You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: It Isn't Always Imagination

Real Ghost Stories

It Isn't Always Imagination

 

Before you begin reading, I would like to post a "Tissue Warning" for all the em-paths. (Before I get a telling-off again!)

I have noted with interest, that many folks post stories from their childhood, in which they recall sightings of ghosts or spirits. I have also noted just how many folks claim that nobody believed them. I, personally, think this is a crying shame!

We have an eight -year- old granddaughter; she lost her mother to cancer, last year. One evening, shortly after our loss, we were waiting in our car for our Kentucky Fried Chicken order that we placed. As I was in the front passenger seat, I rolled down the window, and lit a cigarette. Shenay, sitting in the back seat, suddenly piped up "Mommy says that you must give up smoking, it is very bad for you!" I was taken aback. She went on to say, "Mommy can see how many cigarettes you smoke; she is sitting here, right beside me." I quietly threw my smoke out of the window. I believe that Shenay has a gift!

This was not the first time that Shenay had displayed her gift; I didn't take this as a "flight of fancy". Sometime ago, last summer, if I recall correctly, my husband Ray and I decided to pay an unexpected visit to our youngest daughter, Angel. She lived to the south of Johannesburg - approximately 45 minutes drive from our house in Randfontein. As we pulled up in front of Angel's house, we were surprised to see both Angel and Shenay standing, waiting on the top step, at the open front security gate.

Angel looked surprised; Shenay was dancing with glee! We soon learned the reason why! After the usual hugs and kisses were exchanged, Angel explained that Shenay had said," Mom and Doll (our grand-children's names for us) are nearly here! Let's wait for them outside." Angel had obligingly complied with her daughter's request, and had been pleasantly surprised to see that Shenay was correct. There was just no way, that Shenay could have known in advance, as it was an 'impulse' visit on our part.

The next time that Shenay showed 'insight' (to our knowledge), was two days before her mommy was taken from us. Angel had been taken to hospital by her friend and neighbour, "K", on Sunday. On Monday morning, we visited Angel, before fetching my brother Rob from the airport. On Monday afternoon, after fetching Shenay from school, "K" took Shenay to visit her mommy in the Alberton hospital. On the way home, Shenay told "K", "My mommy isn't coming home from hospital, this time!" In my mind, this is a very profound statement for a seven - year- old to make. This was a prediction, which was proved so true.

"K" kindly continued to look after Shenay, letting her stay in her home. The morning of 6th June, Shenay woke "K" at 5:40am; sobbing, saying that her mommy was dead. She had had a terrible nightmare, in which a man, dressed all in black, had killed her mommy, and taken her away. In fact - Angel took her last breath at 6:10 - I was with her, holding her hand; looking into her eyes, when it happened. I was there to give her 'permission' to 'leave'.

On the 14th June, a memorial service was held for our Angel, in a church in one of Johannesburg's southern suburbs. The church was filled to capacity. I never knew just how much our youngest daughter was loved and respected by so many people. Toward the end of the service, the Pastor motioned for Shenay to come up to the pulpit, saying that she knew that Shen had something to say to the congregation.

Shenay stood up straight, looking out over the congregation; her blue eyes were rimmed with tears. She told us with conviction that she was glad to see us all there; that her mommy was at now at peace, no longer in pain, that she was now 'dancing with the Lord'. She then went on to hug each and every person that was assembled there - there wasn't a dry eye in the place!

Later, when all were having refreshments, the folks commented that Shenay had spoken like an older child would have, older than her years. Shenay later told the family that she felt her mother's hand on her shoulder as she stood by the pulpit. She had also heard as Angel had whispered instructions into her ear, as what to say and do.

About 3 Β½ months later, after Nicky (Angel's eldest, unmarried sister) had taken on the burden of Shenay's up-bringing, having moved Shenay into her tiny townhouse, the following scene took place: Nicky and Shenay were in the lounge chatting. Nicky had her back towards Shenay's bedroom door. They were talking about the death of one of Shen's hamsters. Suddenly, Shen started laughing. Nicky asked, "What is so funny?" Shen replied, "Mommy. She is making faces at me. Maybe she is trying to cheer me up." Nicky asked, "Where is Mommy?" Shenay answered, "In my door way!"

A friend of Nicky's now fetches Shenay from her 'new' school, taking care of her and seeing that she does her homework, until Nicky can fetch her after work. This lady tells of how Shenay has, on occasion, mentioned that her Mommy is in the front passenger seat in the car. Luckily, this lady too has a son who also sees spirits - so it isn't something 'new' to her.

It gladdens my heart to know that Shenay is growing up with friends and family who understand her and can appreciate what she is going through, that nobody (to my knowledge) has told her that she is crazy, or that it's all in her head. It would be a long and lonely journey for her, if it were all in her imagination!

Thank you for reading Shenay's experiences. I am sure there will be a lot more in the future.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-06)
Update: This past weekend, my granddaughter (now 11 y/o) and I were having a little chat. The subject of dreams came up. She was telling me of a couple of her dreams that had come true, small inconsequential happenings. I told her that it would be a good idea to keep a journal, as many dreams take a while before happening. I also explained symbolism to her.

I then asked her if she had seen her mommy lately. She became all teary eyed and shook her head, saying it had been a looong time since she had seen or heard her (deceased) mommy. I don't know if she has lost her gift now, or it is because Angel is happy with the way her daughter's is going. I am hoping that it is the latter.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-21)
Dacom, I am sorry to hear of your losses.

Thank you for reading my narrative and your kind words, they are appreciated.

Our daughter Angel doesn't visit very often any more. Perhaps she is satisfied with the way things are going in our realm. Shenay still speaks of her mommy quite often, which to my mind is a good thing.
Dacom (3 stories) (28 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-18)
May life be filled with the joy of a mothers love always A story to touch the heart of even someone like me that has lost a lot of loved ones over the years. Thank you for a bit of lost faith ❀ god bless you all.
May the best of your past be the worst of your future.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
Ah Krystallia! What a pleasure to see your name pop up again. 😁

Thank you my friend, you know a lot more than many others, eh? Thank you for your confidence in us.

Love you too girl. ❀
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
My dearest friend

Shenay is a blessed little girl. She has the best group of people around her to support her and help her understand her gift when the time comes.
Love you all...
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Ooh Miracles, you rock! Go girl, Go! ❀ More! More! (Applause) πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Fergie - yep, that's the one all right πŸ˜†

Ahh...now those lyrics I like, "Never say goodbye, never say goodbye. You and me and my old friends, hoping it would never end" Oh yeah, definitely like Bon Jovi ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
LMAO Miracles, song lyrics? Why yes, I can hear a female voice belting out something about surviving... I have got the right one, haven't I?

No, YGS would be a much sadder place without You! Don't ever say goodbye... More lyrics? πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Fergie - you'd survive πŸ˜‰ It may not be as much fun to some people or as aggravating to others πŸ˜†, but the site would go on. Hmmm... There must be song lyrics in there somewhere LOL
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Lol Trix, karma points aren't everything, but thank you for the thought my friend. 😊 Shame, you have been away from the site for so looong! Never mind, next time eh?

Miracles, thank you for the explanation... Miracles to the rescue, as usual! 😁 What would we do without you? πŸ˜‰
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
Trix - I think the site admins just want us to spread our voting around. I get that too, normally when I try and vote for Granny more than 2 times in a row πŸ˜†

When I voiced my "concern," πŸ˜‰ it was explained to me that if I vote for other members then I would be permitted to vote for Granny again. And it worked LOL I'll be honest, I'm not sure how long it took. Seemed like FOREVER πŸ˜† but eventually I was able to vote for Granny again. I just try and spread my voting around more than I used to, or else I take spells where I don't vote at all LOL.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-02)
It's a great pleasure my friend... It seems like this site is corrupted. I wanted to vote you up so that you could see I've received the message and thank you, but for a very long time now they block me from voting for you... I wonder why 'vote for someone else please'...so I'm no longer allowed to vote for you my friend... I think that is just plain discrimination and very sad because you don't deserve such treatment. ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-01)
Hi Trix, thank you for your kind words and understanding. There has always been a lot of love in this family. I am positive that it will continue that way, even it is only in spirit. πŸ˜‰

Thank you so much for your comment Trix, it is much appreciated. 😊
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-01)
Hi Fergie... Thanks for the tissue warning', and thanks for sharing such amazing experiences. Nicky is a fantastic woman to take care of her sisters' little child as if she's her own. What a wonderful close family you are. Shenay...oh...that little girl already crawled right into my heart. Your experiences with Angel always bring tears to my eyes and also a smile on my face knowing that she love you so dearly and I believe she will stay as long as it takes. I also believe she will cross over when the time is right. God bless you and your family. You are in my prayers. Take care. Trix. ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-04)
Hi Taurus, if that is your birth sign, it is the same as my late daughter's, Shenay's Mom.

Thank you for your lovely comment. Yes, Shenay is as smart as a whip! We have been blessed in so many ways, thank you 😊

Shenay doesn't know yet about spirit guides, but I will tell her in due time, believe me. πŸ˜‰
taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-06-04)
Blessing the little girl Shenay must be. Smart as well. Its truly a blessing for her to talk and communicate with spirits. Tell her to try and talk with her spirit guide. Your family has truly been blessed. ❀ 😳
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
Psychicmama, thank you so much for the warm endorsement of my narrative.

I have a few more incidents, relating to Shenay and her abilities; I wish to collect enough, to make a decent submission at a later date. So sorry, you will just have to be patient. πŸ˜‰

It is reassuring to hear from past loved ones. Shortly after Angel's passing, my husband heard a voice saying "Dad, don't worry, I am in a happy place!" Now That was comforting!

Thank you for reading and your lovely comment.
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Fergie, what a lovely, heart-warming story. I'm so glad you posted it and I hope you will continue to tell us what delightful little Shenay says and sees! I have communicated with some relatives after they've passed, and each time it has given me relief that they are "OK". Such a comfort to Shenay to know her mommy is close by and doing just fine. Makes my heart happy.

😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Fergie - LOL I do better with warnings and when I have time to build up my... Courage πŸ˜•? Mmm...no, that's not it. Strength? Nah, not that either. I guess it's just the "pull up my big girl pants" LOL

Empathy sucks big time sometimes, but sometimes it's worth it to shed a few tears 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Oh Miracles, you didn't read this, did you? Oh my word! I really didn't expect you to!

Yes, I know how you feel about children and their gifts, I feel strongly too; that is one of my points of writing this narrative. I don't think they (children) should be ignored, or brushed off.

Lol, Miracles, we try to keep her days as normal as possible - I think we are the ones that get surprised at Mommy's messages.

Um, well now, about the journal? At the moment, my journal is her journal as well; she will inherit mine one day... πŸ˜‰

Thank you so much for your unexpected comment, that really was a surprise!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Fergie - 😊 you know how I feel about children and their gifts. Fortunately for Shenay, even under the worst of circumstances any child could go through, she has love, support and understanding.

Not only through the tragedy of losing her mommy, but also when she tells you, Nicky and everyone else what she sees and hears. Especially when "Mommy says..." Those are the moments lots of families would have sent her to grief counseling because she wasn't "dealing" with her loss. Instead, her days go on like normal. She just passes on Mommy's messages πŸ˜‰ I'm looking forward to hearing more of Shenay's stories.

You are keeping her a Journal, right? πŸ˜‰
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
TheWalrus, I believe that you are correct! Children see and hear much more than adults do of the supernatural - but, my point is, how often are they believed?

Thank you for your comment, and for the good wishes for Shenay, I shall pass them on. 😊
TheWalrus (4 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
I think it is safe to say that children can see and hear more than us when it comes to the supernatural. It may possibly be from their complete innocence, or at least that's what I've heard. Best of luck to Shenay.

Peace and Prosper.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Dear Fergie,
Thanks for taking my words just as I had meant them.❀
I have nothing more to say,Fergie.I am literally inexperienced. I am out of my depth.

I rest.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Dear Ari,

You of all people, don't have to apologize... For anything! I know that you are sensitive, bless your heart.
I know too, where you are coming from, when you say that you wish for Angel to be at peace... But my daughter was so attached to her child. I guess she is just sticking around for a while, to see that Shenay gets settled into her new home. Nicky has recently bought a new, bigger home for her and Shenay.
Personally, I haven't sensed Angel around as much lately... Maybe that is a good sign?

Thank you Ari, for you honesty. I don't think you were being insensitive at all. I commend you for being forth-right. ❀

Thank you for reading, even though it must have been difficult for you. I do appreciate it.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-22)
Dear Fergie,
Forgive me, but I am yet to make up my mind as to what I should say about your story.
I feel that Shenay is very lucky to have the company of her mother, but I also wish that dear Angel finds peace.

And sorry for being late. I was indecisive for a long time whether I should read your account or not, since you already issued a tissue-warning.
I apologise if I seem insensitive to any of your feelings.

Regards
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
You are welcome Dragonstorm. I knew empaths like you would need it.

Lol! We know that Shenay has an amazing gift, but it is really good to hear this confirmed by others; you know, just in case we are biased...

Thank you for reading, and your comment. ❀
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
Thank you for the tissue warning! I think Shenay has an amazing gift, thank you so much for sharing this ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
Hi Marine. Your nephew can also sense spirits? You will have to post about that!

Yes, Shenay's mommy still watches over her - which to me, is a blessing in itself. 😊

Thank you for reading Marine, and your compliments. I am glad you enjoy my experiences.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-21)
DARKNESS: What a rare treat to hear from you!

Thank you for your comment, it's an honour, coming from a seasoned member like yourself.

Shenay has made an amazing 'recovery' since the loss of her mother; we are sure that it is through the love and support of her spiritual and physical family. Lol... Everyone wants a piece of her, she is a popular child.

It is always a pleasure to retell experiences of mine, and my family's here on YGS. ❀

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: