You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Farm

Real Ghost Stories

The Farm

 

The Farm is what we came to call our home which is an early 1800's farm house which has been added onto over the years, like many from this period. The house is 2 bedroom with a large kitchen and living room, enclosed sun porch and standard front porch, utility room and one bath room. The outside is beautiful with a large old barn and two out buildings sitting on four acres with large maple trees for shade. I've lived in this house for eighteen years and personally have never seen a ghost, however since remodeling the home keeping as much as original as possible except for wiring and plumbing, strange things seemed to occur to family members and our German Shepard. Rufus our 150 pound male Shepard would act has he saw something and the hair on his back would raise has he backed into another room like he was scared of something. Other things like stuff missing or lights coming on or computer turning on or off. No it is not the systems power settings, because I checked that first trying to debunk what happens.

Since getting a divorce and getting my son on weekends, things seemed normal and no problems except the dog being scared on occasions. I had a lady friend who worked second shift that would come by and check on me after work, knowing I sometimes drank too much after the divorce. She didn't drink and was a good person. I awoke one night finding her standing next to me as I was passed out on the couch and she was holding a beer and looked scared to death. I asked what she was doing drinking and she replied when she came into the living room there was a man standing next to me and he just disappeared into the air. Several years later I awoke and found another lady friend sitting up on my bed staring into the living room. She said, "be quiet a man is in the house." I quickly got up and went to investigate, nothing could be found.

I have since remarried and one day my wife and her mother went running across the yard as I was working on a car outside the garage. I followed them asking what was going on. They both replied, "didn't you see that man?" "no" I replied, and they both said he walked right through our kitchen outside wall and disappeared. They described him as a old man with farmer type clothes and jacket.

We have since moved several miles down the road and I pass the Farm daily as it sits there empty and so peaceful looking, I often wonder if this ghost still roams the house that only shows himself to women.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, theoledog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Pete16 (2 stories) (49 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-11)
Cool story, 'oledog! I am glad your life took a positive turn! It sounds like you had a lot of people looking out for you--maybe that's all the man was up to. If you ever find out who the he might be, I hope you will update us!
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
... I can envision the old farmhouse from your descriptions, and it's beautiful! I can tell that you very much had a connection with the place, and it seems that perhaps the old farmer felt so connected & loved it so much, he came back to watch over it. Interesting that your friend saw the man standing over you while you were passed out... I think maybe he was keeping a protective watch over you? I hope that whoever the future owners are, that they take care of the place with the same respect you did, and that they fill it with happy memories once more. Thank you for sharing your experiences, this story is one that makes you smile, just gently... There is sadness, mystery, and hope all entwined behind your words. Best wishes to you and your family,
theoledog (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
valkricry, it is located in Southern Illinois outside the small city of Centralia,Il., I'm sure people have passed away in the old farm, due to the origional design having 2 entries on front porch, which I understand was common, whereas they could close off one room to have a service in. Anyway there are a lot of great memories there and my kids loved living on the Old Farm and it will always be a part of them.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
I agree with Valkricry. But I have to ask, did you ever do a check on the history of the house or the land? Someone may have died in the house and may have decided to live there even after his death.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
Interesting story. Some people believe that women are more sensitive to the paranormal then males. Personally, I think that some spirits just like women better. 😆
The farm does sound like a wonderful place though. May I ask where about in Illinois?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: