You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Burlington, Vt Specter

Real Ghost Stories

Burlington, Vt Specter

 

So, I'm a traveler. I've lived a lot of places, and as a result I have friends in all of them. I also keep a journal, so this is written based off the entry I had made on July 23, 2008, the morning after the event below. It was summer 2008 that I found myself homeless, as a matter of fact, and sort of living out of my van and couch-surfing with my cat, Jezz, whom I've mentioned previously. By sort-of, I mean we always had a place to park or camp, and I nearly always had access to running or fresh water and we usually could get some good food.

We had the luck of staying with a friend in Burlington, VT for a few weeks in July, as his roommates were away on break between "Summer Sessions" at Uni. Because his roommates were a bit neurotic, and my Mum and Pop raised me to respect boundaries and privacy, Jezz and I were to sleep on the living room couch. This was a nice change since we'd been hunkering down in my van for about a month, and I think she, as much as I, looked forward to something soft to lie on. We were there about a week before anything strange happened.

I was working at the laundry mat across the street, and had been racking in a fair number of hours. The owner paid cash, and most nights he brought my coworker and I a "thirty-rack" of beer. This was a Tuesday night, my buddy was out for the evening, and I was pretty tuckered (and booze-free), so I took a quick shower, scarfed some leftovers, and hunkered down on the couch for sleep. Jezz was all right with this - she hopped right up onto my legs, curled up, and slept through this whole experience.

I kept my cellphone plugged in charging next to me every night, as a nightlight and also because I had grown accustomed to not having electricity for periods and wanted my cellular to stay charged. I remember distinctly waking up to a door opening, and looking at the time on my cellular, out of pure habit - it was 4:18AM. Thinking maybe it was my buddy home after all, I called out to him and asked how his night was. No response. My eyes adjusted to the darkness, and I called his name once more after hearing light footsteps in the bedroom directly in front of my feet from where I was positioned on the couch - the "foot" of the couch was directly in front of a bedroom doorway.

I knew that the bedroom closest to me shouldn't have anyone in it, and as I thought this, I also realized that the door should be shut - it was open, wide as could be. I was about to get up when I saw a form in the doorway. I wear glasses, and am near-sighted, so anything at that distance looks fuzzy to me. Again, thinking it was my buddy, I asked what he was doing in his roommate's room - what was up? I distinctly remember having cocked my head to the side, kind of like dogs do when they "don't get it."

The form quickly flashed from the doorway to directly in front of my face - It didn't walk, it didn't glide; one second it was in the doorway, and then the next - I had in front of my eyes this long-nosed, squinty eyed THING cocked ITS head in the opposite direction, mimicking me. I don't know how long I sat there staring at it, and it at me, but after awhile I blinked and it was gone.

I flashed on all the lights, stuffed my glasses onto my face, and did a thorough look-about in the flat - no one was home. No one. Not a single living soul. Just me, and Jezz, who had remained asleep on my lap throughout the entire experience, and was quite disgruntled to be so rudely awakened. Needless to say, we didn't stay in the apartment the rest of the night. We went straight to my van.

The next day, I told my friend I was skipping out to Maine sooner than expected, and have not been back to the apartment since. I've never talked to him, or his roommates, about what I experienced, and as far as I know they still live in the same apartment, four years later. Maybe I'll wait until they talk to me about it:)

Other hauntings by reddysteady

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Vermont

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, reddysteady, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Elizabeth_L (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-08)
I'm really curious about which laundromat it was that you were staying across from. Was it the one on King Street or Pearl Street? If you don't actually remember what street it was on, do you remember anything that the laundromat was near or what the building you were staying in looked like? I'm just really curious, from the perspective of someone who has lived in Burlington.

Also, I wanted to say that I find your story to be very interesting. I have had similar experiences in the apartment I lived in while I was still living in Burlington full time, except that the figure in my experiences was hooded and floated to me from my closet or from my bedroom door.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Miracles,
You are funny but there is always a possibility of aliens. There is so many things that can't explained away by logic or science like the paranormal so in that case I think aliens could be out there.

Reddy,
As a person who like her personal space, that really freaked me out; especially with that description. I would be questioning my sanity too if I didn't believe in the paranormal. As for telling your friend, I know you have your reasons but if and when you do tell your friend we would like an update on what he and his friends thought.
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Jav,
Interesting questions! No, I didn't notice a smell at all. I did feel a slight movement of air, like light breathing, but it wasn't anything very marked.

As for why I didn't tell them, I'm not quite sure of the whole logic there to be perfectly blunt. I've often thought to call my friend up and bring it up in reminiscing but I have yet to do so 😳

And for the beer - at that age, I would have disagreed; currently, I'd go for the money as well 😉
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
reddysteady,
Yes, frightening indeed! The thought of it getting right up in your face gives me the ever lovin' creeps.
Questions...
~Did you happen to notice if it had any sort of smell/scent to it at all?
~Being that close to your face, did you notice it breathe in or out?
~What is the thinking behind not telling the person who's place this was?
~A 30 rack! I'd rather have the cash, but that's just me.

Jav
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
I agree in thinking that it wasn't a human spirit, it's face was too... Accented? Stretched? Like something trying really hard to LOOK like a human, but getting over-enthusiastic about the endeavor, if that makes any sense at all, and overexaggerating the features, making them almost grotesque or mask like. I've only ever thought of it as a THING - my journal entry title for that next morning was "A Thing woke me up last night, and we're back in the van again". I hadn't thought Fae, though, that's also an interesting theory.
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Reddy: Oddly it actualy sounds like how the irish/scottish describe the fey. Or at least how I have heard them described. And the manerisum would almost fit to, kind of,...quirky.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
I'm sorry you were cheated out of the rest of your comfortable night on the sofa. This sounds terrifying and I agree with Cosmogal - I, too, would have high-tailed it out of there. If you do talk to your friend and/or his room mates about it, please update us. I'd be interested to know if they've had any experiences. As for the alien theory, I'm no expert, but I have read plenty of accounts and the description doesn't sound typical. They are usually described as having no noses and very small to non-existent mouths. And the eyes aren't usually described as sunken, but are often said to be very large. Of course, this is only one of the reported types. Others are described as very short and stalky with beady eyes and wearing coveralls or as very tall humans with Nordic colouring/features and dressed in white.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
reddysteady, This was a very creepy experience. Like Darkness said I would have done the same thing and high tailed it out of there. I am getting the impression that this being was a fae of some kind. Maybe a trixter? After reading about the facial features, mocking of your movements, and it looking like it was laughing made me think it was too weird to be a human spirit. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I found it very interesting. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
reddy - I don't know if we have an "alien expert" on site, but I know there are several people who have seen what they believe to be UFOs. As for aliens? Mmmmm... That I don't know.

I saw something on TV, maybe an advertisement for a movie (?) I think about an alien that was "fluid-looking." I'm sorry, I know that's a crappy way of describing it LOL, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. Black, but not made of flesh and bone like we are. Anyway, it was in this person's face just looking at them, mimicking every move they made. Sound familiar to anyone, or am I dreaming, hallucinating, being picked up by aliens LOL?
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Just because I saw the topic being changed to aliens...

I'm not so much of an alien expert but my boyfriend and I -have- seen anomalies. He told me a story once about summer camp with the church and he actually heard and saw a flying machine of some kind, like a big flat asterisk made entirely of perfect cubes, with vague shapes visible in what looked like a cockpit. That, amid my own experiences, makes me totally believe in space aliens. So it's always safe to never rule out a possibility.
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Miracles - O_O I honestly had not thought of that possibility before 😨 I don't know much about aliens except for what X-Files said (which isn't much reality, probably) - is there a resident alien-expert here on YGS? O_O I've read about spirits that mimick the living before but have yet to come across any literature that described mimicking spirits/beings quite like what I'd seen - Hmm, curious and curiouser...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
reddysteady - okay, I'm veering off the "ghostly" path and wandering into the... Alien anyone? Seriously... Not joking at all.

From the way you described it mimicked your movements, that is the first thing that came to mind. And I still think that. I normally don't jump to that conclusion, having never seen an alien, but something about this "being" just screams alien at me. Not being facetious at all; I do believe there is life on other planets.
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
I recall its nose the most vivid. It was long and the tip was kind of pointy with long nostrils. Its facial construction was also long and narrow, and its eyes were large and squinty, and sunken like the eyes of a person that doesn't get enough sleep for extended periods. Its mouth and teeth seemed to big for its face, the lips were narrow but the teeth just looked like normal teeth. It looked like it was laughing but didn't make any noise or move; it mimicked my stock-stillness the way it was mimicking my head-cocking. I remember feeling disgusted - not quite sick to my stomach, but grossed out, you know? I didn't notice any hair and it kind of glowed green but I'm inclined to say that was probably because of the little green light from my cellular charging.

Sorry I should have described it better originally, I was really excited to see the submission page was open 😳

Thank you for reading 😊 And yes, nomadic existence is preferable to staying put all the time. ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
reddysteady, mate I also have got to commend you on your lifestyle what a greatway to travel and see the sights good luck on your future endeavours!😊 This spectre you witnessed seems darn right creepy to me, I think I would have done the exact same thing as what you did mate and bailed out of there pronto! I am very curious to hear what your friend would have to say about it! Like moravian has mentioned could you explain the face in greater detail at all? Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
ReddySteddy great sorry but honestly? You sound like yu have a great life (❤
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Hello, nice story. However, can you describe this spector in greater detail?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: