. I have posted that story as well.

Other hauntings by BearsEatBeets

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BearsEatBeets, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-12)
Thanks for posting! I would not doubt it if this thing was similar to what stalked me through the woods one night (See my only account posted so far). The thing coming towards me was HEAVY judging by the sound it made on the forest floor, and was also walking on two legs. I've never seen a person turn such a shade of white as the friend I had with me. I really wish I would have stayed to see it's face...
Some day I will return and try to figure out what it was.
You mention you were near a marsh- that is the same type of area I was in. Full of wildlife, too... If you read this, can you recall any other details about the area?
Nighthingale23 (60 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-07)
yikes! 😨 yes, I would've ran like hell too. Lol Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we do live in a strange little world.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-06)
Oh LouSlips 😆, how I wish I had been there to help you battle that alien-child-warrior! Man, that war cry would have FREAKED me out!

Please excuse the interruption to your page, BearsEatBeets. But the explanations from both Lou and Granny DO seem rather plausible.
Thank you.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
BearsEatBeets: I think what Lou was trying to say is, it could have been somebody peeing behind a tree and you caught him! 😆 ❤
BearsEatBeets (5 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
To be more specific - the woods were only a few strides from the edge of the road.
BearsEatBeets (5 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
I can't really say if it was "human" but it was definitely "humanoid". It was very tall, over 6 feet judging by where its head was placed against the tree. I could make out the shoulder area too. It was basically like someone looking around a tree.
Wysteria (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
Could you tell if the figure was human?

If you can, there might be some strange mishap inluding that tree, you might want to search it if you could.

Stay safe! 😊
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
One night I went to visit some friends. They lived in an old house in a run down section of town bordering the woods and a marsh. We were sitting around having a few brews and...well, nature called. My buddy's girlfriend was using the bathroom, so I decided to slip outside and use the woods. I crossed the road and found a good sized tree to hide behind just in case a car came down the road and shined its lights though the area. I was just about to take a leak, when I heard the footfalls of someone or something moving quickly down the road. Oh great, some dogwalker or jogger must be coming. I looked toward the road and saw what appeared to be the silhouette of a kid, but this was no ordinary kid. In his hands was a shiny and brightly colored gun. He appeared to have some kind of communication device on his head and he had a shiny chest plate... Likely to ward off enemy attacks. He approached slowly as he neared my location. Although this creature appeared to be a kid he was rather menacing... I certainly did not want to get shot... And certainly did not want to be found dead in my current level of exposure. As he got closer, I lost sight of him because of the tree between us and stayed behind the tree for several minutes wondering where this deranged alien-monster-child could be. After a short prayer and a gut check, I slowly leaned out from behind the tree... To my terror, he was standing in the middle of the road, gun drawn, staring right at me! Just as I acknowledged that my time had come to leave this earth, the being lowered its weapon, let out a blood-curdling war cry (very similar to that of a seven year old girl), peed its pants and ran. Seeing my opportunity, I sprinted back across the road (avoiding the puddle) to the house and burst through the door. I told my friends about the alien-child-warrior, no doubt from some futuristic, war-mongering planet, who would soon be calling home to unleash its evil hordes on us all... But they did not believe me... No matter how much I tried to convince them.

But someday, when it is dark, and you are all alone,... When you hear the soft footfalls from behind you and smell its foul released bladder... You will come to realize that the lasertag monster is real my friends...very, very real.

Lou
BearsEatBeets (5 stories) (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-05)
There wasn't one right beside it. The street light was one street over. Though the sun was down, it wasn't completely pitch black. You could still see because your eyes adjust to the amount of light... Thus why we thought we saw another team running through a yard in the first place.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-04)
Two street lights... After the sun went down. Where was the light source coming from that you saw this Being by?
Wado (Thank you).

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: