You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Freaky Life 3

Real Ghost Stories

My Freaky Life 3

 

About 5 years ago, me, my fiancé and my daughter moved into a semi attached

Town house in Parow, Cape Town. The place's name was Ryan's Place; a lovely place it was indeed. It was newly renovated. In the main bedroom was a huge built-in white cupboard, from roof to floor.

It looked like it was part of the cupboard, but if you opened the middle doors, it walked into an ensuite. I always tried to avoid the ensuite, I don't know why. It just felt creepy when I was inside. Outside the main bedroom door, was the passage. A straight passage, one half of the floor was tiling, the other half yellow wood.

The house had a electricity box where you had to go and buy electricity at the shop. Near the place was a 7/11 cafe and we went there to buy electricity. When my fiancé told the lady that we just moved into this place, she asked where it is, and her assistant told her that it is that 'dead place' io Ryan Street. When my fiancé asked her what she meant, she just shook her head.

The first night after I went to sleep, I heard footsteps in the passage. It was loud, because of the wood floor. I didn't go to look, because I knew it was not my fiancé, who was in bed next to me fast asleep, and my daughter was only 2 years old and she was sleeping and these footsteps were of a person with heavy shoes on.

Later on I got used to hearing strange noises and footsteps while we were sleeping. One night I woke to a very strange growling sound. It sounded as if someone was dying of pain or something, but this noise was very very strange!

I just lay there, and thought to myself 'Oh no, another ghost' and went back to sleep.

I am not a scared person; it will take a lot to freak me out.

One day I was alone in the kitchen, and I saw a black shadow in the passage. It was in the form of a person, but no person, only the shadow. I said aloud 'be gone Satan!' and the shadow moved away like the speed of light, and the next moment I heard a loud 'bang' like something falling, and it was gone.

A week later I came home early from work, and went to my bedroom. On my cupboard were red spots that looked like very dark red paint that was splattered there. When my fiancé came home I showed it to him and he said it looks like blood to him. No one could understand how it got there. It was only on the 2 cupboard doors that lead into the ensuite.

One day I was taking a nap on my bed. I was still awake when I heard something come into the room. All of a sudden I could not move. It was like I was paralyzed. This thing jumped on the bed and sat on my feet. It felt like a little dog, but I could be wrong.

Then it walked on my legs and sat on my back, it even put its nose in my hair and then made itself comfortable in the back of my neck. Al this time my eyes were open but I could not move or see anything, because I lay on my stomach with my head to the other side. About 5 minutes later, I could move again and the thing was gone. I tried to sleep again, and this time I heard a child's voice in the room with me. She was singing a song.

She went to my makeup table and sat down on the chair. I could not see her, my head was turned away like the first time, and I could not move! After what felt like an hour, I could move all of a sudden and everything was fine again. But my pot of body cream was open, and it looked like someone's finger marks inside.

The only place in the house where I felt at peace was in my daughter's room. I often went there just to take a rest from the rest of the house.

We only lived one year there. And it was as if, the nearer it came to the end of our stay there, the stranger things got. More unexplained noises and stuff. I told my best friend that it even felt like this thing in the house does not want me to leave...

My mother never wanted to come and visit. She never said why at that time, but after we moved, she told me that she just felt very creepy inside the house. She never wanted to go into my bedroom especially, she said that it felt as if someone was either murdered there, or committed suicide.

The ensuite gave her the ultimate jitters.

I tried to find out the history of the place, but never found out anything.

How can I go to work to learn more about the history of a place?

Other hauntings by anneke8

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, anneke8, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MaryBernadette (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
I made a posting yesterday - not sure where it got to to.
But my grandfather built Ryan Place, many years back and in fact it is named after him, as is the road. My father grew up in the house/plot alongside and his spinster aunts used to live in Ryan's Place.
So, your story is of interest to me although I can't contribute to reasons why the house was an unhappy place. Unfortunately my father is no longer alive to be able to ask him.
Angelique88 (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-09)
I have lived in apTown most of my life. I do live in Kraaifontein now. I have tried to log my stor bout 30 Wrench Road, Parow but the site does not allow me to. The are also stories about Ruyerwacht (Epping). I left it on my blog until I can publish it here. Http://www.alltheinsanity.blogspot.com
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
Hi Anneke, I know you don't live at this house any more. But did you ever ask the neighbours if anything strange had happened in that house?
I know, here in South Africa, there are little, or no records at all, since our new government has taken over. Old neighbours would be your best bet at getting information.
Just curious to know.
Thanks, liefies en soentjies
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-23)
Very interesting, I will go have a look at the link
Of Psychic Experiences in SA! I want to tell my Ouma's stories yes, there is still so much I can tell...
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
Hi Anneke, I have written the story, but the site is closed at the moment. I will first see if they will accept it, if not, I will place it here.
Will you tell your stories about your Ouma? The way you put it, they sound very interesting, which means, we would all love to hear them. You write such good stories, with such conviction, that there leaves little doubt that every word is true!
I have 2 other stories on a sister site, Psychic Experiences in SA, if you would like to read them.
Lekker naweek vir julle. 😉
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
Fergie, it will take much for me NOT to believe anything!😊 I had so much weird experiences in my life, and if you think that's weird, you must hear the stories I can tell you about my grandma...
I know what you meant in that previous comment. I thought it was nogals cool that you think I can
'read your mind' 😆
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-16)
Hi Anneke, I owe you an appology! When you wrote a post, on my story, Randfontein Mine House, you said about the bathroom being just off the kitchen. Sorry, I thought you were describing my house (silly me), instead, you were telling of your boyfriends' dads' house. They sound so similar.
As far as the story of the horrible haunting of the other mine house in our street, I will really have to get my thoughts 'agter mekaar'. It was very 'far out' & might sound hard to believe! I could hardly believe it at the time! 😕 🤔
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-16)
Fergie, I would love to hear that story! If you can't publish it, write it here on the comments. I will read it!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Hi anneke, some of those 'sink-plaat' houses could even be scary to visit! I saw some of the devistation left behind after a haunting, at one of them. I wonder if YGS would let me tell that story? I was taken to see the abandoned house by my next-door neighbour at the time. 🤔
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Hi Fergie
These kind of houses is 'dotted' in certain towns indeed. Like in Goodwood in Cape Town and I am sure in the 'myndorpies'. I never was in one of those before, so I do not know how it looks 😢
But I prefer a nice modern building to LIVE in, and the old ones to VISIT 😆
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Hi Anneke, Nice story, I really enjoyed it. The houses that you and Nordic describe, sound like where I lived at Robinson Married Quarters in Randfontein, but the outside only. I would love to know who had the 'master' plan? It sounds as if these houses were dotted all over the place.
Yes, I agree, it is virtually impossible to get information like this in our country, any more.
Lekker doeds. 😊
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
Hi Nordic
Dit is so interesant, baie dankie!
It is so nice to hear from someone who actualy can give me a bit more info about the place. I often wondered if it was old houses witch they renovated or something. But the old iron houses that stood there make sense too. I never asked anyone else that lived there if they also experienced strange activity. The people next to us was always fighting with each other, so we kept mar away from them 😆
I lived in the corner unit in Ryan Street itself, closest to Voortrekkerweg. I wish SA was like in the movies, where you can go to the library and look op the history of the house, but like you said, it will be difficult, if possible...
Nice hearing from you ❤
Nordic (44 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
Hi Anneke, I grew up in Church Street, which, as you will know, is only a stone's throw from Ryan, so I know the place really well. You mentioned that it was newly-renovated when you moved in. It might have been renovated again, but I think it was constructed about 17-18 years ago when I was in high school, as I used to walk down First Avenue quite often to visit the library during that time and can recall the structure being built. I can actually still remember the corrugated iron houses that stood there. They were not only "sinkdakhuisies" -- the entire houses consisted of corrugated iron, walls and all. I remember always thinking to myself that those must have been two of the oldest houses in Parow.

The plot on which Ryan's Place is built consisted of two of those corrugated iron houses -- totally dilapidated with knee-high weeds -- and they were demolished to create Ryan's Place, which is four or so semi-detached units, if I remember correcly.

Just for interest's sake, did any of your neighbours complain of activity? I would think that any spirits would be attached to the land and/or to the very old homes that were demolished. As you probably know, it is not very easy to find records about homes in South Africa, and I really wish, when I see other posters providing assistance by saying that people should go to their libraries and look up the history, that it was that simple here. 😁

However, your best bet would probably be to go the Parow municipal building which is just across the street from Ryan's Place and try and find out the erf number for Ryan's Place, which would have a history of owners, as well as the deeds, and, by doing that, track down the owners of the corrugated iron houses, if they are still alive. Not sure whether they will be willing to tell you anything, but I would think that's the only way in which you would find out more about the place. The erf number would also provide you with the building plans, so you might be able to find out who the developers of the new building were and perhaps talk to them.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: