You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I'm Scared To Sleep There

Real Ghost Stories

I'm Scared To Sleep There

 

Ever since I was young I've been really interested in ghosts and spirits. Ever since I discovered horror movies, TV shows about ghosts and hauntings, and computer games based on true stories, I wanted to have an experience, even though I am scared of meeting, seeing or feeling an entity.

Well, that wish came true.

This all has happened to me quite recently.

I was sleeping over at my boyfriend's, and we sleep in the attic. It's been made into a guest room so it looks quite like a normal room. Since I've slept over the first time I've never felt really comfortable in this room and I've tried to ignore that feeling, but I was unsuccessful.

One of the reasons I've been feeling like I do is a random shadow I sometimes see coming from the corner of my eye and running across the room. To me, it looks like a cat or some other small pet. I remember it having 4 legs and a long tail, so I thought it was a cat. Because the family doesn't have (or had) any cats (the mom doesn't like them), I thought this was weird. They do have a dog, but he never comes up to the attic since there's a door and even though the top and bottom of it aren't closed (it's like a saloon door) he can't crawl under or jump over. It's a small dog, but the shadow was even smaller, and the dog doesn't have a tail as long as the shadow had.

I've seen this shadow a couple of times, maybe 3 times, and all in a row. Every night for 3 days I've seen it and it went from the lower right corner of the room up to the upper right corner of the room only to disappear there.

Because I stopped seeing the shadow after those 3 nights, my fear stopped, but I still didn't feel comfortable in the room. I especially didn't enjoy being there on my own because I felt like I was being watched. I never found out why I had that feeling.

About a month after I've seen that shadow, my boyfriend and I wake up in the morning. He looks pale and I ask him what's up. He looks at me and tells me he's seen something when he woke up in the middle of the night that illuminated the room next to the attic. (There's a small sort of room where the flight of stairs end and there's a desk with two computers there.) He told me it lit up suddenly, and slowly became less and less bright until it was entirely gone. He wasn't scared when he saw it, but when he woke up and realized what it may have been, it sure sent a shiver down his spine.

We never really forgot about that light but it didn't scare us anymore since it didn't attack or seem to want to cause any harm. We thought it might be friendly, or maybe it was the statue of Jesus hanging above the door that repelled it. (Neither of us believe in God or Jesus, and neither of us has ever prayed.)

The night after we went to bed and to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night (I have no idea of the exact time) and I opened my eyes. I was laying on my left side, with my back towards the spot where my boyfriend slept next to me. When my eyes focused I suddenly jumped up and unintentionally awoke my boyfriend by doing so. I clearly saw his head laying next to me when I woke up, even though I wasn't looking in his direction. His eyes were closed and he was laying on his back, as if sound asleep. When I turned to my boyfriend to find he had awoken, I wanted to show him, but the image was gone. I went back to sleep.

The exact night after, I woke up in the morning to my boyfriend playing on his phone. He looked at me and asked me if I had woken up last night in the middle of the night. I shook my head and asked him why he asked. He told me he'd seen me sitting straight up in the middle of the night, but since he thought it was just an imagination, he went back to sleep. (He's rather skeptical about ghosts.) I never woke up or sat up in the middle of the night, and I don't have a history of sleepwalking. He told me my eyes were open, and as far as I know, sleepwalkers don't go walking with their eyes open. I was genuinely scared I had been possessed for a short period of time.

Another time I went up to get my phone and I heard a voice coming from the spot in the first small part of the attic (before the door) and I asked my boyfriend if he said something. He told me he'd been in his room behind his computer and there wasn't a possibility his voice could have been coming from where I heard it coming from. I only heard this voice once.

At another time, another day (but the same weekend) my boyfriend came up the stairs and entered the room where I had been busy checking my email on my smartphone. He looked at me and asked if I said something. He said he heard me talk but didn't hear what I said. The time I've spent in the room (alone, with no one else in the house) I hadn't spoken a word. I got scared and just climbed down the stairs, carefully listening if I heard any other words.

Both of the voices we heard were female voices, and my boyfriend had told me he was certain the second one (the one he heard) was mine. I'm still not comfortable with the knowledge there might be something haunting that small part of the attic where the computers are.

For as far as I know the house hasn't got a history because it's fairly new. There never occurred a death or suicide. I have no clue if any of the former owners may have had a cat or any other pets, so I'm not sure about the cat shadow. My boyfriend did tell me when the previous owners moved, they found a dead cat in the backyard, already far decayed. Not buried or anything, just laying there.

I was less scared of the shadow than I have been of the apparition and the voices though, because my deceased father sometimes shows himself to me as a shadow to show me he's still there and watching over me. At least that's how I see it. Maybe the cat shadow is a protection of the house or room as well, I don't know. I just want to know what I may have heard in that room and why the uncomfortable feeling is still there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Caelyn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Spookymulder (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
I recently heard my dad call my name in what you would call slow motion just to fine out it wasn't him I wish I could help you and tell you why they do this but I really don't know why. By the way great story!
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
When you believe in nothing then you open your self to everything...
Sunju (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-08)
"...or it was representing "witch" since it was a black cat which could also conclude to evil..."

That's a rather poor bit of superstition. It's origins are probably ancient, but before black cats were demonized they used to represent good luck to the Celts. Considering the ridiculous amount of Church propaganda regarding Celtic beliefs, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just one more piece of Celtic symbolism mutilated in order to distance heathen views and beliefs from the day to day lives of the "converted" populace. Thankfully those converts kept practicing their Druidic way of life in secret and kept it's memory alive into the present day.

The UK isn't the only home of black cats being considered good luck. Japan also shares that superstition.

Sorry if this railroads the comments at all!
Caelyn (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
[at] PureShadow

No I do not live in that region and this happened to me in Maastricht.

[at] Hayes26

I refuse to believe it's a sign of whatever you think God is, because I myself am an athe
PureShadow (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
Hello Caelyn,

I registered on this website because of this case appealed to me. I normally don't spend much time on this sort of thing.

But I must know this, do you live in the area of Voorburg?
I recently moved to Voorburg, and I sensed (multiple) presences In this neighboorhood.
I have not yet clearly seen them all, and they do not live in the same area. But I do know that there are 2 girly presences and a cat presence closely together.

Groeten,
Michael
From the cat presence, I suspect it is my Girlfriends dead cat that drowned closely there.
Hayes26 (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-11)
Well God might had been trying to give you a message that he actually exists. God does test us. I think that the cat was there in the spirit form only because it either did not find its way to the other side or it was representing "witch" since it was a black cat which could also conclude to evil. For your boyfriend to see you awake sitting up with your eyes open, in the middle of the bed that makes me think that the cat would had been the one who had possesed you. With your boyfriend seeing the room fade with light surrounding it that could represent that God doesn't want you to waste your time so get close to the light before it's to late. The room fading away according to my own opinion represents time is vanishing and while the light is still there represents that it's best to realize that God and the beautiful light is real. Follow the light before it's too late by becoming close to Jesus Christ. I'm a Christian believer as my mom has raised me to become, and certain signs given always represent a message; as she has taught me this. 😐
YureiGuy101 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-11)
Caelyn: I'm a fan of Project Zero, so I figured tha was referring to that, as I've heard its based on a true story (though I'm sure if it was an actual real story or is artistic licence) 😁
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-10)
Oh my goodness, but an interesting story here. Usually, if you feel uncomfortable around Spiritual activity, that is a surefire sign that something is amiss. I mean, that if it were good Spirits, you wouldn't feel uneasy, you'd feel positive. It sounds to me like you are experiencing Doppelgangers. Do some research if you like on Doppelgangers.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
Ihaveseen99 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
Great story I know the feeling of never knowing who is there or what?I'm waiting on them to post my story I'm having to break it up into several parts because it's so long with so many dif things that happened. You know you should get you a voice recorder and sleep with it at night they catch things at night that you wouldn't hear why your sleeping.
Caelyn (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
YureiGuy101: I actually was referring to Fatal Frame indeed, since that game encouraged me to try to develop my abilities a little further.

Funny that you noticed! Thanks for the compliment ^^
YureiGuy101 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
when tha says "computer games based on true stories" tha wouldn't happen to be referring to Project Zero/Fatal Frame would tha?

Good story btw

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: