You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Great Grandmother

Real Ghost Stories

My Great Grandmother

 

I was a young kid when I came into contact with my great grandmother. My parents moved into my grandparents home when my grandparents retired to the coast of Texas. Before they moved my grandmother sat my sister and I down and explained how our great grandmother had died in the house and still lived there. We thought she was crazy until one night...

I was throwing a temper tantrum in my bedroom because I hated living in the house. In each of the bedrooms, there was a Tiffany-style lamp that hung above each bed. I was sitting on the edge of the bed, throwing a fit and my father was next to me consoling me. I said, "I hate this house. I hate this house. I hate this house..." As I finished saying it a third time, the lamp above the bed swung backward, then forward and then came out of the ceiling and hit me in the back of the head. My father turned to me and said, "See? You're pissing her off and you shouldn't piss her off..."

We moved shortly after that. I'd like to add that other things occurred in the house besides that experience. We would be watching TV and it would shut off all of a sudden. We would have to get up and actually switch it back on by pulling the knob that was used to turn it on and off.

My sister would take a shower and put her jewelry in the bathroom counter. Nearly every time she did it, she would come out of the shower to find her jewelry in a pile at the bottom of the stairs.

Other people claimed to have seen her standing in our dining room. Other family members claimed to hear breaking dishes upstairs and when they investigated, they found nothing. There was a consistent cold spot at the end of my sister's bed. We had a room in the house that we called, "The East Room..." No one went in there. You could FEEL something or someone... Some sort of presence there.

All in all, I was a skeptic until my experience. Now, I firmly believe in the afterlife, ghosts, etc.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Andy Meadors, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-22)
Dear Andy,

Yes, I would say according to your story, your great-grandmother showed excessive strength of energy manifestation to pull a ceiling lamp out of the ceiling and breaking it. Was your great-grandmother a person prone to being greatly upset, angry and showing it physically? I am astounded that your dad would not question his grandmother's conduct and behavior, and instead just say what he said to you in order to frighten you into being a better person. I have lived in many a "haunted" house or dwelling, and many times the ghosts have not been that physical in manifestations that would hurt myself or others. If this description does not fit your great-grandmother, there may also be another uninvited guest you and your family may not have known about.

A dead person acts in death, as in life and has the same personality. Frankly, I would avoid a person dead or alive who pulls ceiling lamps out of a ceiling to make a point or to let others know they are there or present.

Well, we all have our different family dynamics. We may also add to the mix too. This is as you say an event that happened when you were 11. I hope things with family stopping by is now a more peaceful event and manifestation.--Abby
houseape (1 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-20)
Hi, and thanks for commenting on the story I included. I was 11 when this happened so that was 1983! Dating myself here!

To answer some of your questions, my great grandmother had evidently 'lived' in the house right along with my grandparents for some time and none of us are sure why she haunted the home. I must give kudos to her because she managed to move some strange objects. My sister was in the kitchen talking to my grandmother about the issue and a package of flower fell from the highest shelf in the cabinet to the floor. She certainly liked to be noticed... Or needed to be.

However, she did not follow us when we moved across town. I have not spoken to the new owners at all and have no idea of their experiences over the last 24 years. I do know they still live there so they lasted much longer than we did.

My father passed away in July 2005 and we've experienced some mild activity in this house that we credit towards him. Looks like many members of my family stick around for a while after passing. That will be left for another story when I have time to write about it.

Best to you all and thanks for the kind words.

Andy
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-20)
Thank you for sharing your encounters with us. I do hope your Great Grandmother finds or has found peace. Apparentlly, there was something holding her to the house. I feel that sometimes individuals that work hard to achieve owning their own homes or having their dreams fullfiled have a hard time crossing over. Say some prayers for her to find her peace and be able to cross over and rest.

I will also pray for her.

God Bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-19)
Andy, I hope your Great-Grandmother finds peace. It's too bad that you had to go through the things you did, it would definitely be frightening. Did she move along with your family or did she stay in her home? Have you ever spoken with the new owners of the house? Maybe it was just your family's attention she was looking for.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-19)
Andy, thank you for sharing your experience with us. Sometimes the spirits do become upset with the actions of the living and they do let it be known.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: