You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Visit At Work

Real Ghost Stories

Visit At Work

 

Around 1999-2000, I used to work for a large newspaper. At the time, the department I worked for was an open office/cubicle-type affair in the original building (nearly 100 years old at the time of this story. It has since been pulled down).

I was standing at one end of the room waiting to make myself a coffee. Because of the way the department was laid out, there was no way anyone could come up behind me without me seeing or hearing them. The department was also only accessible via a key-card locked door. So people couldn't come in off the street, etc.

As I was standing there, a middle aged male voice said quite clearly in my left ear: "What's up, XXXX?" (where 'XXXX' is my name). It felt just like someone was standing right there - when someone is next to you, you can feel them there without actually seeing them. I could feel this...entity?...there. I could even feel breath on my ear as if someone was speaking very close to my ear.

I turned around to answer but no one was there. There was no one close by and no one was approaching or leaving. There was no way anyone could have left without me seeing them. I didn't recognise the voice. At the time, we would have had two men working in the department would would have fit the rough age I'd thought the voice was. Both were out of the office at the time.

I've always been slightly interested to know who or what it was who spoke to me. I don't believe I was having some sort of lucid dream or whatever - I was awake and alert at the time. Just waiting to make myself some coffee! No one had died recently (in fact, only one male relative had died in my lifetime at that stage and it had happened many years before... And he didn't sound like this guy). There was no history of hauntings that I could find in the building I was in and I was never troubled by visits while living in NZ. (We've since had a few things happen since we moved countries but that's another story!) This was the only time he spoke to me and he continues to remain a mystery!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, epiphany, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
I hope that he stops by to say hi again! If he does, you'll have to let us know! I'm jealous, that is such a personal experience that happened only to you. Sounds pretty special! Lucky! 😉

I look forward to possibly hearing about that other experience!
epiphany (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
Thanks for the comments, everyone. They're much appreciated.

SDS: At the time I sort of asked around & no one came out with any stories of happenings in the building. That's not to say nothing had happened but if it did, then I didn't hear about it. The building was old (for NZ) & always felt like it had a bit of a personality to it. But I've never come across stories of spirit activity associated with it. Interestingly, I discussed the voice with another colleague who seemed convinced it was some sort of guardian spirit (she was involved in the Spiritualist Church at the time). I'm not so sure about that. I sometimes wonder... Everyone was always in a rush at work (due to the nature of our job)...maybe whatever entity the voice belonged to felt like a chat & took advantage of someone just standing round...

Miracles: I have had odd experiences in the past that I guess are psychic in nature. Sensing people are about to die. Dreams that come true. *Really* strong & odd deja vu. Going through periods where I know who is calling before the phone even rings... That kind of thing. My mother is the same & she has some pretty awesome stories that have happened to her in the past. However, I've never really had a connection with someone like the one you describe. The only thing close to it is I'll sometimes feel I need to contact my mother & it'll be right at the time she needs help with something. But I've never heard voices & I didn't recognise this voice at all as someone I knew or had heard before. He had a very, very slight Australian twang to his accent. At the time, I didn't know any Australian men. He definitely didn't sound like my husband or any other male I knew.

Kuhlmad: It was definitely an extraordinary experience & one I'm not likely to forget in a hurry! I think the most surprising part was feeling breath on my ear as it spoke. I had always been interested in the spiritual but the physical component of this encounter surprised me somewhat. I've had another physical encounter since then where I was moved but that's another story & I don't think it's related to this entity. Maybe he'll swing by again some day & say hi?
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
I agree with sds, ask around and see if anyone else has had similar experiences. Could be a spirit just passing by to say hi to you.

If anything it was a great experience and a great story, right?

Thanks for sharing! 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
epiphany - just a crackpot theory here, and not sure if it even applies, but I'm going to give it a shot. Have you ever had any psychic-related experiences? For example, I was sitting at work one day and heard my boyfriend as clear as day say, "Bunch of dumbasses..." Now, I work with several men, but none of them sound anything remotely like my boyfriend 😆 I got up from my desk, called my boyfriend, got his voice mail. Ten minutes later he called me back. He didn't hear the phone because he had a generator running LOL. Anyway, I asked him if he had said what I clearly heard. His response? "Probably." He'd been having an issue with some of his subcontractors and was just talking about them and the situation.

I very clearly heard him say that even though we were miles apart and it was physically impossible. It's not the first time that's happened either.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that you have, or at least had that one time, a psychic connection like that with someone.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
Hi epiphany, that is really a difficult one, atleast for me, to give my opinions on. I sure feel that it is a paranormal experience. But you said that it had spoken to you only once in your ears. Did you make any investigation to your colleagues if they had any such experience in the office. If you had, please share it with us so that it could give us any clear picture. But, with only one encounter, it is difficult to say anything more than this. I feel that it might be some passerby entity. Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: