You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I Think I Saw My Granddad

Real Ghost Stories

I Think I Saw My Granddad

 

This story isn't as 'exciting' and 'scary' compared to some of the others I've read, but it's certainly one of my best paranormal experiences and it's something I've been wanting to share for a long time. Bear in mind, I'm not the most fabulous writer so please be kind.

Back when I was 11 years old, I woke up in the middle of the night, in my room, to first see that my TV was turned off. At first I was confused to why it was turned off as I always leave it on, due to being scared of the dark. Also, at the time, I had one of those small 90s televisions that didn't automatically go on standby after being on for long periods of time, so I knew that wasn't the reason why it turned itself off.

However, when I turned my head to the right, I saw this tall shadow figure standing by my door. At the time, I was more confused than scared, as this shadow man looked exactly like my dad but taller. I couldn't see his face as it was dark, but just by looking at his silhouette, I could of sworn it was my dad.

"Dad?" I questioned the figure. I got no reply as this shadow man kept looking at me. Then I thought it was my brother, Michael, as he's tall unlike my dad. However, he's only my half brother and not related to my dad at all, so he had no physical resemblance of this figure apart from his height, but I wasn't an 11 year old who ruled out any possibilities.

"Michael?" I yet again questioned the figure, and still no reply. This was when the fear kicked in as I had this stranger in my room, staring at me, who was not responding to my calls no matter how many times I've repeated myself. I stopped talking and continued to examine the figure from my bed. To me, this felt like an eternity, even though it must of been for about 10 seconds.

At this point, my fear was not as strong as my annoyance, as I then told the figure to leave, which in fact it did. This figure walked straight through my bedroom door which was already shut. But yet, I could hear the floorboards creak with each step this figure took. As soon as it left the room, the floorboards stopped creaking, which is weird as my house is as soundproof as a piece of paper. You can usually hear people walking downstairs, as well as people tossing and turning within their beds, but I heard nothing as soon as it left my room.

The next morning I questioned my dad and my brother, and they said that they never entered my room in the middle of the night. To this day they keep telling me that I dreamt the whole thing as they're skeptics, but I know I was wide awake that night. Since my mam is a fellow believer, she told me that it could have been my granddad that came to visit. And now that I think about it, it makes sense. Now to give you guys some background about him, he died of a heart attack when my dad was still a young child, so he would of been in his late 30s or early 40s when he died. My dad was within that age group when I had the encounter with the spirit, and judging by the silhouette of the figure, he looked to be within that age group as well.

Of course I never met the man, so he could of been completely different. However the wind seems to blow in that direction, and I've seen photos of him and he resembles my dad so much that I can't rule out the possibility that my granddad decided to pay me a little visit that night.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, somergraphics14, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-25)
I don't think the spirit meant any harm. Probably, as the o/p said, he was just paying an occasional visit:)
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-24)
I am hoping that this o/p is not aware that his story has been published.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-24)
Miracles,
You are right about your assumptions. There are a few of my stories that I clicked on opted not to participate in the discussion, but did participate anyway. The stories I post, I don't really need help, except mabie one I did. I just merely wanted to tell my story.

And then there are stories that are obiously fake, that the o/p does not respond.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
samtillie - just got finished reading it. You should have a response. Thank you 😊
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
Miracles'you certainly have put a lot of thought into it haha. Yes I agree that they could have selected the wrong option too. By the way I have sent you a personal email to the email you have logged on your profile. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
crap! Samtillie - sorry about the missing "i". Absolutely hate when I do that 😳
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
samtille - over the years I've griped and complained about that same thing, but I've come to the conclusion (although it could be the wrong conclusion 😉) that sometimes they could have mistakenly made the wrong choice.

I think there are times the o/p changes their mind after submitting their story and decide to participate in the discussion. It could also be simply a sharing of an experience and they have no desire to talk to anyone about it. And then again, it could be a made up story 😉

See? I've put a lot of thought into this over the years LOL
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
(throwing my toys out of my pram!) I think I'm going to stop reading peoples stories if they are not going to participate. Why bother posting it in the first place if people aren't wanting to discuss... Such a shame.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-22)
It is so discouraging to comment on a story knowing that the o/p won't participate in the discussion! 😢

Somergraphics14: do you know if that day was the anniversary of your grandfather's passing or perhaps his birthday?
Perhaps he just came to meet you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: