You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A New Farm Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

A New Farm Ghost

 

I've not long discovered this site and read many of your great experiences. Now I guess it's about time I tell you one of several true events I've witnessed.

It all started when I was a young lad of 14 and living with my father and younger brother. We were renting a 3 bedroom house in New Farm, a suburb of Brisbane.

There was a small flat attached to the side of this house which was used by a few of my father's friends. My father was quite a heavy drinker and soon found himself a girlfriend with similar interests. Needless to say, I wasn't overly pleased with all this as one drinker in a family is more than enough. We both had a mutual, unspoken dislike of each other, though never leading to outbursts.

One afternoon in June or July of 1979, my father and his friends Kevin and Johnathon were sitting in the kitchen drinking, as they usually did. Dad's girlfriend was rather drunk as usual and in quite a snappy mood. This was nothing out of the ordinary for the pair of them. Naturally, an argument ensued between them both with her threatening that she would "do it". My father, being the hard drinking Scot that he was, merely bellowed back, "Just do it, see what I care, Woman." Eventually, the arguing subsided and dad continued his drinking session with his pals.

It was now almost 6pm and the evening news would soon be on the television, so we made our way into the lounge room and got comfortable on our chairs. Dad's girlfriend was asleep on the couch at this time. After several minutes Kevin exclaimed, "Jock, she's looking awfully grey." We all turned to look and, sure enough, she was a pallid grey colour. Dad had me run to the phone box down the street and call an ambulance, as we didn't have the telephone connected at home. Off I ran full pelt and dialed 000. By the time I returned the ambulance had arrived and the officers were loading her into the back on a stretcher. Dad's girlfriend lingered in hospital for almost a week before succumbing to the large amount of pills she had consumed. Life seemed to carry on as usual.

About a week later I was laying in bed reading before turning in for the night. It was around 10.30pm, and my father and little brother were both asleep already. I often slept with my bedroom door open, the foot of my bed facing the hallway that ran the length of the house.

Laying in bed reading, I caught something in the corner of my eye. Looking up over my book, I was shocked at the sight before me. Standing in the doorway to my room was a misty green grey shape in the form of a person that ended at knee level. My gaze was fixed on this apparition as fear consumed me, rendering me unable to scream no matter how desperately I wished to. After what seemed an eternity, though only seconds, the spirit turned and moved off towards my father's room further up the hall.

Terrified, I launched out of bed and shut and locked the door, arriving back in bed with the covers over my head in a flash. I remember thinking I was an idiot as ghosts can move through doors and walls.

Needless to say I had very little sleep that night. Waking in the morning I readied myself to go to work at the store. Upon walking into the kitchen, dad cast a quizzical stare at me and stated, "You look like you've seen a ghost."

I relayed the events of the previous night and was more than a little surprised when he stated he had felt her sit upon his bed on more than one occasion. Later that day I returned from work early, sick I told them, though I was more upset from what had occurred the night before.

Things settled and were as normal as could be expected after that, until arriving home from work in the early evening a few weeks later I closed the front door behind me. Walking along the hall, my bag over my shoulder, I stepped through the high doorway into the lounge room when a large Chinese lantern we had hanging as decoration came crashing to the ground, breaking into many pieces.

Reaching down, I picked up the broken lantern by the still intact ribbon and looked over at dad and Kevin who were as shocked as I. Not only was the ribbon unbroken, the large curved hook that it hung from was still securely attached in the doorframe. The lantern would have to have been lifted over the hook to have fallen. Also, a fall from that height wouldn't have broken it the way it was. It was as though this decorative lantern was flung with force, narrowly missing my head.

Well, there we have it. My apologies for the length of my story. I'll gladly answer any questions and, of course, your comments are more than welcome. Benny;)

Other hauntings by Benny_Lundon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Benny_Lundon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Benny_Lundon (2 stories) (33 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-16)
Hi Spiritwaiting, I took my time getting back 😆
Glad you enjoyed the story. I do hope she found peace and moved on also.
Regards; Benny.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-15)
Benny,

Wow how did I miss this experience!?

OK so you have been a member for a while!
Welcome back 😊

Anyhow...
Like all the others I hope she found some way to get peace, and move on.

Unhappy spirits, don't make for good company!

And she wasn't the happiest.

Thanks for sharing this
Spiritwaiting
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-11)
Great narration Benny! Don't make us wait to long to hear more and welcome to YGS! 😁
Benny_Lundon (2 stories) (33 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-06)
Hi Wishful, glad you liked the story. Needless to say, they were hectic days.

Regards; Benny.
WishfulNull (151 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-04)
Whew, those were some frightening happenings and very well told! I hope she eventually found peace - that's such a shame that ended up dying & you ended up finding her like that, when you were only 14 (not to mention dealing w. Your Dad & his friends).

Thank you for sharing with us, and glad you made it out! 😊 Best wishes,
Benny_Lundon (2 stories) (33 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-04)
Hi Val, thanks for your warm welcome.
I must admit that as a young lad of 14 it certainly made me a little uncomfortable, nothing like what was to come later, I'll post again soon for everyone one here as soon as I'm able.

Yours; Benny.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-03)
Hi Benny,
Your account only confirms for me my suspicion that unhappy people make for unhappy spirits. On the plus side, you weren't hurt, and she didn't follow you.
Welcome to YGS, I look forwards to reading more of your experiences.
Benny_Lundon (2 stories) (33 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-03)
Hi Fergie, I'm guessing it was Dads' late girl-friend also, she wasn't a very nice woman unfortunately. It wasn't long after this experience that I moved interstate, so, who knows if she's still about or finally crossed over?
Hi Lady-glow and Seraphina, It was a little off putting to say the least, here's hoping she finally found peace.
Thanks all for your warm comments, I'll try to post a few other stories I have once I've got a moment or two to sit down and set them out for you all.

Regards; Benny.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-08-31)
Well-told story, Benny. I look forward to others you might share here.
What a miserable life and afterlife for this unhappy soul. May she finally rest in peace.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-08-31)
Great story, Benny... But a not very nice experience! 😐
I find it very sad when people don't leave their earthly grudges behind when they pass over; but I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

Welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-08-31)
Wow! Benny, that was a narrow squeak! I presume that was your dad's late girl-friend? LOL She must have disliked you more than you thought, eh? Did you ever get her to move on?

Thank you for your interesting submission. 😊I am glad to see that you finally got one out!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: