You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Church Named Sharon

Real Ghost Stories

Church Named Sharon

 

My story begins with a family road trip. It was summer 1971, my mom and dad loaded me and my younger sisters into our Rambler station wagon to make our way from Tulsa to North West Arkansas. We made this trip at least twice a year to see my grandmother. The highways then were two lane, sharp curves, hilly and sometimes sheer cliff side. It made for a long sometimes nauseating drive for three kids nine and under.

We would take old highway 33 to the Arkansas border where it joined to old highway 68. It was along a section of this highway nearing Batavia where the road winds around along a high narrow ridge overlooking valleys and pastures. We were driving along when we had a blow out! My Dad is cussing a blue streak and there aren't breakdown lanes along this route. We clear a curve, when to the left there is a wide patch of ground in front of a small white church. There's a sign over the front double doors with the faded word, SHARON, painted on it, nothing else.

We all piled out of the car, my parents begin to pull out our luggage and cooler so they can get to the spare tire and jack. My sisters and I mill around. I can see that the church hasn't been in use for a long time, there are tall weeds and thistle growing all around it, there are 4 windows along the long side of the church. There's a window (near the doors) that doesn't have many weeds under it. I decided to have a peek inside and my sisters follow me.

The bottom window ledge is just low enough that I can look in. I see several benches pushed to the side up against the inside window ledge. I can see over the benches to where the west sun is streaming onto the dusty wooden floor through identical windows on the other side of the big room. It was about that time, my sisters began pestering me to let them look too. I turn away from the window for a second to tell them to hush and I'll boost them up, but when I turned back to the window again, there's a girl looking out the window at me! I was so surprised I fell back onto my rear end. My sisters laughed their heads off, but helped me up.

I was so spooked! I pushed my sisters towards the car. Midway there my mom yells that dad is about finished and we need to get ready to go. My sisters tell her I fell down trying to look in a window. Mom dusted me off and said to get in the car. We made it to Harrison before nightfall and had a really good weekend with my grandmother.

But one thing, has bugged me to this day. I'm positive there wasn't anyone in that building, not a soul and there hadn't been in years. The pews were covered in dust and were four and five deep pushed up under the windows. It was not the reflection of one of my sisters (they needed my help to lift them up to see) and it was not my own reflection either. I know that for sure. My mom kept our hair cut short with bangs and I'm a brunette. This girl was blonde and had skinny braids trailing down the sides of her shoulders.

Maybe one of the Arkansas YGS members knows this place? Has anyone ever seen this church? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by MaryLilac

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MaryLilac, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-22)
I will be going through that area the first weekend in October. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it. If it is still there.
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Marylilac,

I'll check with a friend of mine who's parents are from around Harrison. They know a lot of the history around those parts I'm sure... It may take me awhile to get back with you...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
clever - across the street and up the road really are two different things, aren't they? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† Geez LMAO!
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
You have to use your mouse to click on an area closer to the door, then you can see it.:)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
I'm just sitting here enjoying how my crown feels on my head again. I've missed it so much πŸ˜†. And at first opportunity, I'm getting my eyes checked cause I can't see the freaking sign on the door y'all "claim" is there! Not that I don't believe y'all or anything, but I just don't see anything that even slightly resembles a freaking sign!

Optometrist, anyone? Help?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
clever: Sorry! I didn't mean to make it seem like I was ignoring your suggestion LOL... I was busy Googling Jones Community Church... I finally got around to taking a better look...

I'm trying to find the specifc address of the place to maybe find out what it is/was...

Lou: πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
[at] clever,
Good eye clever. Next time you have to speak louder tough.

Jav πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
When properly assembled, I believe the pews are the Rows of Sharon. πŸ˜†

Lou
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Finally someone else saw it. I didn't want to say anything about the sign, so I decided to wait for someone else to say something. Lol It looked a bit like Sharon to me too. Good eye zzsgranny
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
That's the building I was talking about when I said to look across the street from the trailer. Lol
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
MizMimi: Yep, you can even see the sign above the door, I can't zoom in close enough to see what it says exactly, but damned if it doesn't look like "Sharon" LOL πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
LOL It happens to us all at time, can't see the forest for the trailer. πŸ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Well, from her excitement it appears she was convinced. I, on the other hand, had a hard time believing it because I couldn't see it for the trailer in front of my face πŸ˜†.

And on to the next πŸ˜†
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
No problem.:) It looks as close to a church as I thought it would be, that's why I presented it to the OP in the hopes that maybe it was what they were searching for.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
MizMimi - and there it is. Wow, never thought about pulling it all the way around. Ummm... Who has my crown?

Looks like someone's been taking care of it, instead of letting if fall in disrepair. I'd hate to have seen that. Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, literally πŸ˜‰
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Just wanted to clear up something right quick...I'm not saying for 100% certainty that it was what she saw, as obviously I didn't see it. Only the OP did. It's all I could find in that close proximity, so the rest is up to the OP.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Hey there! If you are in street view, you can grab the screen and drag it all the way around to the left, so you are looking across the street from the trailer...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
clever - you're right. It is possible it never existed at all. We hear all kinds of stories like that all the time.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
It might have at one time been called Rose of Sharon or something like that...it's possible that it was never on the radar. Like a little church that met for a while and then disbanded. It may not have been listed. Just running through some of my thoughts.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
I did, Clever, but that doesn't change the fact that there is only one church listed in the total of 5,956 churches (that I found) and only one in War Eagle, AK and it is not Sharon 😜. Although, I guess a person can call it whatever they want... Maybe Sharon Jones Church πŸ˜‰
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Okay, I looked to the left: another trailer; on the left part of the fork in the road is the Jones Church (which is pretty spooky if you think of Jim πŸ˜†), and on the right part of the fork is a building that is obscured by some trees...That's as far as I got... Maybe MizMimi or MaryLilac will come back and clear things up...
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Did you see that there is a white building across the street from the trailer? It looks like it might have four windows on the side.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Miracles: Yeah, I didn't get that far into it πŸ˜† πŸ˜†...In fact, I'd started to comment how the "church" looked like nothing more than a "double-wide-trailer-house", but thought better of it... Interesting that the church is active at the moment...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
granny - I thought that might be the case, so I went looking for the name of that church and it's Jones Community Church. The only church listed in War Eagle, AK πŸ˜‰
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Miracles: I did the same thing...So, I think it's the building in the back ground, toward the right of where Google gives you the "approximate location"; there is one with a steeple looking thingie...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
MizMimi - maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing on google maps, but what I pulled up looks like a white trailer that belongs to a woman named Sharon Church in War Eagle, AZ πŸ˜•.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-21)
Glad I could help, and I can see why you high tailed it back to the car. πŸ˜†
MaryLilac (4 stories) (7 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
Oh my gosh! That's it! You found it MizMiMi02! That area was choked with scrub oak and bramble, to see it now, all cleared is unreal. Those houses near by weren't there (or if they were they were hidden in the woods) Amazing, I would have thought that place would have been pulled down by now, it was seriously old 41 years ago! Wow! I'm absolutley blown away!
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
It's a long white church, with a peaked roof in the front. I can view it from street view in google maps, and it looks like it could be a bit spooky. Looks boarded up and definitiely not used.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
Seems that little girl just wanted you to mind your own business, and saw fit to show you how. Lol I found a Church of Sharon in War Eagle, Arkansas on 412 55 minutes from Batavia. Would that be it?

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: