You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Midnight Lady- Part I

Real Ghost Stories

The Midnight Lady- Part I

 

Almost during every summer vacations I visit my grandparents house which is a little bit towards Eastern India. The place they live is not fully developed but can be called a city. It's famous for it's varied types of mangoes so that was one the few reasons why we go there every summer.

But the last year's experience was ineffaceable. My friends there told me about the rumours that had been circling around in that area and why the place so abandoned there after twilight which would've been filled with people strolling on the streets at night after dinner. The rumours were that there is a lady that has been seen wearing a white sari and wet hair nearly around midnight who would appear from the behind the big old banyan tree or from the wall behind it, roam the streets and then would go, sit in front of a very holy man who also lives nearby and would cry/sniffle there all night. And by dawn she disappears. My friend, let\'s call her Sara, even claimed to have heard her cries and said it would make you cry out of fear. At first me and my brother, who is 4 months younger than me and also came to spend his vacations, didn't believe it at all but wished to go and see. We both made a plan to go into the streets at midnight and to see if the rumours were true or not. We tried inviting Sara to our investigation but she reused right away. Unwillingly our plan of going there at midnight was crushed when my elder sister and my other cousin told it to the elders and we were scolded very bad for thinking it as some stupid joke although they told us not to believe it.

We thought of letting the matter go and forget it until, one night at around 2 o'clock we heard somebody was banging our door loudly. All the lights in the house were switched on immediately and everybody gathered around the door to see who it was. It was the son of our neighbour (let's call him Andy). Our family is very close to theirs. He was all pale and sweating so bad and was on the verge of crying. When we asked him he said he was coming back from his night shift and after he parked his bike in front of his house he saw the lady in white sari and wet hair standing at his doorstep while eating a rat! Me and my brother were terrified. All of the children were escorted back to our room where we all used to sleep together every night. This incident frightened me and my brother but ignited the curiosity once more to go into the streets at midnight.

The next morning just like everyday we woke up early morning around 5:30 to go for a walk with my grandpa. Me, my brother, my elder sister and one more cousin were walking through the street and as soon as we reached near Andy's house my grandpa suddenly told us to turn around and take the other way. It was strange to me and my brother but he was too stubborn so we started walking towards the other way. But curiosity took over us and me and my brother quietly sneaked back towards Andy's house and what we saw was horrific. We found two mouses with there inside ripped open and a bitten head. We were terrified so we started running towards the direction towards which grandpa went.

After we came back from the walk around 6 or 6:15 my grandma told her husband that someone in our family is very ill so all the elders had to go and visit her. Around nine o'clock the elders left and said they won't be back until the next morning. For the time being we were under my aunty's supervision who is in her 20s. All afternoon me and my cousin couldn't think of anything else. When we told Sara about our experience she said many people have claimed to see strange things around. She also told us that her cat was crying all night and that she's scared that the midnight lady might have done something to it.

At night while my sister and her partner (my other cousin) were watching T.V until late night since there was no elder in the house and my aunt had fallen asleep me and my brother went to my grandpa's study and took the key of the main door which was locked. We quietly opened the door, since it made of iron and makes a lot of rusting noises, after grabbing 2 torches and cellphone to record if anything happens. We lacked courage so at first we walked a few steps and then came back. We did this a few times until we both decided to go into the street further. We both walked together, me with the 2 torches and my brother with the camera.

We were almost at the end of the street and the holy man's house was just on the next turn. We saw a lady in white sari and wet black hair walk from right in front of us. She took a quick glance at us and stopped for a second but then continued walking towards the holy man's house. My brother and me went numb but then we dropped everything we had in our hands and ran back towards the house with my brother following me. We came back, locked the doors as quietly as before and then hid ourselves inside the blanket and dozed off to sleep. Next morning we both woke up around 5:30 but since grandpa wasn't here so walk was cancelled. But still me and my brother just like last night opened the gate and went back to the place where we went last night and found our torches and my brothers phone's screen broken. We never told anybody about this encounter to anybody except for my sister and cousin and they both scolded us for doing such a perilous thing. When we told Sara she thought we were insane and didn't believe it but when we showed her the broken phone screen she went crazy. Well we don't blame her. We later, made up a story to tell the elder's about the broken phone screen.

Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, HiNa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kphari (4 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
Nice story!
Just curious: How would you say she is non human? She could be mentally retarded?
Why would she visit holy man and who is that guy by the way?
In addition in such a situation, most of your elders were out for a night, leaving you guys back home?

You leave behind many unanswered questions and I suspect this to be a fiction,though! πŸ˜•
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-17)
Hey Hina thanks for warm reply... I am very curious to know the second part of this story please submit it as soon as possible and can you tell me what is the reason behind her wet hair? Or you are including it in your next part...
HiNa (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
I read all of yours comments and thank you for the appreciation. And for those who have a confusion like maxpower & lady-glow etc...etc... -
First, we couldn't upload the video because the phone was broken. It was broke when we found it. It wasn't working anymore

Secondly, you all are very confused about my brother... Well I said he 'aslo' comes to visit during holidays. I wouldn't have said 'also' if he were my REAL brother because he would be staying with and I didn't had to particularly write about he also visitng because it would be obvious. He is my cousin brother.

About the cat, well there is a belief at that place that when a cat or any animal cry there is something really bad going to happen or they are scared.

And for the rest of your confusions I'll soon be writing the partII. It might clear somethings out.

And there were many of you who cared about me and warned me so thank you very much (sheetal). Its just that I am a tomboy, adventurous & I don't know why but I'm SO fascinated by the paranormal world. And this was the most close and real thing that had happened so I couldn't resist. But I'll make sure...I'm mean I'll be alert and careful next time thank you.
ADCJ (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-20)
you took the words out of my mouth lady glow, I was thinking the same thing!
maxpower (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
if you caught the ghost on camera you could of shown it on the internet
Pragya (5 stories) (68 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-28)
But remember not to mess with such things... It could have been dangerous because no one knows if she is a ghost or actually a living demented woman... And you never know what she might be upto. So stay away from such things. 😐
Pragya (5 stories) (68 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-28)
It was a scary story... But also entertaining... Summer vacation fun... 😁
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-23)
HiNa: I finally was able to finish reading your story and have some questions about it:
Did you ever consider that a cat could have been the one killing and eating the two dead mice? My cats do not eat the head and a little green organ from the guts of the mice they hunt.
Did Sara see the lady or did she only hear her cry? My guess is she could have heard a cat's love call, and her cat cried all night because it wanted to join the fun outside.
If the midnight lady is a ghost, why would she need to eat rats?
I find it hard to believe that a bunch of kids would be willing to go for walks at 5:30 am after staying up very late the previous night, but I do not discard the possibility.

I'll appreciate your answer.
Looking forward for the second part of your story.
johnnycashmuse (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-23)
This sounds to much like an India version of the Grudge to me. And the 4mth younger than you brother? Last time I checked it takes 9mths give or take a week or so.
Sounds more like a movie plot for a new summer horror movie for teens.
SORRY I DONT BUY IT. And I'm a little to old for teen horror movies. There hasnt been any good ones since EVIL DEAD anyway.
JACQUIE.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-22)
Hi, Valkricry... I don't know why I got scared after reading wet hair. I think she must be murdered/suicide by someone in water. So she has wet hair. 😒

I was just imagined The Grudge movie where the hair is used as ghost appearance... 😨
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-21)
valkricry: you're right, the OP could be part of a blended family, or could even be an adopted child... Guess I have to work on learning to restrain my goofy nature.
But the way it sounds still makes me laugh.πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Hades666 (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-21)
Hi HiNa, thank you for sharing your interesting story. But now I am also curious; what is the story behind the midnight lady? Why does she always go to the holy man's house? I believe there is a connection but some further information from you might put my mind to rest.
Hades
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+3
10 years ago (2014-05-21)
lady-glow, his brother might be a step-brother on his father's side. Not everyone makes those distinctions. But, yeah, without a qualifier that does read really... Odd lol
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-05-21)
YEAH, RIGHT! "...me and my brother, who is 4 months younger than me..."
Seriously? That's impossible, it takes NINE months for a baby to be born, even if your mother had gotten pregnant the very day you were born!

I'm sorry but I couldn't finish reading your story... I fell off my chair laughing like crazy!
Perhaps you mean your brother is four YEARS younger than you? πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-21)
Hi, HiNa... I have a question, and hope you or someone else can enlighten me. Why is the woman's wet hair so scary? I noticed sheetal's reaction, and from the way it told in the story it seems of some significance?
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-21)
And I am going add your story in my favorite list. Thanks for sharing. 😁
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-21)
Hi, HiNa Very very creepy story. The wet hair oh god! 😨 giving me goosebumps. One more thing please don't act smart for this paranormal stuff. They can harm you. It's good that you didn't harmed. Please don't do this again. 😠

I am so curious to know what is the story behind that wet hair midnight women. Please revert me. 😐

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: