You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: She Always Did Like To Annoy Him

Real Ghost Stories

She Always Did Like To Annoy Him

 

I've been reading here for awhile and have really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences. My youngest child is a bit of a night owl and this site has made the time sitting up with her much more enjoyable. Thanks!

I thought I'd make my first entry one of the short and warm fuzzy variety...

My maternal grandmother was a wonderful woman who I was very close to. She was smart, stubborn, and funny. Honestly she could be a bit of a handful. I just loved her to pieces. Her and my father however did not get along quite so well. Although they did have a genuine affection for each other, their personalities didn't mix well and they got on each other's nerves. Often I think she would intentionally grate on him just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

When my grandmother became ill with cancer the family rallied around her and when it became clear she would not recover family members (supported by hospice care) began gathering at her home to say their goodbyes, assist with her care, and help her die peacefully and surrounded by loved ones.

After she had passed a few family members took small items from the home that brought them comfort. When you are deeply grieving it can be strange what becomes meaningful to you. For my mother it was a coffee mug and a small porcelain knick knack that had a motion detector in it so that it would play "You Are My Sunshine" when activated. My grandmother had kept it in her small bathroom positioned so it would play whenever someone would enter the room. As far as I can recollect it always worked just as expected.

When we returned home my mother placed it in the window above her kitchen sink. That's when it started behaving erratically. Instead of being triggered by motion it seemed to be triggered by certain activities. Arriving home, going to bed, getting up in the morning. It felt very much as of my grandmother was saying "Hello!", "Goodnight!", "Good Morning!" It became something we expected and we'd even reply appropriately when it played it's little tune. ("Hi Homma" "Goodnight Homma, love you too")

One day the little knick knack stopped working all together. My mom was understandably very distressed by this and my father responded by doing everything he could to try and fix the little gadget. He worked on it for quite some time but eventually had to give up, apologetic and quite frustrated. He put it back together and set it back in it's place on the window. No sooner had he turned his back to walk away that the silly little thing started playing again!

I know that someone more cynical than myself would chalk this up to coincidence and a cheap knick knack. Maybe that's true. For us though, we have no doubt it was my grandmother taking one last opportunity to push my father's buttons.

Other hauntings by The8Ms

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The8Ms, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

The8Ms (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-10)
Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. Isn't it interesting how an interaction with a deceased person can end up being one of the most life affirming experiences you can have? ❤
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-10)
Faulty knick-knack or Homma? I think in situations like this one no one can really judge but the people that experienced it and its up to their gut feeling. If you truly got the feeling of your grandmother's presence in these events, then I think that's exactly what was going on ❤ Sounds like she was quite a lady and it is wonderful that you were all able to share this experience ❤
L_Melb (220 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-10)
What a delightful read after having been away from the site for a period of time (distracted by books with paper pages - what will they think of next? 😜)

I see how one could argue about malfunctions and all kinds of rational angles. However, I have to admit it is a lovely thought that she was using that trinket to be remembered.
One has to admit, if your grandmother did have anything to do with it, she had great timing!
The8Ms (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Valkricry,
What a beautiful story! I think I'm going to like this group. ❤ 😁
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Hi 8Ms,
I can believe this was Homma having one last laugh. Growing up, my mom told me about a music box my Grandma had. She'd talked about it often enough I could 'see' it, if you follow. A couple of years after Grandma's passing, I was visiting my Aunt (they lived in another state), really kind of surprised her when I picked it up saying, "Grandma's music box!", as she knew I had NEVER seen it before. She told me she didn't know why she'd kept it because it was broken and hadn't worked since Grandma died. Broken or not, in my heart I knew it would mean a lot to my mom, so I asked if I could have it for her. Long story short, I took it back home and almost the moment my Mom touched it, it started playing. I really believe it had just been waiting for my Mom, to give her one last 'moment' of her Mom.
Coincidence? I doubt it. I think your Homma just wanted to let you know she was alright, and be sure you knew it was her.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
The8Ms- This really was a 'warm and fuzzy". 😊 It doesn't matter what other people think as long as your heart knows it was Homma, then it was her. I'm sure she's still hanging around keeping an eye on everyone.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the club! ❤
The8Ms (2 stories) (21 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Melda,
It actually did not play again after that last time. It played the song a few times through and then never played again. I think it might also have been her way of saying goodbye. She hung around long enough to make sure we were all okay (She was always very family focused and her death was an enormous loss for us) and then decided to get one last little taunt in as she made her exit. That would be so like her! 😆
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
The8Ms - It doesn't matter what anybody else chalks it up to. As long as it kept you talking to your grandmother, that's all that matters.

Did the trinket carry on playing after your dad had fixed it? Even if it didn't, it could still have been grandma having a dig at your dad 😆

Regards, Melda
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Your story made me smile. 😊 I love when in-laws or grandparents send messages that they are okay. It's a good thing my father in-law loved me because he's still hanging around.
The8Ms (2 stories) (21 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
Thanks for taking time to comment. It's funny how excited I get when I see a new comment. LOL I haven't had many supernatural experiences but this one is my favorite. It was just so perfectly "Homma". It was very comforting.
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
A family friend always greets me with: "Hello Sunshine!" He never fails to make me smile. There may be a logical, scientific reason for your experience, but I still prefer to think it's your grandmother teasing your father. Reading this gave me a big smile too. 😊
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-03)
Hi, The8Ms. Your story elicits many reactions from me, including 😳 and 😁.

Not much to go on to decide if coincidence or grandmom, but it is very nice that you kept her memory alive with the trinket. She was, is, and always will be part of your loving family.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: