You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

Real Ghost Stories

Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

 

My story begins on a first nations reserve in Saskatchewan, Canada. My grandparents owned a house that was originally a duplex but turned into one big house. Let me tell you, this house was CREEEEEEPY.

First of all, it was right beside this church/graveyard which both seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. Little things would always happen here. This house also used to be what appeared to be a school, because in the basement was a chalkboard and desks that were never taken out.

One day, while playing in said basement with my cousins we all decided to rush upstairs and go for a bite to eat. I had forgotten to grab my coat, so halfway down the stairs I notice this hole in the wall straight ahead, lined in red. I don't recall ever seeing it before, but it scared the crap out of me so I ran right back upstairs without my coat.

But to what I really wanted to address, an experience I had one night while everybody was out. I must have been around 10 years old and I was lying in a bed across from my brother who was sleeping in the same room. I laid there for a quite a while, tossing and turning, knowing I wasn't tired at all. I would roll around and much to my surprise; I rolled towards my brother's bed only to see a glowing green light pulsating beneath his bed. I didn't want to say a word, and what happened afterwards definitely shut my mouth.

I always said that the voice I heard reminded me of a pirate. It was low, scratchy and sounded like it was used for stubbing out cigarettes. "Are you afraid of the dark?" it said in the most sinister voice you could think of, followed by the darkest laugh you could possibly imagine. That was about all I heard from it, and thank god because I would have been petrified if I had to hear anymore. I escaped it all quickly when I heard my cousin rustling in the kitchen; I jumped out of there like a wet cat and slept in my cousin's room for the rest of the night.

Do I feel bad for leaving my brother in there with no idea what was going on? Yeah I do. Do I have any idea what the hell happened? No and I don't want to know.

Since then the house was condemned by the nearby church and boarded up and covered in graffiti and is now just a memory as it has been torn down and now provides a small patch of land for the school yard that has been built.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Magnifishit, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zaphodscotsman (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-29)
I'm not actually afraid of the dark, BUT, I still sleep with a nightlight, before you ask why, well, I'm actually creeped out by shapes the dark makes. For example, my covers would resemble a monster. Luckily, I knew better than to be scared of it, but I eventually grew tired of it, so I started using a nightlight.
Magnifishit (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-03)
cosmogal926, there's tons and tons of stories that have been thrown around this particular house and many other places around this location. I guess I could speak on behalf of family members but I'd be writing a hell of a lot of stories!

Joojoodolly, I don't recall much of an accent, but the voice did sound like an old man's voice. A really old man.

Oh and to the last comment, my username is the title of a song from Skinny Puppy's album Mythmaker.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
p.s where did you get your profile name? Am surprised it got allowed know it won't allow it in a reply with out adding an a near the end
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
wow magnifishiat great first post that would have been freaky and scary and to be honest I would be the same brother asleep leave em! No its not nice but its true get out of there! Thanks for posting 😆
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
Amibear, could you do us all a favor and stop spamming people's stories with plugs for your own completely unrelated experience? Thanks. I don't believe a word you've said in your story now because I can see that you're just looking for attention.

Anyway, to the author: there was probably a lot of activity going on around that house because of the residual energy from what used to be there before. It sounds like the house had a lot of history to it... A school house and then a duplex? It might have been a better idea to bulldoze the whole thing and rebuild. The hole lined in red light -- that's a weird one. I've never heard of that kind of thing before. A gateway or portal maybe? The voice you heard under your brother's bed sounds pretty scary too. I think it might have been a mischievous spirit just trying to freak you out.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
I don't blame you. Hearing a creepy pirate sounding voice ask me if I was afraid of the dark would have sent me bolting out of the room too. Did your brother or grandparents ever experience anything? Thanks for sharing this with us. 😊
Amibear (3 stories) (62 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
... Hey guys. Sorry but I wonder if you would like my story 'My War Visitor' I hope you read it:) like I said on my first comment, this is some scary shiznit as the kids off grownups would say;) good luck 🤔
Joojoodolly (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
That's strange... I wonder why it only ever visited you once? And what was the accent like? Sorry, I'm prying:$
juju92 (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
yeah I'm sure it was scary and overwellming wish you luck... Take care
Magnifishit (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
Maybe it was all in my mind but it seemed a little too crazy for just mind tricks. It was all too real and I could hear it loud and clear and it couldn't have been me being half awake, I could move and curl myself up like a baby and I jet out of there right when I heard my cousin outside of the room.

I don't know what to think! It was scary as hell though.
Amibear (3 stories) (62 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-02-28)
Is that was real it was pretty scary. Sounds like somehthing from a horror film. I've recently submitted an experience which happened in my old room, maybe you could look out for it:) good luck and god bless xx
juju92 (2 stories) (41 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-02-28)
hey. I don't think that's a ghost or a monster. Like you said. You where 10 and every body afraid of darks by that age maybe your mind made that up. This is paraphsicology which is your mind making things unbeleivable thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: