You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Seeing Creepy Things At Night

Real Ghost Stories

Seeing Creepy Things At Night

 

Ever since I was in college, I have been seeing strange and sometimes creepy things at night when I am in bed. It's not sleep paralysis, because I am able to move around. Some might call them hypnagogic hallucinations (vivid perceptual experiences occurring at sleep onset) and hypnopompic hallucinations (similar experiences but occurring at awakening). I think it might be something else. I believe that when we are between awake and asleep we can sometimes see things that are normally closed off to us. Also, when these things happen, I am not afraid until I see something that doesn't belong.

The first time it happened I was in bed and I awoke suddenly to see something that looked like a monstrously large spider dangling from the ceiling. I actually threw my sheet at it and there was nothing there. The next time I saw a person, about three feet tall, standing in the doorway to my bedroom. It was just watching me and then it suddenly moved forward towards me. I turned my bedside light on and it vanished.

Another night I was laying in bed and had not yet gone to sleep. I was looking around the room and I saw my cat Rocky jump up on the dresser. He was walking back and forth across it. This is not creepy in and of itself as he does this quite often. However, it soon become rather unsettling when I looked at the end of my bed and he was curled up fast asleep! I kept looking from him to the "cat" on the dresser expecting the other "cat" to vanish, but it was still there for several minutes. It did finally fade away.

Not too long after that I awoke in the middle of the night, rolled over on my back and came face to face with someone hovering over top of my bed. Needless to say I screamed and turned on the light. It vanished. A couple nights after than I awoke and rolled over and saw a person hanging by the neck and swinging from the archway in my bedroom.

It seems like the more scared I was the more frequently I would experience things. Once I stopped being afraid, I stopped seeing them as often. It kind of makes me think that something was purposely trying to creep me out and keep from getting a good night's rest. What do you guys think?

Other hauntings by clever210

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, clever210, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-11)
I forgot to update this! Mark told me recently that the night after I had seen that thing on his side of the bed, he woke up suddenly. He said his side of the bed was freezing cold and he had a very unsettling feeling. He did not see anything, but he felt like something wasn't right. It totally creeped him out! 😨
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
Update: So my husband and I tried recording at night while we were asleep. I'm going to have to try recording in a room other than the one we are sleeping in, because the only think we captured was the duet of our snoring! It was so funny, but not quite what we were hoping for.
πŸ˜†
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-19)
I've ordered a digital recorder to try my hand at getting some EVP's. I may come up with nothing, but if I get anything I will post an update. 😁
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
granny, Mark did not see anything. He was sleeping quite soundly. I asked him if he remembered anything about it and he said that I had said, "Mark, is that you are you okay?". I remember feeling like something else was in bed with me, but I couldn't remember what I said to him. After that, I just went back to sleep, but it sure creeped me out! It may have been that it was leaning over him staring at me. It happens so fast when I see things. But I will never forget that face. 😨
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
clever: Thanks for the creepy update... What the heck did you do?...I think I would have had to wake my hubby, just to change the bed clothes! πŸ˜†...Did Mark have any idea it was there, was he sleeping deeply, or did it seem like he was aware?...So many questions LOL! πŸ˜†
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
I also can feel what other people are feeling. I used to think there was something wrong with me. Then I found out I was empathic. I usually know what it is that someone needs to help them feel better. I consider it to be a gift, though sometimes it can seem like a curse when I am having to sort through all of the crappy negative stuff I can pick up. I seem to be able to take some of the pain people are going through. I have to be careful when doing that, that I am able to let it go and not hold on to it. It's one of the reasons that I don't like to be in crowds. Makes me emotionally drained. I have a feeling all of my weird abilities will wind up working together somehow, but I haven't figured out how.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Wow clever now I am pretty convinced that you have a gift. I am the same way I'm always telling people when I see them drop money, or even a glove. I chased a man for 2 blocks once because I saw his wallet fall out of his jacket. LOL! πŸ˜†

That was pretty weird how your allergy medicine was exactly the same amount you received for returning the wallet. You were rewarded for your good karma 😊
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
cosmogal, I did have that one time not too long ago where I felt my cat Bill grab my ankle when I was walking around the sofabed. Then he came running out of the back room! Needless to say, I did not look under the sofabed to see if anything was there. That's the only time anything physically touched me. As far as other odd things, there was one day when I went to Kroger in the morning and on the way to my car started thinking about what I would do if I found someone's wallet and whether I would be tempted to keep it. That night I went back to the store with a friend and lo and behold... There was a wallet lying in the parking lot. (I did do the right thing and called them. When the person came to get it they gave me $60 even though I told them I didn't want it. It was the exact amount I needed to by my allergy medicine.)
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Hi clever, I'm so sorry I missed your story when it posted 😒.

Ok, I totally agree with you about being able to see and feel supernatural things when we are in the state between asleep and awake. I have experienced things during this time as well. I think you have a gift of the third eye which opens at this particular time allowing you to see things of the past, present, and or future. Being scared of these images is triggering a defense mechanism and closing that sense off.

No doubt some of the things you have seen are really creepy especially the one you saw recently 😨 Besides seeing these images, do you ever experience any other type of activity?
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Update: Last night I woke up to see this super freaky looking thing kneeling next to my husband's side of the bed. It was looking right at me. I put the covers over my eyes and when I looked again it was gone. It had long stringy, frazzled looking hair. There were no eyes, just black holes. It made me think of a creepy scarecrow. It had the most horrific look on it's face. The mouth was open and there were no teeth. 😨
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Way to have a lighthearted take to the situation! If the ghost wants something, make them earn it! 😊
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Stuff tends to happen more if I let it bother me. I have learned to just go back to sleep. I figure if something wants something, it needs to stop trying to scare the crap out of me. That is not the way get on my good side. πŸ˜†
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Sounds like you got a keeper on your hands. Support is exactly what you need when this is going on and that's great to hear he is helping you deal with it. You may never get to the point where you can just blow the situation off, but hopefully you can get to the point where you can deal with it and figure out why it is bothering you.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Thanks for reading! No, Mark has never seen anything at all. He believes me, though. It's nice to have the support, since it makes one think they may be going nuts.
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
After meeting you on the other thread I had to come here and read your stories you posted, and this is really creepy. You mentioned being married, has your husband experienced anything? If he has, at least you know that it's not just trying to mess with you, but others as well. Also, you two can discuss how you want to handle the situation. Thanks for sharing and good luck and be safe! 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Thanks Martin, I was worried about my two oldest daughters being middle aged, not a good feeling at my age!

Jav
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Martin - well crap, I'm still middle aged πŸ˜†. Will you fix it so I can change my age in my profile and lie? πŸ˜‰ Just kidding, I'm good!
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Awesome! I didn't mean to be critical. I still have a hard time thinking of myself as an adult though.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+5
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
OK guys I fixed the age brackets. The definition of middle age can vary a lot, and academic books would say it starts after 30, but I understand that the popular understanding is different, so I modified it to be after 40, which makes me happy because I'm also back to "young adult". πŸ˜†
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
First of all I have to agree with you on the age thing, when my story posted I saw middle aged & thought "wait a minute!"

That is an interesting theory you have about seeing on the edge of sleep, it could be so, especially for people who are able to relax around bedtime. Though if that is so it complicates things because we have brain scans & such showing what looks like dreaming or hallucinating when people are seeing things at those times. It would make it hard to determine what was a dream & what was real, something we already struggle with at times on an individual basis. Your idea that "it" was trying to frighten you, presumably for the fun of it, is also sound. I suppose other possiblities are that your fear attracted scary things, that there was negative energy in the residence that your mind protected you from when you refused to be afraid, or maybe they were "just" hallucinations. It is interesting that some of the apparitions were overtly frightening, while others were ambiguous & the cat one just perplexing. In my opinion that rules out a strictly malevolent entity, but raises the question, was it something with a somewhat sick sense of humor, several things of varying degrees of ill-intent, or something trying to send you a confusing message? Interesting story, with lots to consider.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Aprilsnanny35 Thats too funny!πŸ˜†

Ahwatukee
I will tell my 3 year old son next time NOT to talk to his Mamere Bea (my grandmother) because she is a demon and to run away. I'm sure that won't scare him...right? 😨
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Trix: Thanks for the comments! I live in a trailer that I bought brand new and it is located in a park. I don't know anything about the land, other than it's been used as a trailer park since the 1960's. The town I live in is known for having lots of native american artifacts (arrow heads and such). I do not see anything during the day, I only get "vibes". I am an empath and only figured that out about a year ago or so. I am a christian and so I do not let things like these trouble me, because I know my God is able to keep me safe. (Not preaching... Just my belief.)

I know what you mean about not understanding why some people are on this site. This is not a site for proselytizing.
ngute80 (220 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Ahwatukee-
Are you familiar with 1Samuel 28:7-9? The story where Saul has a medium summon Samuel from the grave?

1Samuel 13 The king said to her, "don't be afraid, what do you see"? The woman said, "I see a ghostly figure coming up out of the earth."

Of course there are other translations, but the story is the same. My point is we could throw around scriptures all day but this is a ghost website, not a religious one. I'm a Christian myself, but I have enough respect for others on here to not shove religion in their face. And I respect everyone's belief system. We can all be open to learn while still standing firm in what we believe.
Nancy
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
I almost forgot. This is just something to think about. You are 31 but actually you are just 20 with 11 years of experience. Remember age is earned. Enjoy your life and stay young. Trix. πŸ˜‰
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Hi clever210, this is very scary experiences you have. Wow you are really a strong person to still sleep alone and fight this events happening to you. Do you know any history about the place you stay and do these things' follow you around when you're not at home? You're definitely open to the paranormal. Did you ever tried to put down ground rules to these entities?
I don't know why people like Ahwatukee always tries to talk on a site where they won't agree or believe anything the others are talking about. I just feel if you don't believe in ghosts then let it be because nobody will convince me that it was from an evil source from where little Neelsie came back to say goodbye to me. The Bible shouldn't be brought in this way because to us as humans it is just a guideline. The Bible is a Christians' tool to use and gain wisdom from God and to bring us nearer to Him but yet there are many scriptures missing and many other things that God keeps away from us and it will be revealed to us on the end. Everybody is able to see the difference between good and evil sometimes we just need a little help from others to clear it up. Take care. Trix.
πŸ˜‰ ❀
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Ahwatukee: I will be sure to let my dear departed Gran know, next time she comes to hold my hand that she is now a demon! She will be most disappointed. πŸ˜•
Sorry, each to their own, but I just can't agree with that statement.

Wishing you well.
BeautifullyScarred (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
That is a truly amazing and very creepy story. I really don't know what to say to help... But I love the story:) I hope everything stops so you can rest. Although it does seem like these things are intending to scare you. Keep praying hun.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
One more thing... I noticed that it says I am middle aged. I am not middle aged. At least I don't consider 31 middle aged. πŸ˜•
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Thanks for the comments! Lynrinth, no I do not live in Alton. I live in the Cincinnati area. My experiences have taken place in several towns in Ohio. I did not post my experiences from when I was living in a dorm. Those were very creepy too.
I woke up one night and I saw something moving around my room. I was not paralyzed, but I was scared to death. Whatever it was, it didn't feel friendly and it didn't like me. It eventually faded away. I wouldn't tell what it was, because the room was very dark.
The other event was even scarier for me, because it was auditory. I was trying to fall asleep and every time I would close my eyes I would hear this unearthly growling coming from the end of my bed (I was on the top bunk). It didn't sound like any animal I have ever heard (and no it was not my roommate snoring!LOL). It happened six times and after that I got out of bed, left the room, and paced the hallway for a few minutes. I prayed about it and then went back to bed. I fell asleep right away and immediately had a dream that I was laying in bed and could see the thing that was tormenting me. It was this small creature on two legs about six inches tall. In my dream, when I saw it I laughed and said, "You are what's been bothering me? You are nothing. You can't harm me." When I said this, it shrank in size and ran off squealing like a pig. I woke up and felt very much at peace and was able to go back to sleep and it hasn't happened since.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Ummmmm

Question...

God does not allow human beings to wander the earth after death?

This question, Debate / Argument has always intrigued me and I'd like to ask something about it...

I understand 1 Corinthians: 15 51-53

"51) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52) In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53) For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."

I understand that Christ appeared to his Followers in his 'Resurrected Form' as he was 'Perfected' and returned to live with HIS Father in Heaven.

No problems so far... But where do our Spirits go until the Final Trump sounds calling us to Judgment?

Our 'Spirits / Soul' is immortal, so just what are you saying when you state (Quoted) "...God does not allow human beings to wander the earth after death?" Or perhaps I should put that as a question...

Where does our 'Soul' go until the Final Trump Sounds?

MY OPINION is this...

They become...Ghosts...hanging out in Spirit form on the Physical Plane.

They become Spiritual Teachers/Protectors...teaching other Spirits on the Spiritual Plane or Visiting Mortals on the Physical Plane and guiding/instructing/protecting them.

Or, last but not least... They 'take another ride' on the mortal 'train' or if you prefer I'll use the Term Reincarnation.

These are MY OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY REFLECT THOSE OF THE MANAGEMENT.

Respectfully,

Rook

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: