You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: There's Something In The Attic

Real Ghost Stories

There's Something In The Attic

 

Directly above my girlfriend's bed is an entrance to the loft (attic). It's a square-ish door that has a ladder attached to it when it opens, one that folds up neatly for storage. The other entrance is at the top of the stairs, but the stairs themselves are narrow and steep, and the landing at the top of them is literally a square of carpet. It would be very dangerous to continue using that entrance so a new one was made. (I don't even want to imagine someone actually climbing into the loft whilst at the top of those stairs, and I certainly don't want to imagine it going horribly wrong.)

Anyway, Jess and I were sat on her bed, just talking. Our voices were at a normal volume, and we were upstairs alone with her parents downstairs. It was silent apart from our conversation.

Out of the blue, there was a loud noise from above us. The sound and weight of it made us immediately mutually decide it was a footstep. Our heads shot up to the source, and that discovery made us reel.

Not only did it come from the loft, but directly on the door to the loft itself.

"There was no mistaking that," I said to Jess in a shaky voice, and tears were instantly leaking from my eyes and I was shivering. (A normal, common reaction to me getting scared when hearing chilling things.)

I was right, too. Jess agreed. It was so clear, so blatant, that it could have so easily been mistaken for an actual living person walking around in there.

We heard the same thing a few more times when we continued talking, not as loud but in the same spot, and we couldn't take our eyes off the door.

"If you got close enough to the door, do you think you could see through the gaps in the edges?" I asked her.

"Probably," she replied.

"Okay, that's creepy." I really did not - and do not - like the idea of something being up there watching me through a little slit in the ceiling. It's not likely to ever occur but still, the thought made my eyes leak even more, and I got goosebumps.

My own self-scaring thoughts aside, I don't know what to make of the sounds. We spoke about the house making natural creaks and groans as most houses do, but there had been no others, just the same noise in the same spot, and we'd never heard it before. We both know the house well enough to recognise the differences and easily distinguish paranormal from just plain normal. It could still very well be written off as nothing, but with the things that happen there, it's hard to ignore the niggling thought of "what if it's something more?"

Other hauntings by lanapoll96

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lanapoll96, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lanapoll96 (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
NorthCoastie and Argette - thank you for your comments, it's a comfort to know it can be easily explained. I'll definitely keep listening out for something more concrete, since I know there is definite activity in the house. And yes, it is very old! 1800s at least, according to our records. We both volunteer at the local cemetery and there have been lots of deaths in the house, including incredibly young infants. Chilling stuff... Again, thank you! ❤
Argette (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-06-06)
North Coastie is right. It could have also been an animal, not a paranormal event. There are so many strange and scary noises in an old house - and this one sounds old - that it is quite possible the source is benign. I recommend that your friend keep a journal of future occurrences.
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-06-06)
Could have been anything... Houses make noises, the fact that it was a single "footstep" vs. Sound of someone pacing back and forth, etc, or something like that makes me think it might just have been the house. Also - attic stair hatches are notorious for being noisy. Changes in air pressure can make them "pop" - I know this for experience. I wouldn't be too worried from this one event.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: